MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, but I would be interested in getting some myself. Maybe a high performance auto shop would carry it?

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
I would look someplace like summit racing. They have all kinds of heat shielding as well as any other type of heat reduction materials needed. I would also check with any other bike shops, i would think even the Japs use a little heat sheilding on their bikes. Good luck.

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
i just noticed you are out of the US, i still think they will ship it to you if you can't find it anywhere else. www.summitracing.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thermotec adhesive backed heat barriers. Google it. Near as I can tell, they should be able to stand up to water. One of the others I looked at was not recommended for applications where they may get wet. Got to check the local performance shop and see if they have it in stock.
Hope that helps.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
I bought something like that in tape form 2 years ago here in the US, I will dig out their info later when I get back from work.

What are you using those for? I think they are mostly used for preventing plastic and CF/FG parts from melting, if you are looking for something to cool your butt from the exhaust, they may not be very effective...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I bought a sheet at our local Ducati shop (Ducati Seattle) last year ($20), to use for additional insulation on the MV fairing where it comes in contact with hot parts. I doubled up on the existing insulation. It's exactly the same stuff as on the fairing. I also wrapped the pipes (with header wraps) at the bends where they come close to the fairings. Hopefully, I won't have the burnt fairings most people experience.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
machine748s said:
Hi,
Did you notice a lower running temperature after that?
No. I didn't want to wrap the entire pipes, incase it'd mess with the existing map set-up and programing... I've heard it could do that (?).

I just wrapped the bends where they can come in contact with the plastic (in the front and in the back, right below the belly). The wraps basically would acts as spacers when the pipes touch the fairing. I also doubled up on the fairing insulation pads in these areas.

When I had my skins cleaned and re-clear coated (with a much heavier and better clear coat) for more chip protection as well as the wet look, I noticed the burn marks on the inside. So after having the burn marks fixed, I decided to provide spacers (thus the wraps) to keep them away.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
kamranmarashi, do you have any pics of what you've done? I can't remember if it was Velocemoto but I remeber someone had posted pics of the fibreglass wrap for heat sheilding at mvaugstaf4.com...There is always ceramic coating to assist with temp reduction which also gives you a performance upgrade. I have looked into it here in Australia (we don't have a jet hot but it's basically the same thing) and though I can't remeber the exact amount off-hand I remeber it being much cheaper than (jet hot) what I thought. If I get the time today I 'll see if I can find the quote and company.

Heres the link for jet hot

http://www.jet-hot.com/

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I told a lie...I just did a search to find the ceramic coating company I got the quote from and there's now a jet-hot in Australia (VIC).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
odonata said:
Here you go:

DEI heat protection:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp

Where to buy in AUustralia?

Revolution Racegear592 Whitehorse Rd
Mitcham, Victoria, 3132
Australia
011-613-9873-8700
FAX: 011-613-9873-8533

Quantum Racing Industries
Unit 6/23 Booran Dr
Logan City, Qld 4114
Australia
61 7 3290 5911
FAX: 61 7 3290 5933
Awesome. Thanks for your efforts. :smoking:

Revolution agency literally around the corner from me.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
On the subject of exhaust wrapping for performance gain (not to prevent frying the plastic), I have heard all sorts of stuff from significant performance improvement as well as no change in performance, also that wrapping may cause titanium(and steel?) pipes to crack, etc...

Does anyone have any personal experiences with that? it would be interesting to have more info on that topic to filter out the marketing gimmicks.

As for ceramic coating, was the reason for doing it purely for reducing the heat of the underseat pipes? was there any gain/loss in performance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rockethouse said:
kamranmarashi, do you have any pics of what you've done? I can't remember if it was Velocemoto but I remeber someone had posted pics of the fibreglass wrap for heat sheilding at mvaugstaf4.com...There is always ceramic coating to assist with temp reduction which also gives you a performance upgrade.
http://www.jet-hot.com/
Talking to some people (???), I get the impression that most do it for cosmetics. Some do it because "they" think it'll boost performance. I think what makes sense is if you change the exhaust temprature, you are no longer running the bike under "factory settings". If you want to do that, you should really change the set up/mapping of the bike.

My pipes are Sil Moto (Casoli carbon) pipes. So, cannot do the above ceramic suggestions.

Odonata: As far as the seat, you can just insulate the seat with some mechanical adhesive duct tapes. Actually the heat is welcome in the winter time.

Attached are a couple of pictures showing the wrap at one of the typical bends. You can also see where I have doubled up on the heat shield insulation on the fairing (same location).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have cut and paste this but it should answer a couple of questions...

"Horsepower gains depend on many variables, including engine size, type and setup; cooling system performance; ambient temperatures; and other factors.

Nevertheless, cermaic coating will normally boost power when applied to headers for two reasons. First, the coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat. At the same time, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently."

Temp differences greater than 300F have been recorded and increases of 10BHP.

I personally want do it only to keep temps down as it's warm enough here in Australia not to need a bum warmer or excess engine heat and any performanbce gains would be welcome; I'm pretty sure you would have to get the bike re-mapped

Not sure about the fibreglass but the drawback as I remember it with the wrap is that if it get's oil on it at temp it will catch fire.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rockethouse said:
I'm pretty sure you would have to get the bike re-mapped
Yup...

Rockethouse said:
Not sure about the fibreglass but the drawback as I remember it with the wrap is that if it get's oil on it at temp it will catch fire.
.... thus only a couple of wraps at the bends, and away from any drains/inlets. (Unless you spill right on it... it'd almost have to be intentional)

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Odonata: As far as the seat, you can just insulate the seat with some mechanical adhesive duct tapes. Actually the heat is welcome in the winter time.
Kamran, I was asking the questions because I wanted to know why people wrap/ceramic coated their pipes, not because I need to lower the underseat pipe temp. I had a 916 so I am somewhat used to the heat, however I never really needed a heated seat in southern California on a 95 degree summer day... I will remember your suggestion when I get my Senna in the summer, thanks.

Rockhouse, thanks for the article, where was this article from?

More curiosity: If the bike needs to be remapped, it means that the bike's performance is altered, and according to Rockhouse's article it is quite POSITIVELY altered... do we know if are many GP, WSB, WSS or any pro roadracing teams use wrapping and coatings on their pipes?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts