MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the header and midpipe on a 2008 910s Brutale?

after getting raped by the dealer on an hourly rate i have decided i wanted to change this myself.... they wanted 2.5 to 3 hours labor to change from the stock one piece header/cat to a separate factory midpipe and 2 piece header.

im not afraid to wrench on my car, but this bike scares me. the few time i have tried to do anything i have stripped bolts. Im assuming they were charging me to remove the radiator and such. but from what i have read online that might not even be needed.

im going to reuse the header gaskets, most of the connections are slip fit...

has anyone had issues with the header bolts and the "x" flange sticking? can i get the headers out without removing the radiator... and how long will this take?

any other pointers or something i should be aware of?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
While it's possible to do it with out removing the radiator, removing it makes it so much easier.

I've never stripped a header bolt removing an "x" flange.

I would plan on a few hours to do it right. Just remember don't tighten any of the bolts until the entire exhaust is assembled on the bike. You need to be able to jiggle all the parts a bit to make them fit well.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
While it's possible to do it with out removing the radiator, removing it makes it so much easier.

I've never stripped a header bolt removing an "x" flange.

I would plan on a few hours to do it right. Just remember don't tighten any of the bolts until the entire exhaust is assembled on the bike. You need to be able to jiggle all the parts a bit to make them fit well.
If you are concerned with stripping bolts, squirt a little Kroil on them first.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
I had an issue so I'll comment to maybe help prevent you from doing the same. The bolt that holds the flanges on is double threaded. I didn't pay attention when undoing the 12mm nut that holds the left flange (I work in very low light conditions) and I was actually loosening the entire header bolt, along with the but. The bolt came out, along with about a cup of coolant before I realized what had happened. The nut and bolt were bonded in matrimony from the heat cycles I''m assuming. So just make sure you are loosening the nut and only the nut by using an open ended wrench and watching the bolt carefully. To this day I still have no idea what the torque spec for that header bolt is supposed to be nor any idea on how to torque it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,408 Posts
How hard is it to replace the header and midpipe on a 2008 910s Brutale?

after getting raped by the dealer on an hourly rate i have decided i wanted to change this myself.... they wanted 2.5 to 3 hours labor to change from the stock one piece header/cat to a separate factory midpipe and 2 piece header.

im not afraid to wrench on my car, but this bike scares me. the few time i have tried to do anything i have stripped bolts. Im assuming they were charging me to remove the radiator and such. but from what i have read online that might not even be needed.

im going to reuse the header gaskets, most of the connections are slip fit...

has anyone had issues with the header bolts and the "x" flange sticking? can i get the headers out without removing the radiator... and how long will this take?

any other pointers or something i should be aware of?

ONAGER;
given your technical expertise on the Concorde.......

the dealer is probably your best bet, given your fear of 2 nuts, 3 bolts and 2 springs

I remove #2 & #3 to just to change the filter:naughty:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts