MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I think safety standards in the majority of makes of helmet today must be extreamly high but then so are the prices.

considering I had a high speed (100mph+) impact back in 1982 whilst wearing a £20 Centurian helmet which took a major blow but did save my life, The advance in technology since then has improved as has weight and fit.

I still think its a "must" to try on and ensure a correct fit before purchasing no mater how inviting a purchase over the internet may seem.

How many here would replace a £400+ helmet if dropped on the ground by accident (or even a £200+ helmet). The rule has always been once dropped replace.

·
Super Moderator
21,436 Posts
Well, If you go to the post that has the Arai guy explaining helmet fit, he says that a drop, say from a seat height or so, without a head inside, will not damage the helmet other than cosmetically. He goes on to explain that a helmet is a reactive design that is constructed withthe purpose of diffusing energy, under impact, with the mass of a noggin inside. Without the internal load, the destruction of the helmet under impact, unless svere, is not likely and does not require helmet replacement.

Just another thing I have learned from the information on this forum. Keep up the good work! I was always under the misimpression that, if dropped, a helmet should be replaced.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
There actually was a lot of questions and criticism in the UK press (and from the manufacturers) on the Sharpe testresults, mainly because the perceived-to-be-leading brands didn't score as well as their reputation suggested.

As we all know tests have protocols, assumptions, simulations, etc etc and don't necessarily reflect accurately or precisely what a helmet will do for you in a given situation in real life.

I still go for the old adagium "it's good 'cause it's expensive". And it fits well. And I like the looks.

Arai RX-7 and AGV TiTech...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts