MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an HID system however the headlights are not giving enough power to ignite the ballast. I hot wired the ballast directly to the battery and it works fine but wont work when I hook it up directly to the headlight wires. Is there anyway to increase the volts/wattage to the headlights? I have a 2007 Senna. The other thing I noticed is that the headlights do not come on unless I start the engine. My 2001 MV 750 comes on when I turn the key. Did MV change the way the lights come on?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You could run a direct wire from the battery to a Bosch 12v relay, then from the relay to the HID control unit. Cycle the relay with your original headlght power wire.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats how I have it set up now. I cant understand why mine wont light up but others on this forum have not had any problems. I have tried 2 other HID units and the same problem occurs. Is there any other way to increase the voltage from the headlight?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
hmmm. not sure on that one, however the R/senna/312's now all turn the headlight on once the bike is running. older bikes aren't as fortunate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
your head light doesn't come on until the bike is running which gives the starter motor highest available current at start up, its a new feature on the later bikes, especially good for when your battery is a little worn or in cold weather. Also it gives your head light highest voltage as once the engine is running, the alternator will charge at a higher voltage than the battery output. usually between 13-14 volts pending on your RPMs. Measure the voltage at the headlight terminal with the bike running, also measure it at the battery terminals there should be no diference and it should be at least 12v at the headlight terminal, if not you may have a wiring problem or a high resistance joint. The HID lights use less power (current) than normal ones, they do use high voltage to ingnite but this is generated by the unit, similar to the coils for your spark plugs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ahh forgot!! if you dont get the right voltage at your headlight terminal check your relay as it may not be making good contact hence not giving full voltage through to the wiring and headlight terminal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tribbo,
Thanks. I will check tommorrow. If the voltage is different as you explained, what relay should I check? The factory low beam or the relay on the HID? I hope I dont have an electrical issue as the bike is new with less than 1000 miles.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
my mv has a faulty low beam relay too, when i go from high beam to low beam, the low beam wont turn on untill i rev the bike a little bit so it vibrates the relay and turns it on. its going to the dealer tomorrow for service, im going to have them look at it. anyone els ever have this problem?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MV2envy,

I am not trying to sound mean but I am glad to hear you are having problems with your low beam relay as this may be the cause of my HID problem. LOL..... I plan to check the relay tommorrow. It seems as if this is the problem because my HID works when connected to the battery but not to the headlight wiring. When connected to the headlight wires, it sometimes it goes on, and sometimes it goes off. What a nightmare!!!!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
NFLPATS said:
MV2envy,

I am not trying to sound mean but I am glad to hear you are having problems with your low beam relay as this may be the cause of my HID problem. LOL..... I plan to check the relay tommorrow. It seems as if this is the problem because my HID works when connected to the battery but not to the headlight wiring. When connected to the headlight wires, it sometimes it goes on, and sometimes it goes off. What a nightmare!!!!
could be

·
Registered
65 Posts
mv2envy said:
my mv has a faulty low beam relay too, when i go from high beam to low beam, the low beam wont turn on untill i rev the bike a little bit so it vibrates the relay and turns it on. its going to the dealer tomorrow for service, im going to have them look at it. anyone els ever have this problem?
Sound like the solenoid in the relay is sticking, possibly dirt or rust. anyway relays dont cost much. good luck!! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
NFLPATS said:
Tribbo,
Thanks. I will check tommorrow. If the voltage is different as you explained, what relay should I check? The factory low beam or the relay on the HID? I hope I dont have an electrical issue as the bike is new with less than 1000 miles.
NFLPATS,

I would start with the one on the bike, as you mentioned the HID works directly off your battery terminals, bad or small contacts on your original relay would not get enough current through. Good luck

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
well, my bike is at the dealer geting serviced as we speak, ill post as soon as i get it back and they tell me why i was having a problem with my lights.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tribbo,

I have given up. I finally got it to work and it only stays on for a short period. It cuts off after about 5 minutes of riding. I change to high beam and wait 2 minutes and when I turn the low beam back on, it comes on again, only to shuts off again after 2 minutes later. This is the second HID unit that I have tried...both do the same thing. I guess my only choice is to use H3 halogen replacement bulbs. It is asham that I spent all this time and no results. The light was great although. I just dont understand what is causing this problem....everyone else on the forum that has done this conversion has good results.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
dude dont give up, i can help you, we can use a bosch 12v relay to power it up, and you wont have any probs, what city and state are u in, im in los angeles, california or just ill just pm u my # call me ill help u

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
NFLPATS said:
I just purchased an HID system however the headlights are not giving enough power to ignite the ballast. I hot wired the ballast directly to the battery and it works fine but wont work when I hook it up directly to the headlight wires. Is there anyway to increase the volts/wattage to the headlights? I have a 2007 Senna. The other thing I noticed is that the headlights do not come on unless I start the engine. My 2001 MV 750 comes on when I turn the key. Did MV change the way the lights come on?

Hey you don't want to trade bikes with my R problem fixed. I am serious?

·
Registered
65 Posts
NFLPATS said:
Tribbo,

I have given up. I finally got it to work and it only stays on for a short period. It cuts off after about 5 minutes of riding. I change to high beam and wait 2 minutes and when I turn the low beam back on, it comes on again, only to shuts off again after 2 minutes later. This is the second HID unit that I have tried...both do the same thing. I guess my only choice is to use H3 halogen replacement bulbs. It is asham that I spent all this time and no results. The light was great although. I just dont understand what is causing this problem....everyone else on the forum that has done this conversion has good results.
Sorry to hear mate, go with MV2ENVY's relay this way you will by pass any inherent problems :yo:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts