MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, how's it going? Two weeks ago I brought home a 2018 brutale 800 rr. Its been a few years since ive had a street bike, my last one was a triumph t595.
It feels great to be riding again. We had dirt bikes when my brats were younger but since they're older it was time to get another bike. I can't believe how neutral the steering is on the brutale. 345mi and I can't wait to get the breakin oil changed and everything checked out. The tech said they unlock the ECU? Any comments about that? Does the bike feel different?

·
Administrator
18,872 Posts
Welcome to the family !!! Update your profile to include your location please.

Not sure about the new 2018 ECU (older MV models did not), but it is common on some other European brands to have a limited power map until first service, so "unlocking" the ECU is very probable.

·
Registered
421 Posts
him,

Welcome here. I also have a 2018 Brutale RR 800. And yes I had the 600 mile service done. After the service I did notice the shifting was smoother. The suspension has also "broken in" and I think still working to its optimal flexibility. As far as "unlocking" ECU, the bike was fast out of the box and new. Not sure about any ECU remapping done by my dealer here in Houston, TX area. I can say the machine has been flawless, and it is incredibly fast and fun. My dealer recommended fuel treatment to avoid plastic gas tank issues from ethanol gasoline. Also, I found that an extension was required for my air pump to reach the tire valves: easily found on Amazon.

Post a picture!

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Always nice to see new additions to the family. This forum is full of useful (and sometimes not so useful) information so if you have a question do a search or just ask.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My dealer recommended fuel treatment to avoid plastic gas tank issues from ethanol gasoline.
Do you guys in USA have 'ethanol free' Premium fuel? Generally around 97 octane, but costs significantly more than regular.
I do seen to recall some threads discussing this - relative to the plastic tank models, but my attention was diverted more to the 'fuel stabiliser' issue rather than ethanol content.

·
Registered
421 Posts
nigel,

Yes, we have non-ethanol gasoline available. Mostly coastal, marine outboard areas have the non-E fuel. However, at least in the Houston, TX area it is fairly rare to find. Given the rather thirsty nature of the Brutale, I fill up near my house before riding-- local Shell stations do not have E-free available.

My MV dealer recommended K 100, in small quantity (maybe a couple ounces every other tank) to counter our ultra-high humidity caused phase separation. Hence, plastic tank does not swell. They also carry Aprilia...same recommendation. As we are going into our winter and sometimes very rainy season here, bikes can sit for weeks without riding. I have been using the K100 in my MV, and see no negative impact, and hope the plastic tank swelling does not happen.

| Kinetic Fuel Treatment

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
the non ethanol premium is rare but the lesser octane is easily found. Race gas is probably the best but really expensive

·
Administrator
18,872 Posts
A lot of the gas stations around the North Carolina/Tennessee/Georgia mountains carry E0 premium..... where we just spent a few days riding at the Gapalicious event.

That's because there is demand from all the motorcyclists that travel there. Tourism drives their economy.

The Shell station 1/2 mile from me has 90 octane E0, the discount stations carry 87 octane E0 which I buy for my lawn equipment.

It's really a shame more stations don't offer E0. The ethanol is added at the tank farms when loaded onto the trucks, not at the refinery. All the gas station has to do is order it.

I have found E0 costs about $0.50 more per gallon on average than E10.

Most marinas carry E0 premium....boats abhor ethanol. You just have to carry your can down to the docks.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
Welcome! Please add your bike year and model to your signature line. This will come in handy later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome, i'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures, i have the 600m service scheduled next tuesday so no more waiting to go above 6000rpm, i will ask about the fuel treatment for the plastic tank issue. i was told about not over filling because of the heat out here in the desert deforming the tank and cracking paint at certain areas. has anyone added the tail tidy from new rage cycles? did you have to add the extra piece so the lights flash correctly going from bulb to led? ok so i guess i can add pics now, i just noticed. one of my son on my triumph down in San Diego, the last is my son 20 years later on the new Brutale. i will try to get better pics soon.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
Great Before and After!

·
Registered
159 Posts
@himystein Can't believe I didn't see this! Welcome! Do you belong to any of the local LV FB pages for rides?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts