MV Agusta Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
The 1973 Carrera RS has 185/70-15 front (1973) tires, 215/60-15 rear (1973) tires, 207 horsepower, a top speed of 240 kph (less than 150 mph), and could run the quarter mile in about 15 seconds flat- almost as good as a Toyota Camry rental car today.
...........the Camry weighs 1000 lbs more than a Lightweight

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
To be more accurate, the RS Touring weighs 950 lbs less and the RS Lightweight weighs 1150 lbs less than a 2015 Camry. The 1/4 mile time is affected by the 1st gear being over the spring. Most racers take the 1st to 2nd change slowly as it's easy to get 4th. Once you get to 3rd the RS really hums. The Lightweight is noticeably quicker than the Touring courtesy of the reduced weight. My ex- works car is on another level altogether with 475hp pushing 1950 lbs (dry). OK it has a long range tank and different gearing too with a max of 275kph but even with a full fuel load it is one very exciting car. In fact right up there with my F40 and Sesto Elemento. Chris Amon runs driver training at my local track in a Toyota Camry, he has driven both my RS and was impressed with both. His lap times in the stock RS would have him lapping himself in the Camry early in the 6th lap. Yep we are on modern tyres :). I have raced on OEM rubber 40 years ago, it's hard to remember. If old tyres were available it would make an interesting comparo....but I don't see the point when good rubber is so much better.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
...........the Camry weighs 1000 lbs more than a Lightweight
I love you like a brother, Chris, but we could continue to debate this all day.

After the Camry out-drags the '73 RS down the front straight, is the RS going to try to out-brake the 4-wheel disc ABS Camry with it's 40+ year old asbestos brake pads, or is it going to try to use mid-corner speed to make a move for position...on 1973 Pirelli CN36 tires?

Even if the RS did somehow get by, the Camry would mercilessly run it down again, simply out of sheer horsepower.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
To be more accurate, the RS Touring weighs 950 lbs less and the RS Lightweight weighs 1150 lbs less than a 2015 Camry. The 1/4 mile time is affected by the 1st gear being over the spring. Most racers take the 1st to 2nd change slowly as it's easy to get 4th. Once you get to 3rd the RS really hums. The Lightweight is noticeably quicker than the Touring courtesy of the reduced weight. My ex- works car is on another level altogether with 475hp pushing 1950 lbs (dry). OK it has a long range tank and different gearing too with a max of 275kph but even with a full fuel load it is one very exciting car. In fact right up there with my F40 and Sesto Elemento. Chris Amon runs driver training at my local track in a Toyota Camry, he has driven both my RS and was impressed with both. His lap times in the stock RS would have him lapping himself in the Camry early in the 6th lap. Yep we are on modern tyres :). I have raced on OEM rubber 40 years ago, it's hard to remember. If old tyres were available it would make an interesting comparo....but I don't see the point when good rubber is so much better.
...but can I pick it up at the airport rental lot at LAX? :)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I can put a fairly quick end to this discussion.....Camry or Carrera......Carrera or Camry.....I don't give a dahamn which one's quickest.......which one'll get you laid?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
and I thought it was my rugged good looks:)
Chris, my wife once informed me that "no rich man is ugly......":).

There's hope for both of us, but I like your odds better. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Looks like to roof is a little better in this version of the spyder

41 - 56 of 56 Posts