MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was out riding today enjoying a rare sunny day in Nov on my recently acquired 2006 Brutale 910. Came to halt at the traffic light, suddenly head some glass shattering on the road. Guess what it was a headlight lens from my bike just broke to pieces. Shock and helpless came back home (low beam bulb blew also) - however trying to figure out if there was a recall on this. My bike is out of warranty at this point. Reading couple of threads here and it appears to be a know issue. Any suggestions guys? Can the dealer help? Also if I were to spend $$$ out of own pocket I like to upgrade to the new headlight with projector and HID. Also happen to come across a aftermarket conversion kit - wonder if anyone has tried this unit - feedback would be welcomed!

http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/headlight-conversion.htm

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Forget eMoto....yes, you can put the newer Brutale headlight on your bike...can't remember who did it, but there is a thread in here somewhere. Wiring connector is the only problem area, and can be overcome.

Don't expect any help from MV...I think CAG may have what you need if you want the original part.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
glue failure again!

Chanman;
unfortunately you can't buy just the lens......and that sucks big time you can get the F4 lens but not the Brutale, go figure?
try CAG

are you sitting down?
http://store.proitalia.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=brutale+headlight+

$942.58 :jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

i reglued mine 2 weeks ago:drummer:

the glue sticks to the glass not the plastic:wtf::wtf:

·
Registered
871 Posts
The glass ain't cheap but I got one. Replaced my entire headlight w HID installed in a carbon fiber housing. A fun way to spend several hundred $. So anyway, I have a full intact headlight assembly. Mine broke to, MV replaced it no questions asked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wooooooooooooooooow! that is way to steep.... OMG $$$$$ damn ! one expensive ride..lol

·
Registered
871 Posts
Uuuummmm, yeah, that's retarded, mine will be much less than that. My HID carbon fiber one was less than that. I will be listing mucho stock parts in the classifieds soon. As soon as I take pics.

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
I think CAG had one on his eBay store....did you PM him???

·
Registered
871 Posts
There are 2 on eBay, not for your bike though but still at a healthy 800+. CAG told me awhile back he had the glass but yeah uber expensive, several hundred. I'll under-sell anybody because I only got 1 and will just spend it on the bike anyway and I don't really care. I think I might play "make-an-offer".

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Was out riding today enjoying a rare sunny day in Nov on my recently acquired 2006 Brutale 910. Came to halt at the traffic light, suddenly head some glass shattering on the road. Guess what it was a headlight lens from my bike just broke to pieces. Shock and helpless came back home (low beam bulb blew also) - however trying to figure out if there was a recall on this. My bike is out of warranty at this point. Reading couple of threads here and it appears to be a know issue. Any suggestions guys? Can the dealer help? Also if I were to spend $$$ out of own pocket I like to upgrade to the new headlight with projector and HID. Also happen to come across a aftermarket conversion kit - wonder if anyone has tried this unit - feedback would be welcomed!

http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/headlight-conversion.htm

This is a known defect in the design. I would go see the dealer..and remind him of this and see if you can get a replacement...My friend had his replaced out of warranty...

good luck
joe

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have just experienced this problem, mine fell out on a heavily corrugated road a week ago much to my dissapointment, although the bike is essentially only 5000kms & 8 months old i sense it can happen any time, I work in a major Auto manufacturer Engineering dept and took a sample of the broken Glass to discuss with our Headlight Engineer, he was surprised at first it was a heavy glass lens and not polycarbonate, he like I was also surprised how little adhesive was actually in the tongue and groove arrangement, futher per another post its the adhesive to glossly plastic (abs?) shell groove thats actually failing as the adhesive is still quite well secured to the gass lens, or at least the bits that you pick up off the roadway!! One thought I have to share was to use a small grinding wheell (dremel type arrangement?) to cut a series of small side grooves in the walls of the plastic body so the adhesive has someting to lock onto, my Headlamp Engineer buddy felt this a worthwhile idea as well if only to increase surface area contact, he also suggested a two part acylic adhesive although i sense that typically is for Polycarbonate lenses, any sugeestions or success stories from others for type of adhesive to use??

As it turns out mine was replaced under warranty so I'm left to watch carefully for when it may find its way loose again.

One thing i must do is give a positive wrap to Peter Stevens Service and MV Agusta Australia, they could've replaced the Headlamp that day if i could've left the bike, as it was it was done next day, although I've been critical before of Peter Stevens (chain overtightened on first service) we should remember to tell the good service stories too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback Joe - even though this bike is a 2006 and out of warranty - I spoke with the former owner of the bike and he confirmed that he had not experienced any issue and did not get the glass/lens replaced. I plan to call Trebour Motorcycles today and speak to someone in parts. So changes are that there have been no recalls on this issue for my bike. Shall give them my VIN number and see where that goes?

http://www.jacktrebourmotorcycles.com/

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
MV Agusta USA is under new management and I believe they are watching these threads. I'll send them an email advising them of the headlight glass problem. I agree with Noel; the glue they use on the headlight glass sticks to the glass, not the plastic. Not glue, really, some sort of RTV. I use the stuff windshield installers use. Very black, very sticky. Works well so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CAG - that would be a greatly appreciated. I called up MV HQ yesterday evening and spoke with Ya Tang - told him about the issue and even sent him pics of the bike (not crashed or dropped). Mentioned to him that I had 15 other witness riding with me on Sunday afternoon when the lens fell-off plus the responses on this forum confirm that this was a know issue. Tang said, there was no recall on the bike for this issue but he will take up the matter with MV and let me know of the outcome. Your email to MV would definitely go a long way and validate/strengthen my case. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
No, it isn't. I've seen 1090 in person and asked dealer if it'd work. It won't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, it isn't. I've seen 1090 in person and asked dealer if it'd work. It won't.
The headlamp assembly unit for sale on ebay (item# 220896266586) seems to have a different connector, does not seem like a direct plug & play for my 2006 Brutale 910- will need some customization-I think

Attachments

1 - 20 of 96 Posts