MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...I took the bike in to have the DC water pump installed. Simple, one hour, easy job. Instead, they called back saying the head gasket by cylinder one is going bad. If there's any good news from this, it's the water pump will get installed for free since they mentioned it would need to come off anyways to get to the gasket.

I dropped off the Rad bracket and Samco's red radiator hoses to be installed. Figured if they're going in this deep may as well have them do it all.

From the looks though of this pic, is this something that could have waited to be fixed, or to hard to tell?

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
If that is a slight leak from the head gasket,a Seal Tab will fix it.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
If that is a slight leak from the head gasket,a Seal Tab will fix it.
But that's above the head gasket Mitch, do you think it might be the cam cover ? That's where my money is.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Looking a bit harder with stronger glasses lol,I think you are spot-on mate.

·
Registered
475 Posts
But that's above the head gasket Mitch, do you think it might be the cam cover ? That's where my money is.

It looks like the hg is indeed compromised and the coolant is travelling up the bolt and then seeping out around the head. That's why there is coloring from the corrosion of a ferrous metal.

That's my take. The only thing that will fix that is a new hg.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
If the pic is blown up the hg does look compromised on the corner ...

There are 3 different thicknesses of hg for my F4. So make sure they dont throw away the old one before they have checked it for thickness.

I guess the valves will be checked now while they are in there.

What a pia

Joe
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
How hard is it to post a picture in the correct orientation?:wtf:

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
coolant causing corrosion??????

really? its made to stop corrosion

you guys see any coolant stains??

it's certainly not the valve cover.....thats oil

and the last time I checked water goes down hill

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
How hard is it to post a picture in the correct orientation?:wtf:
Oh, come on Chuck.....

you want everything :drummer:

looks more like #4 than #1 that the dealer mentioned......

ever see brown antifreeze stains?????

:jerkoff:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's input so far. To say the least, I wasn't happy when I went in the shop for an hour job to have the water pump installed, and to leave with them telling me it's going to be an 8 hr job, and will take at least two weeks for parts to be delivered.

I'm tempted to have the pump, bracket, and samco hoses installed and worry about this later. Sucks this thing only has 3,700 miles on it and I'm having this issue. Guess cause it's a 2006 and seals dry up :thewife:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input so far. To say the least, I wasn't happy when I went in the shop for an hour job to have the water pump installed, and to leave with them telling me it's going to be an 8 hr job, and will take at least two weeks for parts to be delivered.

I'm tempted to have the pump, bracket, and samco hoses installed and worry about this later. Sucks this thing only has 3,700 miles on it and I'm having this issue. Guess cause it's a 2006 and seals dry up :thewife:

I'm thinking a leakdown test would make sense Chris....You could do that yourself...Just so that you know what's what for definite.

joe

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ethylene and propylene glycol (most anti freezes) are not in themselves corrosive to steel.
Modifiers are added to inhibit corrosion. (we all flush and change our coolant on a regular basis right?:))
As the glycol breaks down it forms acids which corrode the steel.
The speed this occurs is related to temperature and the water content.
We deal with glycol (anti/de-ice agents) ingress into flight control bearings regularly in aviation.

Ed:)

·
Registered
475 Posts

really? its made to stop corrosion

you guys see any coolant stains??

it's certainly not the valve cover.....thats oil

and the last time I checked water goes down hill

:popcorn:
Water under pressure goes wherever the fuck it wants.

Steam erosion on a tiny portion of that bolt will be enough to cause a rust stain. Old ant-freeze can actually cause rust.

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
Focus on the exhaust port Chuck

I did Dons, then I went to the trouble of copying the photo and re-orienting it so that it made more sense to those trying to help.

I was going to re-post the photo in the correct orientation, but then I thought: "Why the F**K can't the folks asking for help do something to help us help them."

BE thorough and accurate in your request and you'll get better results.

Then I realized I am just tired and cranky and working nights....so I had a cup of coffee and forgot about it...kinda.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Water under pressure goes wherever the fuck it wants.

Steam erosion on a tiny portion of that bolt will be enough to cause a rust stain. Old ant-freeze can actually cause rust.
coolant at 15.6 PSI isn't getting out from underneath a head bolt

where are you going to get steam? any combustion leak into the water jacket is going out the thermostat, 60mm above the head gasket

and steam erosion? they had a case in a nuclear reactor pipe

slightly different situation;
920 PSI
445 deg F
22.6 ft/sec

1 - 20 of 32 Posts