MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a big ride yesterday and started pushing the MV through the hills for the first time and I was not happy.

When going hard around corners the back end was not handling right and this was causing the front wheel to slide...so I'm getting this slide grip slide grip happening as I'm going around the corner...not very comforting.

I will reset the suspension and take it from there but I remember reading once about someone else having this issue and was curious if anyone else has come across this?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Wow, no...My handling has never been anything less than remarkable, in fact I just finished a ride today that allowed my to finish off my 'chicken-strips' something I haven't been able to do off the track before, as I never push beyond 70% or so on the street, but the Brut is so solid and stable you can really push it over, and the feedback :grin: ...well, now I'm just rambling.
I hope you get yours sorted out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I d check the suspension settings as per the service manual. Or take it to your dealer and have them adjust it with you on the bike.

My first hard ride on the MV wasnt that great but after you get it sorted its awesome.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Mine was pretty close to factory considering I'm 155lbs..I only needed 1-5 clicks (being really anal) to get mine dialed, so there wasn't MUCH difference, but it was there. I finished off my strips on the exhaust side, I'm rolled to the edge...not many lefts round here to finish off the other side. But I'm getting there!

Definitly adjust it per the manual with a friend so you can sit on it, or bring it to a dealer and have them do it......it's a world of difference. You have to be the 1st person EVER to say you're not pleased with the handling of your MV :laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I found this bike to be very unhappy with more than 36psi in the rear tire, get both around 33 like the manual says.

LE Suspension did find one Sach's shock valving incorrectly assembled.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Yeah, sorry, my earlier post wasn't at all helpful.
My bike was set up at the dealer originally, and then again after break-in.
I was just excited about my ride :smoking:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
oicdn said:
I finished off my strips on the exhaust side, I'm rolled to the edge...not many lefts round here to finish off the other side. But I'm getting there!QUOTE]

I assume you're referring to the front tire :stickpoke
MV's handle so well in general, everyone should scrub in the rear in a few hours :naughty:

·
Registered
474 Posts
From "The Racing Motorcycle - A technical guide for constructors" by John Bradley [ISBN 0 9512929 2 7]

Front Suspension Problems - Possible Cures
Laden sag too great - increase preload
Laden sag too small - reduce preload
Forks dive too fast - more compression damping
Forks dive too far (bottom) - stiffer springs, less air gap, possibly more preload
Forks judder when braking in straight line - less compression damping
Front wheel skips on bumps - soften springs, reduce compression damping, larger air gap
Always losing front end on corner entry - soften springs, check weight distribution
Front end shakes, not chatters, in corners - more rebound damping
Front end chatters out of corners - soften rebound springs or main springs, reduce compression damping
Front end shoots up too fast after braking - more rebound damping
Forks compress too much on smooth turns - stiffen springs, increase preload
Forks pump down on fast bumpy turns - reduce rebound damping
Excessive pogo action through chicanes - small increase in rebound damping
Bike difficult to turn in - soften springs, less preload or compression damping, alter steering

Rear suspension problems - Possible cures
Laden sag too great - increase preload
Laden sag too small - reduce preload
Rear end chatters leaving slow corners - increase rebound damping
Rear squats on acceleration - stiffer spring, more anti-squat, increase compression damping slightly
Bike wallows - increase rebound damping
Rear jacks up too fast on braking - increase rebound damping
Rear end pumps down on bumpy corners - reduce rebound damping
Very harsh ride on ripples - reduce compression damping
Bike kicks off ripples, bounces on bumps - increase rebound damping

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rocket...I know its damn obvious, but before doing the suspension set up/changes nightmare thing....check the tyre pressures are set for your style of riding :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steptoe, big thanks for digging that up and posting it.

agusta01 said:
rocket...I know its damn obvious, but before doing the suspension set up/changes nightmare thing....check the tyre pressures are set for your style of riding
To be honest I hadn't checked the tyre pressue since picking the bike up but the bike shop said the tyre pressure was at 33psi, I'll check it shortly as I'm about to go for a nice slow casual ride due to the whole easter police blitz double demirt points thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, check tyre pressure.... don't assume someone else actually got the correct pressure!!!!!

Depending on your weight, 33 psi may be a tad low for the road ... my manual says 35 psi.

Doc :cussing:

·
Registered
878 Posts
For tire pressure, you should really be consulting the rep for that tire...each tire brand and/or model runs a different pressure even if they are nade by the same manufacturer.

Our local Michelin rep, who's involved with all the local races and sponsors race teams, as well as tests tires when they come out, for instance recommends 35 rear, 36 front for Piolt Powers... (...yes, higher in the front.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
0700 said:
36/35 on street? what for track, same? Seems like 30/28 is what the mags test at.
I have asked him that same question. He said with the new Pilot Powers, they run the same, track and street, same pressure. He said they even use the Pilot Powers as the rain tires for their Novice racers!!! Their test showed that they can lean 43 dgrees with them in the rain!!!! Also, since they don't have the release compound, they can let it rip after a couple of warm up laps on the track right out of the box, new...

·
Registered
474 Posts
All this talk of pressures... get yourself a good gauge and use only it. Calibration seem to vary with tyre pressure gauges. :eek:nthecan:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts