MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can shed some light (no pun intended) on this. I've just been putting back on my bike all the lights, mirrors, license plate, etc. which I normally take off prior to doing track days. After finishing refitting everything I carried out the usual checks and found that everything except for the main headlight beam were working. I've checked the fuse (even though the main beam and high beam both work through the same fuse and the high beam works perfectly) so fuse is ok. I've tried two different bulbs and both don't work (one is new). I'm a little stumped so far. I wasn't able to check for a current through the wire which connects to the main bulb as I didn't have my multimeter with me. I'll be doing that first thing tomorrow morning. The bike hasn't been out in rain at all (in fact it hasn't been ridden since MV Owners trackday at Cadwell in August) and is kept garaged all the time. It started first time and like I said all the indicators, break lights, high beam and two small running lights situated either side of the main bean work fine....it's just the main beam that doesn't want to work.
If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be and possible solutions I'd be greatful. Many thanks and safe riding to all those taking advantage of this weekends good weather.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section so posting again under maintenance.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Right to the rider's left of the headlight, underneath the metal vanity plate is a rather large plug that you can unplug to turn off the headlight. Did you unplug that? (This is if you are on an F4) I always unplug this so I can tape over the light without worrying about burning the tape.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take out the main beam bulb and cover the connector with piece of electrical tape. This way the bulb isn't onand I can tape up the cover without worrying about melting the tape.

Thanks to all you guys for your advice....but I can confirm that I fixed it....sort of!

As I opened the garage door earlier today a ray of sunshine shot through the opening door and illuminated the sexist of motorbikes sitting pretty on her stands. At that point I realised that I wasn't going to waste a day like this farting around with the headlight, so I got geared up, warmed her up and caned her through the lanes and Essex countryside all day :grin: (we don't often get days like this here in the UK).

When I got back about an hour ago I rechecked all the fuses (the main beam and high beam are both on one fuse on my 2004 EVO 3 F4 750 unlike the Brutale). I checked the relays and the connector for the main beam with a voltmeter and found that it was live. I then plugged in each of the two main beam bulbs that I have and guess what......yep! the main beam worked :confused: :banghead: ! All I can think of is that there may have been some condensation which evaporated during the ride.

Thanks again to those that offered up their advice and safe riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts