MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the chrome headlight shroud that surrounds the projectors from the rest of the headlight housing? I know that the front lens pops off after you remove the 4 clips, but I am unsure how to go about removing the shroud.

Is it screwed in from the back or just press fit it?

Thanks!

This is the piece...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the chrome headlight shroud that surrounds the projectors from the rest of the headlight housing? I know that the front lens pops off after you remove the 4 clips, but I am unsure how to go about removing the shroud.

Is it screwed in from the back or just press fit it?

Thanks!

This is the piece...
I;ll have a look at my spare light.I can confirm access is from behind the light but if I remember rightly there are some weird star washer's involved that invoke language not befit an Englishman ; ) :jsm:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm thanks Joe. Don't go scraping knuckles or breaking tabs on your own spare on my account though. I was just looking to get some insight before tackling the project ;)

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
What do you plan to do with it Seth? Just curious, I have thought about "black" chroming mine, similar to the TL-S headlights

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Bingo Ian. I'm not really a fan of chrome...anything. Blacking out the projector shroud really makes the lights stand out a lot more within the headlight housing. I also like how the endurance bikes run projectors behind a simple lens with not much else. So I'm going for that look as well. :)

Here's some shots of the SERT bikes to give you an idea.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Something you may want to consider. Headlights actually have two purposes on a bike. One is to light the road but the other is to make the bike as visible as possible to oncoming traffic. It protects you from the classic "car turning into your path" type of accident.

Projector beams tend to have a narrow beam. One of the reasons they did the "chrome" and the two small bulbs inside the housing is to make the head light unit light up and have more surface area to the light. Removing that chrome piece will reduce the surface area and make less light reflect off of those two bulbs. You will be less visible afterwards.

I have a friend that did a projector beam mod on another bike with HID's and he lost a LOT of visibility in the process because he chose to black out the reflector as well. After a few close calls he regretted doing the mod.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something you may want to consider. Headlights actually have two purposes on a bike. One is to light the road but the other is to make the bike as visible as possible to oncoming traffic. It protects you from the classic "car turning into your path" type of accident.

Projector beams tend to have a narrow beam. One of the reasons they did the "chrome" and the two small bulbs inside the housing is to make the head light unit light up and have more surface area to the light. Removing that chrome piece will reduce the surface area and make less light reflect off of those two bulbs. You will be less visible afterwards.

I have a friend that did a projector beam mod on another bike with HID's and he lost a LOT of visibility in the process because he chose to black out the reflector as well. After a few close calls he regretted doing the mod.
I appreciate the concern Chase. I agree that a bit of reflection will be lost with the 2 wedge bulbs (especially since I'm planning to remove anyway), however the goal here is to have the 2 projectors better defined within the housing. If it's a substantial loss in reflection (which I don't see happening since projectors don't rely on a reflector housing for their output), then it won't be too hard to fit another chrome one.
:drummer:

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I appreciate the concern Chase. I agree that a bit of reflection will be lost with the 2 wedge bulbs (especially since I'm planning to remove anyway), however the goal here is to have the 2 projectors better defined within the housing. If it's a substantial loss in reflection (which I don't see happening since projectors don't rely on a reflector housing for their output), then it won't be too hard to fit another chrome one.
Honestly you will probably be ok. Just wanted to mention it so you would keep it in mind when approaching intersections. My friend with the tacky aftermarket projector beams slows WAY down. :)

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
endurance racing lights.....
if you look closely the headlights are upside down and rotated;
http://www.classic-motorrad.de/winni_2002/Z900/egli_kawa_racing_team.jpg

so it lights the corners......immediately in front of the bike its dark, because of the beam cutoffs

i designed and built it.....at 1st we used the giant rectangular Marchals but 2 CEV rounds work WAY better:naughty:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ That's massively interesting! It makes perfect sense too. Endurance bikes fascinate the hell out of me. The spring loaded quick change front wheel setups blow my mind. As soon as you yank the spindle and remove the wheel, the fork lowers kick out to set themselves up for re- installation of the wheel. Mad!

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
Seth;
the spacer has to go away so the lowers can rotate so the rim/tire will clear the calipers
then reverse the operation....calipers have to snap back into position for the discs after the rim/tire clears the calipers...then the spacer and slam the axle

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops...Left that part out. Beveled brake pads, modified mudguards, and magnetic caliper pistons too!

Did you run any of the endurance races across the pond Noel?

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

Did you run any of the endurance races across the pond Noel?
i worked for Fritz Egli designing and building chassis et al

when i left in '75, there were 10 FIM Certificates hanging in the front window

6 were for World Endurance Racing Manufacturer Championships

yes, we raced....one of my bikes won Bol d'Or 3 times

this one, good old #7, we called it "the Freight Train";

why the Freight Train?

it delivered the goods......World Championships

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i worked for Fritz Egli designing and building chassis et al

when i left in '75, there were 10 FIM Certificates hanging in the front window

6 were for World Endurance Racing Manufacturer Championships

yes, we raced....one of my bikes won Bol d'Or 3 times

this one, good old #7, we called it "the Freight Train";

why the Freight Train?

it delivered the goods......World Championships

Mega! A Legend. The Vincent!!!!

It's my favorite form of racing, hands down. I wish it had more of a following over here. I stay up to watch the live streams online but have never seen it on TV.

One of the guys from PB hooked me up with a genuine YART swinger and rear stand. It's art in my book.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Headlight reflector removal

Here is a pic Seth of the headlamp reflector screws ( 4) as highlighted with white tippex

Hope this helps..remove those and the reflector is free.

The back of the headlight is held to the " chassis" with 3 star spring type washers...

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joe that's mega! Thanks so much for taking the time to take a pic of that. Above and beyond as usual. Thank you again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts