MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen of MV land. My name is Karl and I have a MV750F4, 2000 model. Love this bike and it has been good to me. Recently however I have had electrical (I am assuming it is electrical) issues. I have previously fixed the dodgy 3 wire junction in the wiring loom that was drowned in water. It would appear though I have another potential gremlin. The bike was fine until I had a service person replace the ignition coils based on advice from a different service person (apparently the hard plastic outer was turning to powder). The service person found issues with the injectors and it all compounded from there until I have the bike back after months and it runs OK until it gets hot at which point it won't idle. Last week I took it out on a motorway and it just stopped. It would start again immediately but as soon as I put it in gear it would stop. I realised later that if I turned the light off I could get it going again and limped home. Clearly I cannot ride it again until I fix this issue. In Brisbane there is very little support for MVs. My intent now is to completely strip down the harness from front to rear and check it fully. After finding the first issue I reinstated the outer sheath with scotch 23 tape which still looks good, but I only went as far as the fault location which was at the lowest point in the loom.
I would dearly love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. Hope this post wasn't too long.....
Karl

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi there,
Welcome aboard. Electrical gremlins are the worst. While you are waiting for the knowledgeable ones to reply, it might pay to download the workshop manuals from Donsy’s website, and add your location, bike year and model to your signature. It makes it easier when threads get to multiple pages in length.

·
Administrator
20,557 Posts
Welcome to the family Karl !!! Please add your location (Brisbane OZ I take it?) to your profile. You should also create a signature with your bike model info. These things help all of the members help you as you travel down the road within this forum.

There are a lot of members in your area, and I know there are some dealers that know what they are doing (although you may need to visit Sydney for really good help).

You can download the service manuals from Donsy's site:

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

Donsy lives on the Western side of your country, but he knows the MV. Give him a thank you for the manuals.

Not sure where to send you for direction, but the manuals have some good troubleshooting sections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sourcing - 750 F4 Ignition Coil to Spark Plug Leads

Hi All,
I am desperately trying to find a replacement set of Ignition Coil Leads for my 750 F4 2000. Having used the manual to do checks I have found one lead reading well under the specification and one that is near enough to open circuit. I have found secondhand leads with coils on Ebay but I have new coils and am wary of secondhand leads. Is there an alternative that anyone knows about?

Regards,
Karl

Brisbane Qld (AU)
MV 750 F4, 2000.
48,000km
owned since new.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Hi All,
I am desperately trying to find a replacement set of Ignition Coil Leads for my 750 F4 2000. Having used the manual to do checks I have found one lead reading well under the specification and one that is near enough to open circuit. I have found secondhand leads with coils on Ebay but I have new coils and am wary of secondhand leads. Is there an alternative that anyone knows about?
Hi Karl, welcome!

Maybe contact BERU to see if they have leads without the coils. They have an international contact email page.
https://www.beruparts.eu/find-my-part/21503/beru/ignition/ignition-coil/zs378.pd.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Edward,

That lead is for the later models with the internal coil. Mine are just a resistive plug lead. However I have emailed BERU and I have seen on their web site fittings that look very similar. Thank you again for sending me this info. I'll update you when I hear back from BERU.

Ride On,
Karl

·
Registered
384 Posts
The leads plug into the coil don't they? Rather than being one piece? If so try and find an auto electrician who can make new leads using the old rubber boots. These are not a high tech item.

In an emergency, or just to get the bike going/test your theory, buy some generic leads of approximately the right length from an auto electrician or auto supply store.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tony,

i think I have found a set on the forum. I did look at rejuvenating them but I can only see trouble in doing so based on the make up of them. It would mean splitting the rubber boots etc. But if I can't get replacements I will do this as you suggest.

Cheers mate.
Karl
MV 750 F4, 2000
48,000km
Owned and loved since new......

·
Administrator
20,557 Posts
The high tension leads are just common spark plug wire.... Head to your auto parts store. We used to buy it in bulk.
Now, if the caps are molded on you will need to source new "screw-on" caps. These are automotive parts. You should be able to find suitable replacements easily enough.

It's the coils themselves that are more difficult to find, mainly due to packaging.

If it weren't for the tight confines and lack of options for mounting you could use pretty much any 12 volt coil. "Back in the day", upgrading ignition coils was a common "hop-up" trick.
Stock coils, especially on many Japanese bikes, were small and weak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again Old Wing Nut.....,

Mate I know where you are coming from with the coils and stuff. I rode British bikes for 30 years and was glad to step into MV world where the manual is 60 pages with 59 that say don't touch. The only issue with remaking the leads is sealing the plug caps after having to split hem to rewire them. Unlike an old pommy bikes for which you could just go to the local 7 to 7 store and buy almost everything you needed for the job, well in AU anyway. I have bought a secondhand set from a forum member so hopefully they will suffice. Of course the next thing will be if they don't fully fix the original problem then I am back to the old find and fix it your self. Not quite as easy as fixing my Dommie with 3 wires, being a kill switch and a pair of plug leads.....

I have really enjoyed having your help and commentary and look forward to telling you I have fixed the fekkker.

Best regards,
Karl
aka Phantom of Felix St

1 - 11 of 11 Posts