MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, the heat generated by the MV has got me thinking about header coatings. also, i'm curious to see what data and real world use - specifically in the area of Formula 1 engines - is out there on the use of coatings in engine headers.

here's one company in the USA that does this stuff:
http://www.jet-hot.com/

any thoughts, ideas, or experiences from the forum members?

alex

03 r6
05 f4 1k

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fazer6 said:
I have a good friend and neighbor who does all types of flame spray; I was thinking of asking him about coating my headers, so I'll let you know if it works out.

http://www.accuwright.com/applications/vehicle_exhaust_systems/index.shtml
be good to get some data on your bike before and after the coating process. i think the most useful would be a dyno run - before and after - on the same dyno. be nice to have it done on the same day (which means two sets of headers), since atmospheric conditions can influence the motor performance. but at least on the same dyno, if it's different days.

the other interesting items would be temperature data. i'd like to know what the exhaust temps are for a coated vs. uncoated system. where and how to measure this is not something i've thought much about...maybe at the CO bung?

alex

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
altoon said:
be good to get some data on your bike before and after the coating process. i think the most useful would be a dyno run - before and after - on the same dyno. be nice to have it done on the same day (which means two sets of headers), since atmospheric conditions can influence the motor performance. but at least on the same dyno, if it's different days.

the other interesting items would be temperature data. i'd like to know what the exhaust temps are for a coated vs. uncoated system. where and how to measure this is not something i've thought much about...maybe at the CO bung?

alex
I'll see what I can do. It seems that much of the heat comes from the cat, so before I get the pipes coated I think I'll install a midpipe and have it coated too.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
luvtolean said:
Most F1 headers I've seen pics of are uncoated Inconel (a super steel).
If you can find me some Iconel headers for chaep, I'll go for that!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
A couple guys on the Superhawk forum got thiers done...here's a post from one of the guys who got it done:

BooYeah";p="3720 said:
you should see the motor running cooler, and a little boost in low end once it is warm. Here are the numbers for my SS.

Factory 293hp 310ft/lb

LT headers and a few others - [email protected] and 476ft/lb @3700rpm

same on bottle - [email protected] and 678ftlb

coated same otherwise - 437hp and 489ft/lb @2300rpm!!!!!!

And we dynoed it 5 times to make sure and then recalibrated the dyno. The fact that the heat never was high in the header the gas flowed alot faster and my EGT was alot more consistent. But the greatest was the addition of 13ft/lbs and at 1400rpm faster. I will always go with et hot and the new exhaust I am getting (from a board memebr) will be sent to them to be buetified.

Hey JB did you get yours coated inside also??? It is like 50 bucks more usual for cars, so i always make them do it, double the barrier

I have had 17 headers done by jet hot on almost every vehicle i have owned and they are the best.

Is what it'll look like....if it matters, but on your fairing'd bike...it doesn't :naughty:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'd go with ceramic coat, it's better, safer and pretty cheap. We have jet-hot here in Aus now (as well as a number of others that do the same thing)and it only costs about AU$200 to get done.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The Jet hot stuff really holds up well. The old big blocks we build generate a lot of heat and the ceramic coated headers handle it with no problem.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
altoon said:
so, the heat generated by the MV has got me thinking about header coatings. also, i'm curious to see what data and real world use - specifically in the area of Formula 1 engines - is out there on the use of coatings in engine headers.

here's one company in the USA that does this stuff:
http://www.jet-hot.com/

any thoughts, ideas, or experiences from the forum members?

alex

03 r6
05 f4 1k
I've got the complete exhuast jet-hot coated on a car of mine--side pipes. It's pretty nice. I plan to do the exhaust on my F4 as well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have my SP headers ceramic coated.

I didn't take surface contact temperature readings but at the water temp sensor, same roads as always, same temps, I was running 5-10deg F lower. Main benefit seems to be that temps cool down much faster once moving from a stop and it takes longer to heat up (sink). Fairing damage stopped as well.

·
Living the Dream
2,760 Posts
i got my midpipe jet-hot coated in black and not only does it look great, but it is more tolerable in terms of heat coming onto your legs. if only there was a way to get the sil exhaust coated without cutting and re-welding the pipes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have my entire exhaust ceramic coated. Also, due to the melting of my radiator fan blades, I now have my headers wrapped. I love my current set up as I have yet to experience the hot ass or leg.

·
Registered
878 Posts
odonata said:
Sounds great... what's the thickness of these coatings? how much weight do they add to the pipes?
dunno! You might send them an email or call. I can't imaginie it'd be much... :later:

·
Registered
127 Posts
How about somebody posting what it cost to get your headers coated? What coating did you use, what part did you get done, header only or full system, what did it cost?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Weight- not much.

Cost- If I remember correctly it was less than $200, but the lady told me that she would charge more if she coated mc pipes again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts