MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the impact at which you need to replace your helmet? I took a small spill earlier in the year. The helmet has a small mark on it. I did not hit hard. Like the helmet and don't want to replace it unless I must/have to. Yes I know it is protecting my head, but being an F4 rider I am sure Randy will have something to say. I have heard of a drop from 3 ft=replace. Mine was more of a slide and not drop. What do you think?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
How old is it? I would guess if it is more than a few years old it should be replaced just do to degradation of the foam. If you've given it a good knock all the more reason.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I buy new helmets every three years, and I check the mfr date when buying. Dropping a helmet is not nearly as bad for the protection ability of the helmet as falling down with one on.....that your head has impacted the inside of a helmet constitutes destructive testing of its impact resistance, IMO. If you drop a helmet and it damages the external shell, it should be retired, though.

My opinion, FWIW.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
If it has hit the ground with your head in it it is best to replace. Impact absorption is done with polystyrene which deforms to protect your noodle. It is a one time use thing and there isn't a cheap way to see if it has been damaged unless you have access to xray. You could be find in an accident or you may hit hard in the same spot. Is it really worth it?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Also keep in mind that helmets should be replaced at least every 5 years (max) from the first time you used it, or max of 7 years after it was made. The eps foam hardens over time, even by just sitting in your closet, and is unable to absorb impact like it would if it were new.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
but being an F4 rider I am sure Randy will have something to say.
Why, yes I do...........

Not to worry Randrew, no need to replace your helmet. The typical F4 rider doesn't use his head anyway, so no need to be concerned with protecting it.......

(Not my best, but it'll have to do on short notice)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You are correct Randy, we dont use out heads the same way Brutie riders do :blowjob:
Is that because you can't get the little head to perform, eh Joe? :stickpoke :)

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Very wise Dave...

:smoking:
Just like my old grandmother used to say: "A stitch in time saves nine, you ^&*ing muppet".
Bless her.
I'd replace it.
Dave.
Hehehe:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
There's no single rule you can use to dictate when a helmet needs to be replaced. I use mine daily so they're loose and ready to be replaced after a couple of years, but someone who rides for an hour every weekend in the summer could easily stretch 4-5 years.

Likewise you can't say a certain drop or impact = replacement. It depends on factors such as where the shell impacted, from what angle, with what, and down to unique factors that may or may not have partially compressed the liner.

As has been mentioned, even if the outside looks nice, you may have used some of the internal impact protection (one use only, it doesn't pop back out). Next time you need it, it'll absorb less.

If you use a good brand (Arai / Shoei) then their trucks at shows / race meets or dealers can assess the helmet or send it to be tested, giving you a report on the level of damage or whether a replacement's required.

If it's a cheaper unit then you simply have to assume that there's a chance you've compromised the helmet and decide whether the risk is really worth it?

Personally I'd be very wary about a damaged helmet and at least seek a professional assessment.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:
-The helmet was subjected to an impact.
-The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
-The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
-There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Maintenance.aspx

If you have a Shoei helmet and need it inspected

Customer Service

1 - 20 of 40 Posts