MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anyone here has encountered loose threading on the sides of the headlights?

Well my headlights are basically stucked! i am unable to take off my headlights due to the design flaw from mv!!

Turning it clockwise or anti clockwise does not work! Basically the screw from the outside and the nut from inside the headlight has already rounded the plastics which are inside the headlight which makes it impossible to take off! can anyone here help me on this? has anyone faced a similar problem? is there any solutions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thread revive!

I have the same problem on my 2015 dragster.

The left hand side bolt on mine turns from inside of the headlight and cannot unscrew it. Right side is OK.

Any tips on how to unscrew the bolt?

·
Administrator
18,854 Posts
Can you not take the headlight itself out of the housing, thereby providing access to the side mounts of the housing itself?

Should be a screw that secures the headlamp lens, which can then be removed from the housing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Might sound rough, but any chance of using a high speed drill or impact wrench with a hex (allen) head to spin CCW fast? (using the inertia and residual grip of the captive nut)

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
...or put some side-load on the capture nut to raise the friction coefficient. (i.e Tilt the headlight housing while trying to unscrew.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might sound rough, but any chance of using a high speed drill or impact wrench with a hex (allen) head to spin CCW fast? (using the inertia and residual grip of the captive nut)
...or put some side-load on the capture nut to raise the friction coefficient. (i.e Tilt the headlight housing while trying to unscrew.)
Thanks for the tips guys,

I already tried both options with no success.

Even using a drill to spin the bolt in an attempt completely loosen the threaded part inside the headlight didn't work.

Surprisingly the friction taken to turn the bolt before after using the drill was the same.

I can still apply a small amount of pressure to the bolt, before it spins at half circle intervals and clicks into place again from the inside.... just as before

I might try applying glue in the hope the threaded part in the headlight sticks to the plastic. however the clearances to apply the glue are slim

·
Super Moderator
21,447 Posts
I might try applying glue in the hope the threaded part in the headlight sticks to the plastic. however the clearances to apply the glue are slim
Use a very thin glue such as original Super Glue and just use it in one location around the perimeter.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've done this to different bikes but should work the same here. I use to own a shop and the customers wanted the spinning inserts fixed. I've used this trick numerous times over the years in composite and in metal.

Use a very small drill bit and drill into the threaded insert from the side. 90 degrees is best but even a 45 degree angle will work. Take care, go slow and deliberate.

Only drill deep enough to make a small hole in the insert, not into the fastener itself. It is not easy to get a good angle on the insert but can be done.

Insert a steel drift into the hole to hold the insert and remove the fastener.

If you can - remove the insert and reinstall with strong adhesive. I push a small roll pin into the hole and glue it in place.

Once completely cured and dry I run a tap through the insert and add some anti seize to the fastener. Dress the fastener threads if you drilled too far.

I fill the small hole with epoxy and used a sharpie to make it black or silver again.

Customers didn't know how I did it but they were all happy with the end result. Don't worry, you are not the first person to have this issue. Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts