MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met Mika today at Keith Code's California Super Bike School at Willow Springs.

Will be up here until tomorrow evening.

Having fun... Pics when I get back.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We want pics NOW :stickpoke

Have fun :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
awiner said:

I am going to that school here at Pocono Raceway next month. I can't wait. This will be my first track experience. Please post pics and impressions!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
awiner said:

You lucky bitches......... :flickoff:

That's great!!
Enjoy and take some pics to post here. :conveyer:

·
Registered
735 Posts
ahh i think awiner had a faster best lap than mine. But I had the longest lap, via the dirt of course :naughty:

I am sooooo much better than i was before the camp. I think I drug the fairing once, I wanted to drag something - a knee, peg, boot, the fairing will do. :guitarist

and i'm sore as heck too

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Mika said:
ahh i think awiner had a faster best lap than mine. But I had the longest lap, via the dirt of course :naughty:

I am sooooo much better than i was before the camp. I think I drug the fairing once, I wanted to drag something - a knee, peg, boot, the fairing will do. :guitarist

and i'm sore as heck too
Sounds like you had a great time, congrats on being a better, smarter rider! I am looking forward to going back there for another class soon.

dragging fairing?! :wtf: not pegs? on your bike? was this the 2 day camp or 1 day course? How was the weather? temp in the morning?

Where are you sore? legs? neck? for me it was just the neck that was sore, when I take my Derbi to the kart track I get a lot more sore though, I think because there are a lot more turns(more frequent) and the turns are much tighter. there is barely any time to sit in the seat and relax... constantly hanging off and bracing hard...

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I can only guess it was the fairing underneath the engine that I drug. It was in the 50s in the morning but got up to high 70s during the day and was quite hot and sweaty in 1 piece leathers. This was the 2 day camp where everyone was using their Kaw ZX-6RR ninjas.

A pretty forgiving bike from what i'm told, except for the color. there's no way i'd take chances on my bike like i THOUGHT i was taking on their's.

My arms/hands are slightly sore, but i'm majorly sore in the thighs. Now that I've learned how to arch my feet so my knees are pinned underneath the tank so you can hang off. My lower back was getting weak too late in the sessions.

I had never ridden a superbike style bike before the class so the posture was new to me.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
A pretty forgiving bike from what i'm told, except for the color.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: choose any color you like, as long as it's green.

yeah.. core strength is very important, abs, lower back as well as legs, glutes. road cycling would get you in very good shape in those areas, did you noticed if Keith and a few other instructors had their road bikes there? when I was there last Oct., they went out for a short training ride on the track at the end of the day...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm back... What a great time. HIGHLY RECOMMEND the school to everyone that is willing to learn and can take constructive criticism and apply it to making themselves much better riders.

The bikes were setup using the new Dunlop Qualifier street (DOT approved) tires.

WOW ! I may have to think about getting a set vs my beloved Michelin Pilot Powers once they wear out.

The new Dunlop's were nothing short of amazing. The feedback and traction of these tires was awesome. I have never been able to ball up a street tire edge to edge like this. Obviously the compound is on the medium side of the spectrum.

Throwing the bike into turn 1, turn 3 and turn 8 at Willow was pretty damn exciting with these tires. I would have never guessed they would be as good after riding a bit with the older (and mushy) Dunlops in the past.

As far as how I feel. . . I feel great. No aches or pains. I think my long distance weekend rides really helped to prepare me for the track. The only place I can feel that was 'worked out' a little is in my thighs from gripping the tank while practicing my leaning off body position.

I started having to hang off a bit when i kept dragging pegs. And my pegs had NO feeler on them. The edge of the peg was actually dragging in turn 3 and 4. What an experience.

I am already looking forward to the next visit !

The 2 Day camp, albeit more expensive that 2 one day schools is really the way to go. You basically get 14-16 track sessions with the 2 day camp which is approx. double that of what you would get in 2 one day schools. The 2 Day camp includes timed laps via a transponder setup as well as use of their specialized bikes (Camera Bike, lean/slide bike, braking bike, etc).

The Camera Bike is awesome. No hiding from it. It will reveal any bad habits or mistakes you make and allows identification and correction for them.

Their fleet of ZX-6R's (2005/2006) ran flawlessly. They are kept in great condition mechanically. Some had body rash here and there, but heck this is a race bike ! A little rash adds character.

Streets of Willow is a great track. 1.8 miles with 14 turns, 1 front straight and 1 shorter rear straight that runs into some quick esses before getting into the slow esses.

Another thing that I enjoyed is how genuinely nice Keith Code is. He took time to talk to anyone one on one . I spoke at length with him on a variety of subjects and there was no rush. He enjoys 'helping' people and it shows.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Congrats Adam! sounds like you have a great time.

I certainly will put those Dunlop on my R6 in a month when I need to replace the tires.

I think the profile on the Dunlop is very different from the Pirelli... you may need to make some adjustments.

Where to get those Dunlops for cheap? I will start a new thread in the proper section when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
awiner said:

It's nice to hear he's helpful...sounds like a busy guy.

I'll be going to his wheelie school either:

05-04-2006 Lakeland Motorsports Park, FL $495
05-05-2006 Lakeland Motorsports Park, FL $495
05-06-2006 Lakeland Motorsports Park, FL $495

or

10-27-2006 Atlanta Dragway, GA $495
10-28-2006 Atlanta Dragway, GA $495
10-29-2006 Atlanta Dragway, GA $495

Good to know he's helpful though, and actually "enjoys" helping others out. Nice. I dunno who tours with him, but apparently he has a core group of guys...

Sounds squidly, but I'de like to learn how to wheelie "the proper way". I can wheelie, but not anything considerable like blocks, and definitly not sitdowns. I can bounce second, but it's only up for like 2 seconds. Dropping an MV is not my idea of a nice present :laughin:

$500 sounds like a good trade-off to learn to wheelie in one day vice months, and learning on another bike...a Speed Triple at that!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great report,

I'll be at the school for 2 days, not camp, 5/16-17 at Pocono, level2/3. Am looking forward to loosing some corner lean fear.

I too will be using their bikes.

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts