MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the surface of the side of the fuel tank (right below the laterally extended section) is bubbling up. By bubbling up, I'm not saying that the paint is bubbling up, but more like the sheet metal itself is no longer flat.

Has anybody on here noticed something like this on your bike?

The bike is a B3 675 model.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
TheoR, the fuel tank is plastic,not sheet metal, if you tank is deforming it might be due to you using ethanol fuel.
jimboF4

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hi Theo, Jimbo is right, lots of threads on this topic, not just a B3 concern, I know some guys use a fuel stabiliser when forced to used ethanol fuel. The best is to avoid it if you can.
Where are you located?
Some guys emptied their tanks and it returned to it's original shape when dried out, other got new tanks from MV under warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for input on this matter. I'm in the US, specifically, Southern California, so I'm afraid pretty much all fuel sold here contain certain amount of ethanol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Are there any reports of this happening with 5÷ ethanol fuels? In the Netherlands all fuels consist of 5% ethanol, even the "premium" fuels. And we're not the only ones in Europe.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Ethanol and the Acerbis plastic tanks that are on our MVs, and a lot of other bikes, do nto get along. The ethanol swells the plastic and bubble the tank, or expands it ti deformity.

There is a ton of information on this throughout the web and here on MVA.net.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jeni my wife has a 2005 Brutale and it has an Acerbis plastic tank, in the UK we have had 5% Ethanol in the fuel for some years with no effect on her fuel tank, I suspect it is when higher % of ethanol are added like 10% or higher that the problems will be noticeable.
Now I have a B800 I am avoiding ethanol fuels like the plague, luckily I can get ethanol free 97ron fuel locally, the bike runs really good, no stalling, no throttle or fuel feeling issues, so I am a happy camper.
Certainly the US market seems to have some big issues with ethanol causing problems not just in bikes fuel tanks. I don't know how successful fuel tank re-lining is or fuel stabilizers are, but there must be an answer or else MV and others will not be able to sell it's products in the market.

jimboF4

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
There is no good answer. We, in the USA, are dealing with the degradation of our vehicles and loosing the battle to lobbyist who are promoting corn ethanol as a way to liberate the US from the tyranny of Big Oil.

The biggest crock of shit fed to the consumer ever.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well to be sure i wont be storing my bike with a full fuel tank for long this year.
Maybe even fill her up before riding and not after riding.

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
Actually, to minimize the problems, you want to use and ethanol stabilizing product, there are a few now, and you want to limit the fuel surface exposed to air. Ethanol is hydrophilic and will absorb moisture from the air. That moisture will collect in the tank bottom and cause issues with fueling.

Do some research.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Theo,

get the tank replaced and have the new tank epoxy coated before installation, then run whatever fuel you want.

it seems that bikes that get more use/miles have less of an issue, the weekend toys seem to be more an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Theo,

get the tank replaced and have the new tank epoxy coated before installation, then run whatever fuel you want.

it seems that bikes that get more use/miles have less of an issue, the weekend toys seem to be more an issue.

I plan to discuss the matter with the dealership soon. At the time I purchased the bike, I was warned about the issue, and they in fact suggested that when time comes to replace the tank, they'll epoxy coat the inside before the new tank sees any fuel.

When I'm home, I use the bike daily. However, I travel frequently, so the bike sits typically 1.5-2 weeks on a monthly basis. Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've been told that you can pull the tank, drain it let it sit open for a month or so and it will return to shape.

Contact the folks at

http://gastanklining.com

They can tell you all about it. They did my new tank and I could not be happier with their service and product.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 800 is starting to do it to bummer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had this issue in Europe on my Ducati S2R1000, same position, only on the left side of the tank, and no ethanol fuel was ever used on that bike. We (in Croatia) didn't even have such a fuel then :), back in 2010-2011.
Ducati replaced it under warranty, 1 month after warranty expired. Though the problem has been reported a few days before expiration.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 800 is starting to do it. Mv is going to warranty it. It seems that they have already redesigned the tanks to account for the ethanol so it shouldn't be an issue going forward. Bad news is that these new tanks are backordered. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts