MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, I think the brand image has been damaged. All these various models and colour schemes in quick succession. Its not only damaged the image but also the sale prices. People are not buying them because of whats been happening and who can blame them. I suspect even dealers have had enough and I feel we could see some of them packing in their MV section. At the end of the day, MV have only got themselves to blame. Unfortunately, I don't think bike mags etc take them serious at the moment. Time will tell!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't think MV have a large enough presence within the UK that anybody other than existing MV owners would notice to be honest.

What image do they have exactly?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hartley Hare said:
I don't think MV have a large enough presence within the UK that anybody other than existing MV owners would notice to be honest.

What image do they have exactly?
Yes i agree with you.... not everyone except us know abt MV progress.

TO most other bikers

Its just a expensive bike without any trophies

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Kind of. I know a dealer was really pissed off at the latest U.S. sales promotion being 2007 F4Rs to $20,000 USD. BUT, when I spoke to that dealer on Saturday, they told me they already had deposits for the F4RR.

On the other hand, the press MV has been getting lately in the U.S. with the 312, Masterbike, and the Bonneville Speed Record has changed the perception the F4 is all show and no go (a stereotype set with the 2000 F4 750). So, I think MV is in the best marketing position it's ever been in the U.S. So, to the general sport bike rider - who may have always wanted an MV but were turned off the lack of power and price, this current sales promotion is a good thing. The general sport bike rider doesn't care about special editions or a $100,000 motorcycle. They just want a good looking bike that can keep up with their friends and not cost them an arm & a leg.

But to the MV enthusiast, yes, the brand may have lost it luster - but MV can't keep selling to the same 3,000 people. ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
antonioshabirto said:

TO most other bikers

+1

·
Registered
151 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
On the other hand, the press MV has been getting lately in the U.S. with the 312, Masterbike, and the Bonneville Speed Record has changed the perception the F4 is all show and no go (a stereotype set with the 2000 F4 750). So, I think MV is in the best marketing position it's ever been in the U.S. So, to the general sport bike rider - who may have always wanted an MV but were turned off the lack of power and price, this current sales promotion is a good thing. The general sport bike rider doesn't care about special editions or a $100,000 motorcycle. They just want a good looking bike that can keep up with their friends and not cost them an arm & a leg.

But to the MV enthusiast, yes, the brand may have lost it luster - but MV can't keep selling to the same 3,000 people. ;)
+1

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Not so Down Here. The brand is very well respected, gets great press, wins a lot of dometsic races, and sell very well. Albeit we are a tiny market so the sales volume is not an issue. Maybe it's because we don't bother with so much of the bullshit that seems to go on in other countries (like the UK).
MV is alive and well down under. Our Importer has been given special models in appreciation from CC including a Cagiva 500 GP bike, so they must be happy.
The reception to the new models is very high with my local dealer saying his bookings are way up for the new models. They are new buyers with most MV owners opting not to trade up.
Also Australia is a very big market for other Italians, and is the largest market per capita for Dukes and Harleys in the world!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I don't see the brand damage. Perhaps the new color schemes are a question mark, but I will withhold judgement until I see them in the flesh. Otherwise it's just continuous improvement from my perspective. Why not more hp and torque? Particularly if the pricing is roughly the same. It devalues the older bikes, but that's a fact of life. Finally, :blah: , I don't see how they had an option after the success of the 1098. Until the new model is ready they had to respond. If they introducted nothing in Milan I suspect they would have been just as much rancor. :violin:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
antonioshabirto said:

TO most other bikers

Most of whom have never ridden an MV and have NO idea what they are missing.

As for all the variants of the F4 and some sort of perceived brand dillution, I don't feel that's the case either. Castiglioni has always said that this bike will be with us for a long time (gotta pay for all that development and tooling somehow) and that the business model he was going to employ is like Porsche. Specifically, the 911.

Additionally, Ducati admitted that they terminated the 916/998 design too early.

Alex

·
Registered
59 Posts
You know what? I have a 05 750 brutale. I love that bike and so do all the people that stop to take a close look at it. I believe that the exotic looks of the bike will keep people intoxicated. I know that a lot of people are into the how many cc's is it and how fast does it go. But to me, it is plenty fast, plenty fun, and plenty sexy. Damage has been done in how much moolah I have spent
to enjoy the MV experience.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
MVASyd said:
Not so Down Here. The brand is very well respected, gets great press, wins a lot of dometsic races, and sell very well. Albeit we are a tiny market so the sales volume is not an issue. Maybe it's because we don't bother with so much of the bullshit that seems to go on in other countries (like the UK).
MV is alive and well down under. Our Importer has been given special models in appreciation from CC including a Cagiva 500 GP bike, so they must be happy.
The reception to the new models is very high with my local dealer saying his bookings are way up for the new models. They are new buyers with most MV owners opting not to trade up.
Also Australia is a very big market for other Italians, and is the largest market per capita for Dukes and Harleys in the world!
+1

·
Registered
571 Posts
For sure, 3 new models of the same bike, within 16 months, it is not a healthy marketing strategy. But, from the media, we read that the company is in a restructuring process (even the importer here in Greece is doing the same, opens a MVCorse store!). Hopefully …………..

·
Registered
576 Posts
altoon said:
... Castiglioni has always said that this bike will be with us for a long time (gotta pay for all that development and tooling somehow) and that the business model he was going to employ is like Porsche. Specifically, the 911.

Additionally, Ducati admitted that they terminated the 916/998 design too early.

Alex
Have read the same from a Castiglioni interview... essentially, when one has a classic design on their hands, be very, very slow about changing it for change sake.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
By the way, at the recent Australian East Coast road race series at Philip Island the MV broke the lap record for it's class against the 1098's and Jap's and one the first race. It would have taken out the day but in one round fell off when it rained. So they race well for sure!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouls agree with most of the comments on this thread. For sure, we are all passionate abbout MV. I suppose my main concerns are the quick changes. It really does de-value the previous models very quickly. Personally, I just don't think changing the paint and adding a few more HP cuts the ice. For the F4, its time to further evolve the bike. Most MV dealers I have spoken to also agree.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think the brand has been damaged, but then I'm new to MV and still delighted with my Senna.

On the other hand, I've been a Ducati owner/buyer for 10 years and I feel about Ducati the way some are feeling about MV, i.e. somewhat disillusioned. I don't see me buying a new Ducati for a long time, if ever again.

bc

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
to the MV enthusiast, yes, the brand may have lost it luster - but MV can't keep selling to the same 3,000 people. ;)
I think they are doing okay and have made a big jump considering they were almost down the tubes in 2003

The bikes they are producing are pure quality and the price is dropping which bound to help

not too much difference in cost now and i would sooner pay the extra few grand rather than buy a:

YZF-R1 @ £9399
GSX-R1000 @ £8949
CBR1000RR or ZX-10R at around £9k
or indeed the £24,000 - 1098R

the time you stick on a few extra's to the above you are at, or over the cost of an MV

and in last weeks mcn they were advertising F41000S parallel imports @ £9499 with all modifications done

far too many limited editions though for my liking

One thing MV can do though which suprised us all, including dealers !
they sure can keep a secret tight, how many on here thought no changes for next year, they sure kept that one tight lipped.

I think we on this forum have a hand in putting MV down, to much negativity
come on guys be possitive

I think they will draw more new customers and hope they do, if they are realying on selling to the same 3000 customers then they sure got me hooked

only 3 days to go

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
There have been 60 Mv's sold in West Oz this year alone.

Thats not too bad, the 1098 sold a heap more, but thats because everyone knows about Ducati.

People still ask me in the street, "who makes that bike mate, [email protected]#$n awesome looking"

I like it that way ,its what sets us apart from the others.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
beancounter said:
I don't think the brand has been damaged, but then I'm new to MV and still delighted with my Senna.

On the other hand, I've been a Ducati owner/buyer for 10 years and I feel about Ducati the way some are feeling about MV, i.e. somewhat disillusioned. I don't see me buying a new Ducati for a long time, if ever again.

bc
Your thoughts are identical to mine in that respect.
I actually like what MV are doing....forever evolving and improving the basic concept of the F4....

Limited editions and model upgrades maybe a be touch saturated for some, but MV remain active in improving their motorcycles every year.... for a tiny company, I think this is admirable...

Imagine life without MV.....would we all be on 1098's ???

Enjoy your MV, no matter what it's so called resale may be, no matter how much your dealer told you it's worth now, and no matter which particular model you have.

Ever MV F4/Brutale is special...I've got an MV that's been superceeded 3 times over, yet it still drops jaws and gathers crowds everywhere it goes....tell me another brand that comes even close to that type of hysteria

Enjoy your MV...because it's special

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I can't see anything what would have damaged the brand MV Agusta. They race pretty well and have with little investment great results. See Results in Australia (Wins), Germany (Wins), USA (Rookie of the Year), FIM Superstock (Front Row Qualifyings, 1 Win, lots of Crashes), British Superstock (Win), TT 4th, Macau 10th. The Brutale was the best looking Bike on EICMA voted by 23% of the Visitors. The MV Stand at EICMA was jam packed. The Bike won Masterbike in 2007, although the absolute quickest lap made a R1. In 2006 was it the other Way, there the MV had the absolute quickest lap. Peoples still admire the look. The Quality and fit of the Bikes is second to none. They feed the market with upgrades and try constantly to be on top. The dedication of the carftmans and engineers is impressive, everyone who visted the Factory will agree. Look at how many vistors we have on our Webpage. So, because Peoples on the Forum didn't got a 675 Triple or a little Brutale, or a new designed Superbike, doesn't mean anything. Here are only a few souls disappointed because they made up a story on new bikes. Where insiders told us way before EICMA that there will be no new Model before 2009 and for the F4 not before 2010 or 2011. Compared to that we got a firework of new Bikes. So what is all this negative talk about ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts