MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after I finished washing the bike that the headlight seemed less reflective in spots.

Upon closer investigation it appears the gloss coat has worn off in at least 3 spots. Has anyone else had this issue and, more importantly, found a way to refinish it?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this particular issue and ,assuming the headlights are finished equally for all models, figured the general forum would be best for feedback.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Plastic car headlights are coated in a UV inhibitor to protect them for yellowing, presume bikes are the same? Over time this coating erodes and then the yellowing starts to occur, this could be what's happening to yours? There are polishing kits for this that you can get, just make sure you re coat with a UV sealer as polishing will remove any of the remaining uv coating and if not re sealed it will yellow quickly again?

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
headlight finish?

headlight finish?

I have 2, 1st Gen MVs an F4 and a Brutale........they have glass headlight lenses

:drummer:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the B4 MY10+ still had the glass lenses. That's why I found it odd that there would be a film chipping off.

1398912218581.jpg

Now that I've tapped it close it does sound plastic like. That's disappointing if so.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,117 Posts
If you take a BFH and rap it on the lens, you will find out if it is plastic or glass.:stickpoke:blah::smoking::hitit:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
That sucks they went plastic, guess on the positive side it saves weight.

I refinished the headlights on my girlfriends abused Mitsu using one of those kits and the results were great. Im sure you should be able to get a "like new" finish on yours.

·
Super Moderator
22,117 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts