MV Agusta Forum banner

Hello. New to MV

503 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  312R Dan 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I’ve owned several Italian motorcycles Ducati, Aprilia and the like but this is my first MV. A 2014 Brutale 800 ABS. I bought it used a week ago and just got tags on it two days ago. My first ride the side stand switch came on on the dash and the bike cut out I almost dropped it, second ride same incident occurred but this time the ABS light was on. I went home and decided toLook up in the internet what problems might be occurring. After looking online for a bit I went downstairs to turn the bike going to check what the traction control was set to, turned the key on, the display hesitated for a second then a pop and now everything’s dead… and I’m pissed. there’s definitely a short somewhere… Now I just have to find it…
Any suggestions where to start? I’ve already checked all the fuses and they’re all good… Which is alarming. I’m hoping it didn’t take the display out or the ECU.

#2 ·
Did you check the Main Fuse at the Start Solenoid? NOte: Teh fuse is supposed to be a 40 amp fuse.

#3 ·
Welcome to the family !! Where are you located within these United States?? And how many mikes are on your new-to-you MV?
I doubt you have damaged the dash or the ECU. Have you load tested the battery yet??
Weak batteries will cause a lot of problems... the electrical system is very voltage sensitive.
A common source of problems is the 4 wire plug attached to the starter relay shown in Chuck's photos above. Also simply a poor connection at the ground cable to the engine.

#5 ·
Welcome and congratulations on your purchase, id start with the main fuse and ground, failing that, check/clean ecu connectors and inspect for signs on corrosion or ingress. If these bikes are well looked after and maintenance schedule followed, they are immense. Known flaws across model ranges, but most is easily rectified or covered by warranty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.