MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took delivery of my 2013 F3 675 two years ago today. If you search my name you’ll find the whole bleeping story from agony to ecstasy and back again. It’s been one heck of roller coaster ride and it’s not done yet.
As I stated in another thread I was going to expand on my latest trip to the selling dealer so here it is.

With my warranty coming to an end and several issues still left unresolved I wanted to get things straight with the dealer and recorded for MV Agusta Canada.
I have complained about the bike stalling since day one. Each new map was to have fixed this problem but it always came back. The tech downloaded the latest map (dated February 2014) and took it for a test ride. It stalled on him and he said it was the clutch that was out of adjustment. So he fixed that and declared I’d never have another stall. Well guess what? It’s the worst it’s ever been. It not only stalls when coming to a stop but now does this weird blip thing where it jumps one to two thousand r.p.m. at idle. Makes for a scary start when you're letting out the clutch and feeding it more throttle only to have it stall as the r.p.m.'s drop to zero locking up the rear wheel.
So now it stalls when trying to pull away as well as coming to a stop :wtf:
I’ve had several scary incidents. Like having the bike stall when trying to downshift into 1st for a very tight, extremely steep downhill right turn on a north Georgian mountain road. Lucky for me the rear tire skidded to the left and I was able to the turn and keep the bike in my lane as I frantically tried to re fire the engine.
Another odd problem the bike has had off and on is starting on two cylinders. If it doesn’t clear itself within a few minutes a quick off and re start usually but not always would fix it. That is until earlier this month when I was forced to ride it some 20 kilometers on 2 cylinders. It stalled when trying to cross a busy intersection and I was almost collected by a fast accelerating car from behind.
Yesterday I was bumped twice from behind when the bike stalled on takeoff and caught out the drivers behind me. I was called some very unpleasant things by irate drivers. :jsm:
Besides the safety issue there is the shear frustration of not knowing when the bike will quit.
I had the same, progressively getting harder to start syndrome due to the crap stock battery. I’ve ranted about this but will mention it again as I am being penalized for taking good care of that thing and getting it to last almost the full two years. I say penalized because people who bought bikes after me and complained within months got their new batteries for free. Me? I had to pay.
There are all the fit and finish issues that were never addressed but the bubbled fuel tank is the one that I’m most upset about.

And let’s not forget that its seven hours round trip and over two full tanks of fuel plus a day’s wages each time I take my bike to the dealer for service. Also, if they can’t fix it that day I have to leave the bike and return another day to retrieve it. That happened several times including the delivery day. That day the wife and I both took time off and drove down to pick up the new bike. But, someone screwed up and they couldn’t down load the new map so they wouldn’t let us take it. We came home the first time with just and empty crate and the promise of some form of compensation for our trouble. (Compensation that I’ve never received!) As it turned out they delivered the bike to me the next day with that hateful first map. The one that all the reporters were so critical of at the Paul Ricard press launch. At my first service the tech said he was advised not to try a second download. Instead, he played around with the custom map and told me to ride in only that or rain mode. I didn’t get the proper map until much later. (It didn't help.)

So, if you’ve read this far I’d like to hear what you think. Am I stupid for keeping this thing? Does putting up with these headaches make me a true MV enthusiast or some kind of whack job?
Hopefully I’ll hear from the dealer today and he’ll have a plan to correct all these issues.
But, I think I’ll phone him and tell him that I’ve posted this.
Let the games begin. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Stephen, sorry to hear this tale of woe. I am not sure I would have hung with it as long as you have. I know others claim they have had little or no issues. Makes one wonder if you got lemon bike.....either way it sucks they can't seem to fix it.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes temperamental to say the least... Mine's been Ok so far (one or two stalls) - knock on wood.

When I'm in a bad mood I prefer not to ride as the bike can exacerbate it's negative qualities. If the weather is right, roads are right and the mood is right, there isn't another bike I would prefer to be on.

Find another dealer. Pity you cant fix most of the issues at home anymore.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Stalling that much doesn't sound safe at all. Also sounds like your dealer has been progressively making things worse on your bike. It's probably a corroded connector causing all your woes as it sounds like they've only been playing with adjustments and updates. Send this story to MV Agusta Canada directly and hope they feel your pain and try to make it right. My dealer charged me for a battery replacement when the Koyo crapped out 2 weeks after I bought the bike...I know how that burns, but I should have found this forum prior to purchase and asked them to put a better battery in before purchase. Live and learn.

You're definitely an MV hardcore, but you didn't deserve this rough a ride. I hate electrical gremlins, push them to service every connector (preferably for free) and see if it helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes mate. After lurking on here for a few weeks before pulling the trigger, I knew that the bike wasn't flawless but in your case it sounds like the dealer could have a better job with your ownership experience.
After barely a month of ownership my battery can't seem to hold a charge between weekly rides. I'm starting to think that free battery tender was offered out of necessity.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should clarify a couple of things.

First, I’m a huge Tamburini fan, HUGE! I had been lusting after an F4 ever since their release. However, Canada just got an importer and starting selling the base F4 1000 summer of 2011. When I enquired about dealers and prices I learned that the F3 was coming summer of 2012 so, I made my mind up to get one.

Having dealt with Cagiva when they owned Ducati I thought I knew what I was getting into. I found out I really didn’t. What with the first year of a new model, the smallish dealer network and the downsizing of the Cagiva, now the MV Agusta company, the support I’d hope would be there just hasn’t been.
I must emphasize that I really want MV to succeed, in Canada as well as worldwide. I’m ecstatic about the success the F3 is having in World Supersports and that more and more people recognise my bike.
I wish I could do more to promote the brand but at the same time I feel that I’m getting the shaft. Whether intentionally or not, as a customer, I feel as if I’m not taken seriously. And that's from the MV Agusta Canada rep more so than the tech at the dealership. Tim and I have had many long talks about my bike and the F3 problems in general. He also monitors this site so he knows I'm PISSED!

I fully agree about having to be in the right mood. I guess that’s why I’m so upset now. The wife and I had plans for riding this weekend but now I won’t go near my F3. I had too many near death experiences yesterday.

So, I’ve just paid to plate my 15 year old Ducati 900 SS FE that we may still have our weekend ride. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Stephen, I don't frequent the F3 threads because I know bugger all about them and probably can't help much with troubleshooting. So this is all news to me.

My opinion is that you're riding a bloody death trap so I agree with your comments above.
My advice has to be don't ride it again until it is 100% safe to do so.

I don't want to hear that one of these near misses has lead to severe injury or worse.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hi Stephen, hope you are well.
Did you ever get the replacement throttle tube for your bike? I know a few people had these replaced under warranty after having similar odd throttle response as you have described. Please, please, please throw away the standard battery and put a good one in there, I am sure this alone will improve things for you immediately, and the money it costs will soon be forgotten.
And lastly, you are undoubtedly some kind of whack job, as are all of us here.:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo Da_castle, there are already a number of members here on this forum who have dropped their bikes due to stalling. Luckily so far, no serious injuries. But, it’s just a matter of time…
Greg-o-stini dude, you must have missed the part where I said that I now have a new Yuasa battery that I paid for.
And no, I didn’t get the new throttle tube because the dealer said it was only needed on the 800’s.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Getting bumped by a car would be enough for litigation at this point.

To me it seems as though your bike is a safety hazard, both to you and others.

I would shelf that bike and work towards getting it replaced, maybe it's a lemon. It happens in manufacturing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I feel your pain Stephen. I have been quiet about my issues but I have had similar problems with both my F3's which is the reason I may be selling my black one. Currently my Red/Silver F3 is in the shop again and will probably be there until September at this point while the dealer waits on a new tank from Italy. I love them when they are right which is why I have kept them this long. My warranty is up August 8th so I too am having as much documented as I can before that days comes.

Matt

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stephen, I sympathise with you, I really do. Like you, I am genuine in wishing MV continuity and success, however, the many and consistent problems, both on bike and in the network really leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. The following is a pointer to how the MV network thinks about their customers: I have been waiting for some months now for the throttle fix on my F3 800. After initially contacting MV Australia, the response was that I was the first ever to complain about it and it was not a problem. ???? I have had 3 ECU installed and a complete rewire. Even though it has the latest mapping, low speed running is still a major problem, which I put down to the throttle tube. Now having said that, since the new Eldor unit has been installed (from a different batch) and the rewire, it has not skipped a beat and is magical (apart from the throttle). When that is finally sorted, I cannot see myself parting with this bike. I may in time add to the stable, but it will never be at the expense of this exquisite machine. Unfortunately your situation would definitely be intolerable to me. That is a depressing and dangerous mix of carelessness, incompetence and well, just a one off? lemon. Keep fighting the good fight Stephen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also "feel your pain" mine cost quiet substantially more than a standard bike, it didn't come with all the correct parts (2 months on i'm still waiting), it's broken down twice, first time a fuel connection came loose and spewd fuel everywhere the second time the side stand switch broke (it's still in the dealers) and to top it off the gearbox is full of neutrals. Well i suppose i should be happy in the fact that it looks good and doesn't stall ;o)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Stephen, do you guys have lemon laws in Canada like we do here in the US? If you have repeated and documented issues with a vehicle they can be forced to replace it with a new one. A long and painful legal route to go no doubt but given your bikes problems it may be worth pursuing if you have that option.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The short answer is no. There are agencies and associations that can help but they are geared towards the auto/truck sector. Motorcycles are considered pleasure crafts and so are not cover the same.

Update:
In talking to the selling dealer's principle he informed me that Ontario DOES have a lemon law now. He suggested that if I'm unhappy after this latest round of "fixes" that I should push MV Agusta Canada for a new bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stephen I feel your pain. Those near misses are ridiculous and the lack of proper support from the dealer is even worse. If I were in your situation, I would not be riding that bike and I'd have the a claim to the insurance company quick cause you know I had a crash and it's totaled.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Stephen, I like the others feel your pain, I am in a similar situ with my B800, except mine is just one year old, my problem is not stalling, more to do with error messages on the dash and a dead throttle gas position thing going on, it is dangerous and despite many attempts by my dealer to discover whats going on I am in despair. Nearly chopped the bike in a few times just to be rid of the problem. The long distance dealer thing and lots of time lost riding is painful.

I do not think your dealer or importer will ever sort the issue, the factory can not provide an answer so maybe it is time to draw a line, get your money back and move along whichever way that takes you. It will be painful and cost a bit but riding a bike that is putting you and your loved ones in jeopardy is just not a sane situ.

Move on, you need to get the fun factor back and no one here will blame you, MV have let you down, it is as simple as that.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
With that said Jimbo, I don't think you're in a similar situation to Stephen:

You keep bringing up the dead throttle grip position sensor issue every now and then. I've explained every single time that a new replacement grip is available with a NEW part number that can be easily identified by the heavier return spring. I even posted the part number and its price (I replaced mine just for the peace of mind and improved feel, though in your case the warranty would have covered it).

You can buy the part through the dealer or have it replaced under warranty or if the 80 pounds its gonna cost doesn't bug you, you can purchase it online and have it shipped to your door through design Corse, Evolution bike or Startwin trading.

Except, you didn't replace it, you took it apart and tried to clean it after which I lost interest in helping and stopped following. Now you post again with despair at this tragic situation.

Stephen, why haven't you tried another dealer yet? Maybe make a phone call across the border to hear from other dealership's experiences? You've been fighting this thing since you bought the bike (I remember you bringing only the crate home when you purchased it)? How can you even be sure your dealer is loading the latest maps and correctly at that? Since the start of ownership, have you ever tried a fuel without ethanol (just to see what would happen perhaps)? Does your dealer know how to use the diagnostic tools properly (Texa)?

You know most automotive dealers (MV is hardly unique here) are completely useless and the less thinking you can help them with the better.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
With that said Jimbo, I don't think you're in a similar situation to Stephen:

You keep bringing up the dead throttle grip position sensor issue every now and then. I've explained every single time that a new replacement grip is available with a NEW part number that can be easily identified by the heavier return spring. I even posted the part number and its price (I replaced mine just for the peace of mind and improved feel, though in your case the warranty would have covered it).

You can buy the part through the dealer or have it replaced under warranty or if the 80 pounds its gonna cost doesn't bug you, you can purchase it online and have it shipped to your door through design Corse, Evolution bike or Startwin trading.

Except, you didn't replace it, you took it apart and tried to clean it after which I lost interest in helping and stopped following. Now you post again with despair at this tragic situation.

PT
You are incorrect in your statement, my throttle issue is an intermintant fault, some days the bike runs like a dream, on others it can be a right pain. I have not cleaned the throttle, I only posted a question had anyone ever tried to clean one before and the answer would appear to be no.
My bike is half way through its warranty, I would buy a new throttle if that was the issue but having now had a chat with another MV dealer I have booked the bike in for them to look at it. If the fault appears they said the factory solution to this problem is new throttle, new loom, new rhrottlebodies and possibly new ECU.

That's where I am at, we shall see.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
< snip >Stephen, why haven't you tried another dealer yet? Maybe make a phone call across the border to hear from other dealership's experiences? You've been fighting this thing since you bought the bike (I remember you bringing only the crate home when you purchased it)? How can you even be sure your dealer is loading the latest maps and correctly at that? Since the start of ownership, have you ever tried a fuel without ethanol (just to see what would happen perhaps)? Does your dealer know how to use the diagnostic tools properly (Texa)?

You know most automotive dealers (MV is hardly unique here) are completely useless and the less thinking you can help them with the better.
You must understand that MV dealers are few and far between here. The dealer I originally placed my deposit with (but who was not able to deliver a red/silver F# to me, long story) actually saw the bike a couple of times. I always felt good in that store but it recently went out of business. There are only two other shops in all of Ontario (plus my selling dealer makes three). One gave me a bad feeling while the other is just as far away as my selling dealer. Plus, it’s in the other direction which means driving through major centers like Toronto on congested freeways.

Last September when I had my scare on the mountain I took the bike to Riders Hill, Dahlonega Georgia. The mechanic there loaded the map that had just been released. After a test ride he honestly thought it had fixed the issues, as did I. However, the issues returned.

The way the download feature works is that the dealer logs onto the MV site. They have to do this for each and every bike. It’s not like they have a copies on the shop's hard drive. Also, MV replaces old maps with each newer one so, there is no way to reload a previous map. It is possible to screw up the download and to have faulty or missing code but, if the tech follows the instructions to the letter it should work right.

I run Shell 91 V-Plus or Esso Extra 91 as a rule. However, with only getting an average of 170 kilometers per tank it’s not always possible. It’s even harder when riding in the US where I have limited knowledge of where to buy ethanol free fuel.

I believe the tech I’m dealing with is very capable but like others he is under pressure not to waste time/money. He’s not about to commit to something until he knows MV Canada is going to pay him and MV Canada isn’t going to agree until they know they’ll get paid back by MV Italy. Hence why I paid for my new battery that I feel should have been covered.

I know very well how the industry works. My wife has been in the motorcycle/automotive trade for over 35 years. At present she’s a service advisor at a Ford dealership. Oh the stories I could tell you… and just from this past week!

Update:
Canadian shops (US too I believe) now deal directly with MV Italy for most things like parts and warranty.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts