MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These new models will sell, and sell well if they would just give them a chance, despite the economy. BMW is selling s1000rr's by the BOATLOAD.. and I have test driven that bike a number of times. The MV bikes are more expensive, but they are a TON more appealing, and have a TON more character....I have spoken with my wallet and I believe a lot of other bike enthusiasts will make the same decision this spring. The impending sale and associated uncertaintly just tarnishes these exciting new bikes. Give them a chance.

End of Story. (I hope I can get parts for this thing in a couple years! hehe..)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hope it doesn't go to the Chinese...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Well looking on the positive side, at least they're just selling MV, not discontinuing them altogether like they did Buell. According to the recent Cycle World, Buell was planning a new superbike, and had manufactrured 15 or so.....but had to destroy them since Buell no longer exists!:(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Agreed Harley should keep mv. They are trying to appeal to more buyers and buell was a failure. Mv is much more appealing than a buell to prospective buyers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, Buell was a failure, the bikes had limited appeal...MV can run with the best as has. Number 3 in masterbike with the f-4. What more do you want? These are world class bikes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it goes to the chinese, I'll be on an rsv4 factory before my vomit hits the gound.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To Harley, it's just a business decision....can they make money building and selling MVs? I don't know, has anyone ever made money building and selling MVs?
In any case, I hope they realize that MV is a very storied brand and not something to be tossed aside as they did with Buell.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Harley wanted to expand the racing heritage as an additional way to get people into the brand. Buell was embarrassing beating 600s with a water cooled 1125cc v-twin.

With a real factory, and not just privateers, mv could have been competitive in racing. This really helps the other brands sell.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They announced the sale at exactly the wrong time, the economy is just starting to pick up steam...terrible timing to sell a great marque.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know i want one, haha! I really dislike Harley so I don't mind them selling MV...
Listen,The current CEO knows absolutely nothing about motorcycles an even though he has a great resume I,am not sure he knows much about business.

Bombardier offered to buy Buell,but instead he took a reportedly $75m charge and layed off about 200 workers in Troy Wisconsin.
How does that make sense?

Very few dealers had much interest in Buells as we all know not a hundred percent I grant you ,but my experience is 90+ %.

I just purchased a 2009 Buell 12xb scg and a 2008 910R(I have AN EXTREMELY EXTREMELY UNDERSTANDING WIFE)pRICES WERE WAY TOO FABULOUS TO PASS UP i TELL MYSELF.
The Buell is not the bike the MV Agusta is ,but at 2/3 the price it is pretty good and similar idea,ie ,fast ,nimble great braking, attractive,etc etc.
Why wasn't any thought made to sell Buells in MV Agusta dealers world wide? Although not greatly represented in the US there are a great number of dealers in Europe.

Jaguar was sold to an Indian company Tata motors and does not seem any worse
Let us hope that the same bodes for our beloved MV Agusta's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've heard that Berlusconi (sp?) is interested in buying MV from Harley. Hopefully that will be the outcome. The man that owns the Fiat Gp has some major cash behind him and it will go back to Italian ownership where it belongs. Apologies to all the American members on here but the Americans know f**k all about building sports motorcycles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've heard that Berlusconi (sp?) is interested in buying MV from Harley. Hopefully that will be the outcome. The man that owns the Fiat Gp has some major cash behind him and it will go back to Italian ownership where it belongs. Apologies to all the American members on here but the Americans know f**k all about building sports motorcycles.
You're right - we don't seem to have that gene. Harley has had, what, a hundred years to build a business but they refuse to compete in the sportbike market? I don't get it at all - they had the capital, they certainly had the manufacturing capacity. They even had some thinkers over there for a while.

Clearly, some type of seriously nasty politics must have been going on for them to just close Buell down. I believe that they could have been wildly successful if they made a commitment to properly capitalize, promote and support the Buell brand. Of course, they would also have to build bikes that were technologically competitive with the Japanese sport bikes - which might be where it all came apart.

So now it's left to the independents. I'd like to see a company like MotoCzysz succeed. There's clearly some innovation happening in that shop. Motus in another one - we hear things about them here and there but "where's the beef"?

I think some type of legal/contract restriction, whether it be some agreement with creditors, the government or other stakeholders, is what's keeping MV alive under HD. I don't think they would hesitate for one moment to shut it down in order to take a write-down against that $1.9B they scammed during the bailout handouts.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
So now it's left to the independents. I'd like to see a company like MotoCzysz succeed....
The MotoCzysz guys are crazy passionates who'd give it all up just to deliver what they think a Sport bike should be. It'd be a shame to see them fail and go bankrupt...The motorcycle community needs people like that.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The MotoCzysz guys are crazy passionates who'd give it all up just to deliver what they think a Sport bike should be. It'd be a shame to see them fail and go bankrupt...The motorcycle community needs people like that.
+1

·
Registered
488 Posts
just read there (motoczysz) web site. Looks like they are getting excited about the rule change to motogp in 2012. They have the time now will they get the backing???

·
Registered
61 Posts
What most of the general public didn't know, but has started to leak to the press, is that the main reason for Buell's failure was due to H-D. Due to mismanagement, poor understanding, bad decision-making, and, most recently unearthed- a possible scheme to use Buell as way to "cook the books", is what kept Buell from being what it should have been.

The now dead Barracuda II, and the newly-successful 1190RR are the bikes we would have seen a decade ago from Buell if it were not for H-D's incompetence. It is outrageous what has happened to Erik Buell, and to the American sport bike effort. If MV escapes H-D still drawing breath it will be a blessing. The only hope for H-D is a new board of directors and cleaning house in upper management- and this time hiring people who actually know something about motorcycles. H-D's recent behavior has been outrageous and an embarrassment to this country. I hope MV gets away from these bozos and ends up with a supportive, passionate, forward-looking investor that genuinely cares about their success.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I attended a poker run yesterday for a particular charity and it was hosted by Kosco HD. I actually have a harley but took my MV anyway (I haven't really ridden my HD at all but that is another story) and my brother has been pointing out to me the age of HD riders lately. They really aren't brining any youth to the brand at all. Not knockin' those getting up in years as I certainly am, but we are closer to ending our riding days (and life for that matter) and Harley has no new crop. MV fills that gap and maintains that the sportbike "division" is as premium as the cruisers portion of the company. It sheer silliness and I believe that HD will pay the price in the end. Hell, one of the dealerships in our area went out of business. When in the last 25 years did you think an HD dealer couldn't make it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered some parts from Evolutione, just got an email about the carbn rear hugger saying that they have to run extra molds due to the demand and they are back ordered. These bikes must be selling well???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts