MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, our 2002 F4 750 melted the fairings, nearly setting them on fire, now, to be honest, this was before we got it, and the heat shielding was missing the silver reflective lining it should have had. I had thought of wrapping the exhaust in a heat wrap to help the issue, and re-install new shielding inside the fairing. However, I have just read an article where wrapping the exhaust can lead to exhaust valves burning due to the higher temperatures. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Shane

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
I would not think that to be possible due to the motive forces moving the hot gasses away from the exhaust valves.

Wrapping the exhaust, or ceramic coating the exhaust would not change exhaust flow nor should it change heat characteristics at the head.

Downstream, however, the heat would be deposited more toward the exhaust outlet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I read on a drag racing forum, and other forums it won't burn valves, I did read that as the headers cannot cool it does damage them over time.....I think I will install new heat shielding in the fairings, as I am guessing no one else has had a problem.
Shane

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I think I will install new heat shielding in the fairings, as I am guessing no one else has had a problem.
Shane
You'd be guessing way wrong, have a look through this and the F4 section and you will find it a common problem and also how guys solve the issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had to install a manual fan switch on my F4 1000R because she got too damn hot! I posted a "how-to" for my bike, and it may help you with yours. It may be a bit different on your bike, but it's the same concept. Kill the heat before it rises. My fans kick on automatically at 210F, but by then it's way too late to cool it down, so I turn them on manually around 140F.

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
Ok, our 2002 F4 750 melted the fairings, nearly setting them on fire, now, to be honest, this was before we got it, and the heat shielding was missing the silver reflective lining it should have had. I had thought of wrapping the exhaust in a heat wrap to help the issue, and re-install new shielding inside the fairing. However, I have just read an article where wrapping the exhaust can lead to exhaust valves burning due to the higher temperatures. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Shane
You only have to wrap the mid-pipe which will do no damage and buy some good quality insulation and glue to the fairings and bellypan.You can buy the insulation in sheets,good thick stuff and pre-glued,then cut it to shape.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Exhaust Wrap

Have wrapped headers on 312r with no issues definite has helped , good trick is to use band type clamps also wet material prior to install save your lungs buddy! but I would suggest simply putting in manual switch for fan it's about a half hour job and you can preempt the problem by switching on as you hit traffic etc . I have mounted mine into the rubber headstock grommet, did muzzy fans and water pump upgrade first but switch would have solved it outright as get rid of heat -moving air is the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts