MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I just want some advice as only had the bike 2 wks and I'm finding the steering really heavy when riding slow. I cannot work out if it's just me and not being use to the wider bars? I haven't had my suspension set up done yet and I have the standard tyres 120/70 and 200/50 set at the 36/41 psi.

I have only ridden her twice as the weather has been raining most of the time and it's knocked my confidence a bit at slow speed and really worried it won't turn it quickly enough and I'll drop the bike at slow speeds. I've come from a Ducati Panigale 899.

Any advice greatly appreciated:grin2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to say I've not adjusted it as yet and didn't want to mess with it until I got some advice from the forum, thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
assess how much weight you're putting on the bars, you're probably fighting the bike by not keeping your core tight. I would start there before assuming something wrong with the bike unless the tire is flat or the steering is bound up in some way.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
It is most likely your damper like @[email protected] mentioned. It's easy to mess with so no worries. I run into this all the time with the difference between urban and country riding. I'm always like "what the hell" and laugh to myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having read a lot about them this afternoon it does sound like that, I never had to adjust mine on my Ducati. So I'm assuming Lesser is lighter steering and visa versa. So I'll give it a couple of lesser turns and see what happens.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Having read a lot about them this afternoon it does sound like that, I never had to adjust mine on my Ducati. So I'm assuming Lesser is lighter steering and visa versa. So I'll give it a couple of lesser turns and see what happens.

Thanks everyone
Turn all the way out then back the other way so you know the range you have and the feel. It's best to adjust while riding until you get a feel for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've just counted the turns its set on at the mo...it takes 11 turns to fully stiffen it and it only has 4 turns left to fully lighten! Not sure what the hell that means....anyway, I shall take it for a ride when weather is better and have a play.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi All,

So I just want some advice as only had the bike 2 wks and I'm finding the steering really heavy when riding slow. I cannot work out if it's just me and not being use to the wider bars? I haven't had my suspension set up done yet and I have the standard tyres 120/70 and 200/50 set at the 36/41 psi.

I have only ridden her twice as the weather has been raining most of the time and it's knocked my confidence a bit at slow speed and really worried it won't turn it quickly enough and I'll drop the bike at slow speeds. I've come from a Ducati Panigale 899.

Any advice greatly appreciated:grin2:
Hey MF, the comments above are accurate and comprehensive. To summarize, 1. you wanna check if the steering damper is set to hard, 2. make sure you keep your arms relaxed when you are riding and do not exert vertical force to the handlebar, 3. check tire pressures, if they are low, the steering could be heavy, 4. last but not least, the surface you ride on can have an impact on the steering

BTW, we have similar experience. I had an 899 but crashed that on the track 2 months ago. Now I own a 2018 Dragster 800 RR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well that rear tire on the Dragster is so wide. Did your Panigale have Supercorsa's on it? If so that tire has a really steep side profile and makes the bike feel really nimble, plus it's a 190 at best.

·
Registered
350 Posts
By riding slow do you mean parking lot speeds or slow 20mph hairpins?

Tyre pressures per the manual are 33/33psi, are you running higher pressures for a reason?

Is the bike new? Or how many miles have the tyres done? If they have clocked up some miles the profiles could be worn which could upset the handling.

The steering damper settings you describe shouldn't be overly intrusive.

Next step should be to set the suspension up, incl the ride height, per the manual. If the bike is not new the chances are the suspension has been altered before. Is the rear spring correct for your weight?

Good luck with the rain.

Tony

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not an expert on bike set up and find forums such a good source of genuine reliable advice to listen to.
My bike is an ex demo and had very low miles...So no suspension set up and tyres are really good still.

On the forks and in the manual and it states 36/41 for my size tyres, so what should they be...I'm so confused.

I do agree that the tyres were different on the Panigale and yes the wider rear etc will make slower. All the advice has been take in by me and I am very grateful for all the input.

I'm going to get the Suspension set up sorted and have a play with the set up.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Riding my 2018, mileage 9500 with damper set in the middle and tyre pressures at 33/33 and do not find steering a problem.

Professional set up on the suspension made a world of difference

Fitting a 200/55 on the rear allowed the bike to turn easier, did however increase the seat height

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
On the forks and in the manual and it states 36/41 for my size tyres, so what should they be...I'm so confused.
Did something change with the 2018?

1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,501 Posts
What is the qualifier between the two pressures?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts