MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The magazines say the 312r is a handfull for street type riding (mainly because of on/off throttle response.) How much different is it from the F4 1000? I've ridden neither, but am in awe of these bikes.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've had both....I'd say my 312 has better fuleing than the the S. Its not a handful on the street. NO, you cant grab a fistfull of throttle coming out of a second gear corner, but any 1000 is gonna be like that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I rode a 1000S for several thousand km last year, and have been commuting on my 312 for six weeks now. I didn't notice any fueling issues with the S, and it ran significantly cooler than the 312. The S was a little more abrupt coming on, but I think the 312 had that reduced by radical ignition retardation, and has its own little surge when the timing advances to a more proper point (~3500 rpm).

As mentioned, any 1000 is just a twist of the throttle away from trouble much of the time. Discretion and throttle control are necessary. I've never been noted for the former, and am learning the latter.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I consider my 312R a BIG improvement over my previous S especially regarding the fuelling, brakes and overall "lightness" (lighter wheels)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I think the magazines notice the 'on off' throttle because they jump off a Jap bike onto the F4, don't forget the jap bikes have a 'twin butterfly' system where you open one set however quickly you want and the ecu controls the other set smoothly and at different speeds etc.

You'll soon adjust to it :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
To me the 312R improvements over the S are nicely incremental. More seamless power, and as MV-999R notes... the brakes and lighter wheels. The latter is especially observed in the curves. But for me, "incremental" is the descriptive word, not "significant".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, people. It would be nice if the mags would give an explaination along with their complaints, a technical but layman worded reason like mikef4uk did.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My first ride after jumping off my gsxr1000 k4 I thought the throttle response in town traffic was awful, really nasty. But the gixxer was the same until I fitted a PC3. After taking the new one out (F4 1000R) I found that as long as you don't trail the throttle and keep it on gently all the time it's much better. Rev's up around 3,500 rpm (lower is awful) and then she's fine. A little more of a twist and UP she goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts