MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After a long search I finally purchased a first gen 750 last week and have been working through getting it registered (exciting times!)

A quick question - in looking over the bike I've noticed the side stand strikes/catches the bottom of the fairing cutout/indent when retracting. I've taken it off and reinstalled. The bolts are tight so I'm not sure if it's the fairing that's moved outwards over time or if others have had this problem (had a quick search and lots of posts around leaning over too far etc but didn't see any with this particular issue)

Cheers!

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
Welcome to the family !! Where are you located in OZ ??
I suspect your fairing has some mounting point incorrect/missing. Or it has a deformation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm Melbourne based :)

Looking through the fairings the belly pan only attaches via the side fairings so I wonder if over time it has deformed to be wider. Stand mechanism looks good so I think you might be right in the fairing being deformed

Finding things as I go over the bike some more. Looks like the lower rad fan has its plastic fins clipped/melted and a coolant leak from the water pump

Thanks again!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome from West Oz. Sounds like a nice little project, good choice of bike.

Reactions: F4SR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I think the bike has been layed up for a number of years so I'm working through a bit of a refresh process (coolant looks nice and fresh at least... :) )

All the normal items (oil, filters, coolant, plugs, valve clearance) are on the list. Anything else you'd recommend checking out?

Gas Automotive tire Technology Machine Engineering

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts
Service the rear hub...or inspect it to ensure the grease is clean and adequate. Do not over torque the pinch bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi mate, my stand has always touched the belly pan too. I sculped mine out alittle before having it repainted and that seemed to work.
Yea it's an odd one - I placed a bit of tape to help me visualize where it was catching

The only idea I had was maybe trying to heat the bottom of the pan and bend it inwards (I imagine mine is deformed and pushed outwards over time). If I push with my hand the side of the pan inwards whilst I bring up the stand it doesn't catch hence my thinking

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Trunk
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Font Tool

Currently I'm in a massive battle with the bike trying to get it to take on new coolant :). Trying all the tricks from the forum like tilting it both ways and putting the front wheel on a ramp has helped, but it still only got a bit over 1 liter in it so far.

Is there a chamber that opens up or water pump kicking in once the fans turn on that helps get the air out/take on more coolant? A lot of guides (manual and others) say to have the fans kick in however I think the thermostat that triggers the fans doesn't have enough coolant running through it to reach 100C where as the dash gets up to 112 and I shut it down prior to any fans activating. Curious to know if its the one on the head or the one on the radiator that triggers the fan?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You may need to try a 50/50 vinegar/water mix to clear any crap that has built up in the water jacket by theblooks of your coolant.

Also where your belly pan rubs is not where mine did. So that does seem a bit strange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may need to try a 50/50 vinegar/water mix to clear any crap that has built up in the water jacket by theblooks of your coolant.

Also where your belly pan rubs is not where mine did. So that does seem a bit strange.
Sorry by "coolant" I should have written coolant flush :) certainly going to flush it given what came out haha

Cheers!

·
Registered
F4 1000 S, F4 1000 R, F4 1078, 750 Senna, Tamburini, Tamburini, Corsacorta
171 Posts
How do you know, how much coolant is in?
f you open the "coolant-release-bolt" at the water pump,
the radiators still contain coolant,
also the engine.
When filling-up coolant into the reservoir,
you need patience.
fill up coolant until it overflows through the pipe on top of the reservoir,
then wait, 1/2 hour, check the level again.
If it did not drop, start the engine for some minutes,
best up to about 90°C,
(so you are sure the thermostat has opened).
if the coolant-temp. went down,
check again the level and refill as describd above.
From my experience, when radiators and engine are empty (from coolant),
you can refill 3 1/2 to 4 liters of coolant.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,309 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
One very important item on an older F4 is to replace the airbox wellnuts holding the small triangular covers with pre-crimped rivnuts. Be careful because the rear ones are directly over the throttle mouth and if perished can fall apart when you try to take then off and the brass ferule falls in the cylinder. Search for 'wellnut' on this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Appreciate the support and advice!

@Manfred - My only reference point was more fluid came out then what I could put back in - I did have some success both following your advice and also taking off the small hose connecting to the top right hand side of the top radiator and feeding in from there (at the same time the coolant level dropped in the reservoir so thinking I had an air lock). Now I can start the bike and the fans kick in at 102. I'm just flushing at the moment but will use a syringe to pull out the fluid from the radiators before filling with the final coolant. There must be a reason I'm sure but entry and exit points not being at the top and bottom of the radiators create some work :rolleyes:

@esq'z me - I did find these last night! I'm thinking I might order and have it ready for next time :)

@Surfer Dave - Cheers for the heads up i'll add it onto the list!

Thanks again for the support - if you think of anything else let me know!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts