MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, apologies for the newb questions, the nearest major MV dealer that I know of is a good few hours away so I've been reading up on the forum before planning a visit.

I'm looking at the 2013 1090 as my summer commuter, I ride 90 miles every day come rain, sun or (atm) snow. Mainly fast dual carriageway with some twisty sections and a block of fast filtering/splitting. I've got a tourer for winter/rain, my dream bike for "special occasions" and now need something for everything in between :)

It sounds like the Brutale is exotic, fast, grunty, comfortable and so hits most of the marks.

-Fuel mileage of 170 miles seems easily doable, perhaps 190 before dry?
-How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to.
-Is ABS really available? - I've seen no bike/prices/real details other than the initial announcement.
-What are the service intervals ? I'm assuming 5-6k miles from what I've read which would mean a dealer visit every couple of months in summer.
-Looks like the bike isnt too loud stock - I love to hear the pipe on the move but 6am starts with a loud can make you very unpopular!
-Finally, is there any real difference between a base model and an R ? I know that the RR has the difft engine but the R only seems to have cosmetics (led brake lights and integrated mirror/indicators) over the R.

I've got my eye on a white 2013 base model and I'm not a million miles from XBikes so a tune up would be in order immediately after running in.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi all, apologies for the newb questions, the nearest major MV dealer that I know of is a good few hours away so I've been reading up on the forum before planning a visit.

I'm looking at the 2013 1090 as my summer commuter, I ride 90 miles every day come rain, sun or (atm) snow. Mainly fast dual carriageway with some twisty sections and a block of fast filtering/splitting. I've got a tourer for winter/rain, my dream bike for "special occasions" and now need something for everything in between :)

It sounds like the Brutale is exotic, fast, grunty, comfortable and so hits most of the marks.

-Fuel mileage of 170 miles seems easily doable, perhaps 190 before dry?
-How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to.
-Is ABS really available? - I've seen no bike/prices/real details other than the initial announcement.
-What are the service intervals ? I'm assuming 5-6k miles from what I've read which would mean a dealer visit every couple of months in summer.
-Looks like the bike isnt too loud stock - I love to hear the pipe on the move but 6am starts with a loud can make you very unpopular!
-Finally, is there any real difference between a base model and an R ? I know that the RR has the difft engine but the R only seems to have cosmetics (led brake lights and integrated mirror/indicators) over the R.

I've got my eye on a white 2013 base model and I'm not a million miles from XBikes so a tune up would be in order immediately after running in.

thanks!
Welcome to the forum mate. I do hope you get one, these guys site is very well laid out and easy to go through - http://www.mvagustaimports.com.au/

As for your questions.
1. I don't see the point in buying a high performance machine and then worrying about fuel consumption, but I know some do and they might come along and comment shortly. Not too many 2013's doing a lot of mileage on the forum as yet.
2.Chris from X-Bikes can help with the Microtec, give him a Ring.
3.Yes ABS is out there.
4. Close enough on the service intervals
5. It's legal.
6. No, on the Brutale they all use the same motor, only on the F4's are they different. The base model is just de-tuned I believe.

You will note that there are various other difference's, like more sedate brakes, other wheels, less adjustment on the suspension ...etc

Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
72s
Welcome, I don't own a 1090, have ridden lots of Brutales mind incl 1078. So my thoughts.
As for fuel tank range of 190 miles, no chance even if you ride like your gran is pillion. Brutales drink fuel, our 910 used to get around 90 miles from full to light on, bit better now but more like 130 to dry.

Chris knows his stuff and will sort you a microtec but I would hold back a bit until you get some good miles on the bike and see why you feel the need for one. If you want more noise yes that's available, but get a full system and ditch the cat then go for a microtec. Keep the original set up for MOT time.

As for base and R etc, Donsy summed it up well, the spec is in the detail.

Good luck and report back when you get aboard.

jimboF4

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
300km out of a 1090, no problems,you will get that easy from full to empty,dyno tune the damn thing,how do i know ,we have one brutale 1090 rr

cheers eddy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. I don't see the point in buying a high performance machine and then worrying about fuel consumption, but I know some do and they might come along and comment shortly.
Thanks for the comments Donsy. Apologies I should have been clearer, tank range concern is more about convenience than cost - I agree with your point, I'm sure the 1090 will eat tyres when pushed hard as well so it wont be the budget choice.

From what I've read about a Tuono for example I would be lucky to make a single round trip without having to fill up in the way. I hoped the large tank on the 1090 might just stretch to 1.5 or 2 round trips (about 180miles).

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If its going to be a pure commuter, perhaps the 990 might be a better alternative? - it's still an awesome bike, but perhaps not as mental (IMO)

...but welcome anyway, you'll love whichever one you choose.

cheers

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Andy
Not got a 1090,would of liked one but they were too much dosh . I've got a 2011 Brutale 920 . Great bike, rode it to Italy last year, superb apart from a hard seat after 4 days . On a long motorway run at about 75-80 mph I get just about 180 miles to a tank . How magazines reckon you get 200 out of a tank god knows . Service interval is about every 3600 miles . I've fitted MV Corse cans and they are slightly louder than stock .Done just under 5k miles so far and love it . No dealer near me either . I drove 5 hours upto Robinsons in Rochdale to buy mine .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Before I decided to place my deposit on the MVA 1090 base, I was tempted to buy a Monster, but the small fuel tank on the Ducati made the 1090 an easy choice. Anyway, the MVA logo on the tank is the stuff of dreams!! :):)

·
Registered
185 Posts
72s,
I would love to give you any advice on the 2013 1090R as i have mine in the garage from the first week of january.
Crappy weather and snow (again :bandit:) have prevented me from doing any miles on it.

Looking in the garage however gives me the smile any day! :naughty:

Have had 2 bikes on the shortlist. (ugly) Tuono V4 and the (beauty) Brutie.
Couldn't be more pleased by my choice and i even haven't ridden it yet ....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
"How about with a Microtech setup, I've read that it improves efficiency but not seen any indication of how much you can stretch a tank to"

I have a Mar 2011 1090RR with Microtec - I get about 170 km - sometimes more, sometimes less, depending how I ride.

And it rides like a weapon ! :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Getec, 170k out of a tank is dreadfull it must stink of fuel, I get 240k easy everytime before the light comes on and then when I fill I can only get in 16 ltrs so I have 6 Ltrs in reserve, mine is also a 2011 1090RR and has been on the dyne with 140rwhp, I would be asking Chris for a more economic map. I love it because i can ride it all day long with out the constant worry of finding petrol station, massive difference to my 910R which I could only get 150-170k before the light came on.

James

·
Registered
24 Posts
Getec, 170k out of a tank is dreadfull it must stink of fuel, I get 240k easy everytime before the light comes on and then when I fill I can only get in 16 ltrs so I have 6 Ltrs in reserve, mine is also a 2011 1090RR and has been on the dyne with 140rwhp, I would be asking Chris for a more economic map. I love it because i can ride it all day long with out the constant worry of finding petrol station, massive difference to my 910R which I could only get 150-170k before the light came on.

James

What mods have you got on yours James, ie decat pipe pc5 etc.

cheers Whitey.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello all i have been away from the site for some time . my set up on my 2010, 1090 works very well .

i am eddypro`s mate . We have the same set up on the 1078 and 1090 . Decat pipes , standard mufflers, pc5 and race ecu , then dynotune . i can get almost 300k/m from full to dead emty from one tank , even if ridding hard all day milage doesn`t drop off too much . i have 137hp at the back wheel , smooth throtle . i will say even when my bike was standard i got good milage .
here are 2 bikes same set up that work very well . this is just our set up that we can prove works well in the real world . Anyway hope this helps someone , life is about choices :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Guy's,i've got a 2011 1090RR that also gets good mileage,its just done 7000k and is running great,the Arrow Inox exhaust manifold has been a nice addition and the rear brake has more bite as the master cylinder doesn't get as hot as the original,changing to Amsoil has made for a quieter valve train and slicker gearbox,clutchless changes are really nice.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi guys,

I've got a 2011 1090R with Arrow pipe and aftermarket ECU. I use the bike for daily commuting in heavy traffic and generally get ~175k before the low fuel light comes on.

I generally have it in Sport mode. Pretty hefty fuel consumption IMHO. I wish I got 240k per tank :mouthwate

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

James
I should have been clearer :banghead::thewife: :freezing:

170 km when fuel light comes on.

So, about 240 km total.:smoking:

(when my light comes on, in my mind it's 'empty'...'cause a lot of the time I am out in the boon-docks and have no idea where the nearest petrol station is...:jsm:..:eek:nthecan:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts