MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

so went for a ride today and while i was parked i heard a strange noise, like something cracking or breaking come from the bike. walked around it, couldnt see anything so took off again. doing 100kph on the way home all of a sudden i am covered in headlight glass. The whole headlight shattered in a big circle. part of the glass lodged into my front guard scratching the shit out of the guard and the rest either hit me or the frame (another scratch).

there was nothing else on the road at the time.. has this happened to anyone else?

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
Yikes. No.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Had my headlight glass fall out and shatter into a million pieces (as have quite a few) maybe yours fell out and shattered on the front guard and the 100kmh wind did the rest. Bugger

·
Registered
966 Posts
Get hold of your dealer quick, might still be a warranty job even if slightly out of date, it`s not as if it is an unheard of problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
Just a question: Did you upgrade your head light bulb to a higher wattage? The circular pattern seems to follow the light pattern.....and heat.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope headlight is completely standard. Bike is still in warranty so will be calling them first thing this morning.

Headlight cover didnt fall off, its still attached, thought it may have been a rock or something that did it, looked at all the edges of the break, not one mark/chip on the glass that is left.

ill chuck some pictures up when i get a chance.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Being toughened glass, it will fragment into a zillion pieces.
I recently had to put a new low beam bulb in, and had a quick look at the glue between the glass and surround. It looks very solid, after 45000km on our crappy roads, so I think the older model issue has been addressed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But would it break in pretty much a big oval? I would have expected if something hit it, it would only break in the surrounding area to the damage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think i may just have to suck it up and buy a new one and cope the violating that im going to get

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do we have an issue

Last sunday whilst returning home on the second leg of a 2 day ride the headlight of my 2011 1090RR "exploded", that is I did not see anything hit the lens and the road was clean, the Brutale in front of me was about 100m up the road and we were going 100kmh ish when something hit my left knee. Like Milk said the whole centre of the lens goes leaving just a shallow rim of glass around the edge. I do not think this was a hit by a solid object as there was very little glass in the headlight when I stopped to check it out and the low beam lens and main beam globe are both intact and unmarked. as we ride on the left of the road down here the part # is 8000B3243 and the lamp assembly build date is 28/04/2010 fitted to a 04/2011 VIN labelled bike.
Ciao Phil

·
Registered
14 Posts
She has just rolled over 8000 km (5000 m), however I fitted higher light output globes in both high and low beam at about 4000 km these are the ones with the same electrical input as a standard halogen 55W @ 12V but are supposed to give more light output through the use of a modified gas mixture in the globe, at a guess more light = more heat as the filament would have to dissipate more energy to make more light. it may be wise in hindsight not to use this type of lamp and stick with standard type halogens. I also noticed some heat induced dis-colouration on both the inner and outer surfaces of the rubber seal that covers the lamp access port at the upper / low beam end when inspecting the damage. MV Agusta Australia have no Headlamp assemblies in stock according to the dealer I contacted $1400 in 5 to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
this is so nuts. even after they knew the early brutale's headlights fell/blew-up/etc, they still didn't bother to fix them.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
this is so nuts. even after they knew the early brutale's headlights fell/blew-up/etc, they still didn't bother to fix them.

No, Tony, they did improve the adhesion of the glass-to-housing.

What we are talking about here is folks who put in a bulb of higher wattage (heat output) and that excess heat shatters the glass.

·
Registered
483 Posts
No, Tony, they did improve the adhesion of the glass-to-housing.

What we are talking about here is folks who put in a bulb of higher wattage (heat output) and that excess heat shatters the glass.
I agree it's not a glue issue and the 2nd case sounds like excess heat from an aftermarket bulb. Milk's headlight glass shattering without an aftermarket bulb still has be scratching my head though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts