MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new arai helmet that I want to paint reed, white and green. My question is should the red be on the left or right side of the helmet?
Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
When I consider the Italian flag, I consider the green portion to be on the left, do a google image search for Italian Flag, and my thought is confirmed. The MV Agusta tri-colore badging on the Tambo has the green on the left as well. So I guess the question is better turned back to you...Which side of your helmet is the left side??? If it were me, I would paint the RIDER's left side RED, so that as you approached, the green is on the viewer's left, like below. Of course, if you are always in the lead, then you may want to reverse it out of respect for the riders chasing you!

Post pics when its done!

Griff
twoeleven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
motorhead said:
I have a new arai helmet that I want to paint reed, white and green. My question is should the red be on the left or right side of the helmet?
Mike
The tri-colore scheme on Arai's Agostini Replica RX-7RR3 helmet has the red on the rider's left side. That said, virtually every major helmet manufacturer (including Arai) specifically cautions against re-painting because of the possible deleterious effects of paint and/or solvents on the shock absorption characteristics of the helmet. As a result, helmet warranties (if not the skull and its contents) are voided by re-painting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
virtually every major helmet manufacturer (including Arai) specifically cautions against re-painting because of the possible deleterious effects of paint and/or solvents on the shock absorption characteristics of the helmet
Many helmet painters use non-solvent based paints. I used AutoAir acrylics (http://autoaircolors.com) on mine (got advice from a guy who paints helmets for pro's) which are water-based but dry to a water-resistent finish. I didn't have the kit to be able to ensure a perfect lacquer finish though, so I handed it over to the aforementioned guy to lacquer for me.

BTW, the hardest part of painting the helmet was masking on a three-dimensional curved surface..

Si
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
48 Posts
if painting a helmet effects the strength why are all riders and drivers helmets painted? My friend paints helmets for some of the F1 drivers and he has done some of mine and he has never told me that it would effect the lid! i think the red looks best on the riders right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
agustacc said:
if painting a helmet effects the strength why are all riders and drivers helmets painted? My friend paints helmets for some of the F1 drivers and he has done some of mine and he has never told me that it would effect the lid! i think the red looks best on the riders right side.
The best source for an answer to your very relevant question might be the source of the research and data...i.e., the helmet manufacturers themselves rather than members of this forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
lewolfmd said:
The tri-colore scheme on Arai's Agostini Replica RX-7RR3 helmet has the red on the rider's left side. That said, virtually every major helmet manufacturer (including Arai) specifically cautions against re-painting because of the possible deleterious effects of paint and/or solvents on the shock absorption characteristics of the helmet. As a result, helmet warranties (if not the skull and its contents) are voided by re-painting.
That's very true, warranty is void if you get your helmet painted,BUT! when I was looking for someone to paint my new Arai I spoke to Arai UK and they said "we send all our lids for custom painting to xxxxxx" but he then added, you will void you warranty!! there again, in 30+ years of riding bikes I have never sent a helmet back under warranty....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
mikef4uk said:
That's very true, warranty is void if you get your helmet painted,BUT! when I was looking for someone to paint my new Arai I spoke to Arai UK and they said "we send all our lids for custom painting to xxxxxx" but he then added, you will void you warranty!! there again, in 30+ years of riding bikes I have never sent a helmet back under warranty....
The issue, of course, is not the warranty itself but what it is in the process of aftermarket RE-painting of a previously manufactured and fully assembled shell which renders the helmet, in the view of the manufacturer, potentiallly unsafe and therefore incapable of being warrantied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
lewolfmd said:
The issue, of course, is not the warranty itself but what it is in the process of aftermarket RE-painting of a previously manufactured and fully assembled shell which renders the helmet, in the view of the manufacturer, potentiallly unsafe and therefore incapable of being warrantied.
Do you think maybe it's because they get claims when the painter re-assembles the vents wrong and breaks them?
If Arai are recommending someone to paint their helmets they can't be making the lid dangerous by painting it, they send all their sponsered riders helmets for painting.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top