MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a book which I inherited, more or less, titled 'Hawaii As the camera see it' from March 1934. It will end up with the historical society once they respond, but in the interim there are some images in the book which some of you may like to see? There are several pages of photos devoted to the army and navy, as well as ordinary Hawaiians going about their day. Lots of old cars and planes, and a few warships that remain in Hawaii to this day, but are no longer serviceable.

Happy to scan them in and share if that is anyone's idea of a good time? Who would have thought that owning an MV would also give you access to time travel. (That was a joke, you will not be able to actually time travel, except in your imagination, and mostly in black & white at that.)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sure why not start with the cars (any bikes)?

Cheers...

·
Super Moderator
22,317 Posts
There is always interest for this sort of thing. Most MV owners are a curious lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just going to Hawaii is a form of time Travel , their airport and large portions of Ohau are stuck in the early 1970's..

Love the place but clearly not alot of money going into the economy, but thats probably just the good olf USA every man for himself attitude at a goverment level...

cya
Scot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I remember landing in Hawaii 5 years ago (first time on US soil) and thinking that the airport was a bit run down, but there was a Starbucks every 50m!
Interesting history, US Business men and plantation owners kicked out the traditional royal family at the turn of the 20th century and it became a US territory but it didn't become a state until 1959.

·
Administrator
19,817 Posts
And now it is mostly owned by Japanese (Oahu anyway).

Did you know that even though Hawaii is part of the USA none of the Japanese motorcycle dealers there are part of the USA network. Every Japanese brand bike shop is working with a Hawaiian distributor that works directly with the home office in Japan.

When a US serviceman buys a bike in Hawaii and brings it home to the mainland it does not show up in the USA distributor's data base...so every warranty claim or recall has to be approved by Japan..... As far as Hon-Kaw-Suz-Yam are concerned, Hawaii is part of Japan.

Same with cars....My son shipped his Subaru to the big island when he got offered a job there with Kona Brewing....when he had warranty problems everything ground to a halt while the Hawaiian distributor negotiated with HQ in Japan and the US distributor.

They couldn't win it in the war, so they came back later and bought it.

Reactions: nigelrb and ARAMIS

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's curious that in the beginning of 1900 s Hawaii received a lot of Portuguese specially from our Islands Madeira and Azores and it seems that some traditions still exist like the Ukelele (Cavaquinho in Portugal) and pastries Malasadas (Bola de Berlim in Portugal).
I would love to visit Hawaii but it's like on the other side of the earth so can only imagine the time it took to arrive back then.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just going to Hawaii is a form of time Travel , their airport and large portions of Ohau are stuck in the early 1970's.. Love the place but clearly not alot of money going into the economy, but thats probably just the good olf USA every man for himself attitude at a goverment level...
cya
Scot.
I remember landing in Hawaii 5 years ago (first time on US soil) and thinking that the airport was a bit run down, but there was a Starbucks every 50m! Interesting history, US Business men and plantation owners kicked out the traditional royal family at the turn of the 20th century and it became a US territory but it didn't become a state until 1959.
Speaking of airports, have a go at this lot. I have had several flights on small planes in remote parts of our wide brown land, but these cars with wings would give me cause for pause. If thr attachment stays as a JPEG it is worth making it full size to have a closwer look, there is a woman in the bottom left hand corner who is approaching the fence, followed by, presumably her husband. One wonders what they were saying, amongst other things I reckon it would have been, 'I hope they are serving drinks on this flight'.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
According to the picture description, they are the 72nd Bombardment Squadron and the Observation squadron...what they are is crazy little planes flown by brave young fellahs with a sense of adventure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts