MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Brute has been stood for a while due to to the poor British weather.
I have been charging with the optimate only got one between three bikes so it gets rotated
Anyhow i have run it a few times and nothing was amiss but yesterday went in the garage and noticed the head light was on and appeared to be strobing.
I put the optimate on it went back after an hour and found the headlight was on.
I have disconected the battery and left the optimate on it.
It is damp with condensation in the garage so I have sprayed the fuses and conectors a round it with WD40 to drive any moisture out.

Anybody got an Idea where to look.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Hiya mate I have a friend that had that problem so he asked me to look into it for him and he left the bike with me and after checking everything it turned out to be the fuse box and I know that it's commen on the Brutale and they have changed the fuse box now. I even think I have one in my tool box.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The Brute has been stood for a while due to to the poor British weather.
I have been charging with the optimate only got one between three bikes so it gets rotated
Anyhow i have run it a few times and nothing was amiss but yesterday went in the garage and noticed the head light was on and appeared to be strobing.
I put the optimate on it went back after an hour and found the headlight was on.
I have disconected the battery and left the optimate on it.
It is damp with condensation in the garage so I have sprayed the fuses and conectors a round it with WD40 to drive any moisture out.

Anybody got an Idea where to look.
As per other reply above.. if there is power to the bike with the key in the off postion (or even key out), then its most likely the SPU (fuse box on the right hand side under the tank) that has gone in the bike. Unfortunately you need to replace the entire fuse box...

The same thing happened to my 06 910R. The replacement part has been superseded with 8A00A9300. This is the updated/redesigned SPU from the 07-09 bikes. Its approx US$390.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Yep...stuck relay in the SPU.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Vesuvio have been a good reliable (cost efficient source) for replacing the SPU

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
your looking at around $400 US like stated above. Seems to be a pretty common problem

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well took the CPU off and it is one of the later models so i have dismantled it. One of the solid state switches has overheated clearly see its been hot. I have a mate who owns a tool shop and in his spare time he races cars. He has an electronics guru who builds his ECU's so he has it now and is going to replace the switch. He does say though that the parts in it are obsolete and have been superseded. It will either work or not but I won't have lost anything

if you are interested I will keep you updated

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
That's really unusual Tricky?? - what year is the Brutale?

We've only seen up to 06 and the very very rare 07 encounter the SPU problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
thanks TrickyDicky... thought that might be the case and Grem is spot on.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
....and are your sure you took the CPU off?....it's a sealed unit and to get into them you've got to be reasonable brutale (ha...pun intended)... :)

No one (on this forum) has ever reported a repairable SPU...however, no one has also ever reported a failure of a replaced SPU (new design), on the inside of the fuse cover is the the correct SPU replacement part number.

Cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is the CPU/Spu. remove four screws in the back cover which reveals the back of the circuit board. This is glued around the top where the fuses are with silicone so if you very gently manouvre it up using the sockets at the bottom the circuit board comes out.

it looks like my repair has not worked though. the light stays off. but when you turn the key only the side light comes on. not been able to start it tank off etc. also the brake light is now on permanently.

I have the positive terminal disconnected. when I touch it to the terminal it sparks indicating current leakage. there is no alrm fitted so it shouldn't be doing that

S'pose I have to bite the bullet and fork out for a new one

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the same bike and the same problem. It's a new box I'm afraid. The garage I get it serviced at reckoned £350 to fix it. I have just removed the fuse to the dip beam which stops the battery running down, I pop it back in when I ride it. Not ideal but I hardly use it in the winter, will get it fixed come the spring as greminn says we will benefit from the upgraded SPU. Seems a very common fault but MV will do nothing about it I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have the positive terminal disconnected. when I touch it to the terminal it sparks indicating current leakage. there is no alrm fitted so it shouldn't be doing that

Have you had the battery out? If so, when i thought my SPU had gone the second time i managed to connect the battery round the wrong way and had lights come on solid... (was a really stupid thing todo, but there you go). You prob have not been as dumb as me.... but worth a check.

If its not that, its the SPU. :(

Simon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts