MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realized earlier today that I'd like to have wider bars(2-3"?) I do not want to lean any further forward, nor do I necessarily want any taller bar. My left hand rides out on the grip's end, and when I conform to the hand spacing the grips favor, well, I'm giving up more control than I'm comfortable with. Handlebar suggestions / pro's and con's / appreciated.

Alf

P.S. Possible to go wider, without adding longer cables, etc?

·
Registered
188 Posts
One "trick" I have used with great success is to turn up a set of "extensions" to temporarily extend the length of the bars.

Say you want an extra 3 inches overall. Turn up two metal plugs, with two diameters. An inch or two In length, that is a snug fit on the inside diameter and 1.50 inches in length with an outside diameter equal to the existing handlebar.

With the extensions in place you can now slide your grips and controls outward and experiment with existing cable length, brake/clutch hose length, and clearance while turning the steering.

If you find that an extra inch per side is what you are after, then make up a permanent set of extensions that can either become a drive fit inside your existing bars or use Loctite #270 or #620 to secure the extensions.

Obviously, you will need to pull the steel roll pins out of the existing bars to allow the existing switches and levers to move, and you will need to bore the ends of your extensions to accommodate your bar end weights.

Find a friend with a lathe and keep your existing bars.

Best wishes,
Dick

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had some Renthal dirtbike bars on my speedtriple just before I sold it. They (and other makers) make a lot of different widths/rises/sweeps. You should be able to find one that will make you happy, I am not sure about the cable lengths though. It will probably be tight on the hydraulic lines if nothing else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One "trick" I have used with great success is to turn up a set of "extensions" to temporarily extend the length of the bars.

Say you want an extra 3 inches overall. Turn up two metal plugs, with two diameters. An inch or two In length, that is a snug fit on the inside diameter and 1.50 inches in length with an outside diameter equal to the existing handlebar.

With the extensions in place you can now slide your grips and controls outward and experiment with existing cable length, brake/clutch hose length, and clearance while turning the steering.

If you find that an extra inch per side is what you are after, then make up a permanent set of extensions that can either become a drive fit inside your existing bars or use Loctite #270 or #620 to secure the extensions.

Obviously, you will need to pull the steel roll pins out of the existing bars to allow the existing switches and levers to move, and you will need to bore the ends of your extensions to accommodate your bar end weights.

Find a friend with a lathe and keep your existing bars.

Best wishes,
Dick
Very interesting twist here, with an approach that I never knew existed. Thank you for sharing your ingenuity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts