MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just bought a completely standard 2006 F4 1000 (yesterday). I've ridden twins (Ducati & Aprilia) on the road since 1993 but couldn't resit an MV. I have done almost no research and it was cheap and it has little history! It's only covered 6500 miles and the motor is devoid of nasty noises.

I've checked the rear hub bearings but otherwise it reminds me of a fast (with rubbish fuelling) version of mid '90s Ducatis - looks great, fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. The noise is however lovely (and I'll need to make it a bit louder).

It's also got a 120/70 Sportmax on the front to "match" the new Diablo Rosso on the back! I'll swap this for a Supercorsa scrub as I use these on my trackday fireblade on my F400 race bike.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend a uk srevice agent/dealer. I live near Cambridge and was thinking of BSD who have looked after my 4 stroke 4 cylinder bikes in the past.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Welcome Steve. I hope you enjoy your time here. We've got really knowledgeable members and a couple of jokers as well.

Where are you from?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve.
Pretty sure some of the UK guys will hop onboard to help you out with a dealer, I only know about X-Bikes, GotoJo will help you out there.

If it's an 06 I assume it's and F4 1000S, brakes are great but non-radial calipers need to get regular servicing to prevent pistons sticking in calipers.

Fairing panel fit is usually great on the OEM panel and paint quality was great on the S modles, you sure you don't have replacement parts on there.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hi

I have just bought a completely standard 2006 F4 1000 (yesterday). I've ridden twins (Ducati & Aprilia) on the road since 1993 but couldn't resit an MV. I have done almost no research and it was cheap and it has little history! It's only covered 6500 miles and the motor is devoid of nasty noises.

I've checked the rear hub bearings but otherwise it reminds me of a fast (with rubbish fuelling) version of mid '90s Ducatis - looks great, fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. The noise is however lovely (and I'll need to make it a bit louder).

It's also got a 120/70 Sportmax on the front to "match" the new Diablo Rosso on the back! I'll swap this for a Supercorsa scrub as I use these on my trackday fireblade on my F400 race bike.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend a uk srevice agent/dealer. I live near Cambridge and was thinking of BSD who have looked after my 4 stroke 4 cylinder bikes in the past.

Thanks

Steve
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! You'll love it. :f4:

Where are you near Cambridge? There's an MV and KTM dealer up in Norwich. Dave Barkshire, I believe. They're pretty good guys from the few times I went up there to chat. I test rode a 2010 F4 that they had as a demo bike as well. Also, X-Bikes Racing is out in Wisbech, not too far of a drive and Chris is an MV guru and all around good guy.

fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. This bit, I'm not too sure about. Panels fit badly? Thin paint? Wobbly mirrors? Bad brakes? Doesn't sound right to me. Fit and finish of an MV is quite superb. You should upload some pics of your new steed so maybe we can help you get these issues sorted.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Pics

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome Steve. If you use the search function on the top right you will also get some usefull info on whatever issue you want help with. Enjoy yr new tool.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Steve,

Forza Italia at Silverstone are good, but there are a few more closer to you as has already been mentioned.

Take it to somebody who deals with MVs regularly, failing that you service it yourself as there are loads of how-tos in the servicing section.

The bad bits you mention sound like the previous user has abused it rather than loved it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the quick replys, I've already picked up loads of info on keeping it cooler and read the yes/no threads regarding de-catting the exhaust and I'll be seeking threads on improved throttle resonse later.

Never heard of X-Bikes, but might try them. I know of Forza as my Ducati's were all serviced by Baines just round the corner, but I've heard a couple of horror stories about how wallet emptying their services are (although many may say the same of Baines)!

Pics bellow, it just had a quick wash. It's been used in all weathers and I need to strip it and clean everything up.

It was difficult to show panel alignment in a photo but one shows how the 3 panels don't line up too well below the Italian flag and you can see the back of the dzus fasteners. Also the throttle just grazes the screen. (This may be due to the front being raised to fit the 120/70 tyre - there are 3 rings showing above the yoke). Also the back of the bellypan rattles when I kick the stand back up.

I think the paint is thin based on a couple of chips in it. My last Honda and my Gen 1 Mille had rather thicker paint and more laquer (the current RSVR has awful coulour impregnated plastic in a single colour with huge stickers laquered over which makes it look like it was painted by pikies in certain light - so it could be worse).

Brakes look like they would benefit from new pads and I'll clean the pistons and change the fluid as well but they would need a fairly big improvment to match to the performance of the radial caliper/master cylinder set ups on the blade and RSVR.

However it looks bloody fabulous and sounds great under load, I just need to make it a little bit louder:). I'm a sucker for a bike that needs a bit of "committment" and it seemed pretty good over the less than exhaustive 10 mile test run I gave it yesterday even though the gear change rubber fell off in that time:(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Greetings Graveltrap,

I live in Ely, 15 miles from Cambridge I have a modified F4750, mainly cosmetic, different bars, indented carbon air duct covers(save the thumbs), naughty pipes, PCIII, etc, etc.
I've used Paul Knobbs motorcycles in Sutton for 3 yrs, happy with the work he has done, including some mods. I have the manual on disc and printed it out, I always hand it over to him.

For major work I would consider Xbikes in Wisbeach(he could fix the fueling nicely for you). Forza Italia at Silverstone are also good, but they are further away.

As for the thin paint, wobbly mirrors and ill fitting fairing, I wouldn,t say that about my year 2000 bike.
Try taking off the fairing and putting it back on with some care, and can you tighten the mirrors, do they have the rubber mounts in place where they fit onto the fairing?

Plenty of choice for more exhaust noise, I have Ferraci/Sil Titanium not so silencers fitted, louder than stock that's for sure, but get through an MOT with just a mild caution on the paper work.
If you are around Ely I will show you how to touch up your paint chips with a flush hidden finish, I have the correct paints, and you can listen to the pipes if interested.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Bert

I'll not be out and about until I've stripped and cleaned it and lavished a bit of TLC on it. However once the weather is better any excuse to be out on it will do for me.

I'm not too bad for an amateur painter as I paint my track bikes but my approach to chips is a bit crude and an MV deserves something a bit better!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
bennetts of barnsley are excellent for service repairs and are mv dealers and also offer a pick up and drop off service ask for paul or russ

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I used to have a great eye for paint work, as my business required it. The 4th photo showing the paint chip looks as if that panel has been repainted at some point. Either way, welcome to our group.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I used to have a great eye for paint work, as my business required it. The 4th photo showing the paint chip looks as if that panel has been repainted at some point. Either way, welcome to our group.
Everybody knew that Randy...I can also tell you the wind was from the east the day it was painted and there was a warm front passing through...:naughty:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the PM Jo, very useful info.

I'm no paint expert but I might drop you a PM about paintwork Randy.

Thanks again everybody

·
Registered
404 Posts
That was Randy at 3 days old, his most prized painting is this:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts