MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling with the handlebar vibration issue. I ride MX (a 125 at that) so I'm no stranger to vibration. Thus, the excessive vibration at the throttle of my Brutale has had me concerned. No way I should be going numb after just 20 miles, not when I'm in excellent riding condition and have a lifetime of experience. I've ridden a lot of bikes and this just won't stand...so I've been particularly hot to solve this problem.

I tried new bar-ends. Didn't help, but didn't hurt either.

I tried the throttle spring removal trick. Didn't help. Made the throttle as light as an 85cc mx bike, but didn't help the vibes at all. In fact, I put the spring back because I prefer the firm, positive feel of the dual spring; it gives me better feedback.

I tried making sure I ride without tight sleeves. I tried cutting down on typing, Nintendo, and other aggravating activities. This helps somewhat, but does not solve the problem. It's something I should be doing anyway, so I continue.

Recently I tried the lead in the handlebars trick. Finally, this seems to have delivered real results. For awhile I didn't try this because I didn't know where to get lead shot around here. Eventually I found lead shot for cheap by walking into a dive shop. (I guess this only helps if you live near the ocean.) They sell it for $3.00 a pound, pre-weighed in nylon mesh bags for diving ballast. A two-pound bag should be sufficient. I bought three pounds and had plenty left over.

I removed a bar-end and poured the bb's in from a graduated cylinder. A Ratio-rite would also work. I rode around, they settled, and I packed in more.

Now the vibration is still present, but the throttle side vibration appears to be equal to the detectable, but not debilitating, vibration on the left side. I can feel what the bike's doing without going numb.

Because this only costs a few dollars and is fully reversible, I encourage all of you to try this before spending $60 a pop on bar ends, bar-snakes, or other pricey solutions.

I have a feeling steel bars, rubber mounted bar clamps, or a ball-bearing Scotts-type "twister" throttle tube would be worthy products for the industrious to try to create, but until then...lead BB's are my best recommendation.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thanks manalagi101, I've been feeling the vibes recently as well. They've always been there but they really bothered me these last few rides. That tingling 'itch'. Same with the vibes from the foot pegs. Not nice. I don't know if I'll do anything about it, but I appreciate your thorough post. Ride safe and vibe free.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Never tried this but heard of some chopper dudes putting spray foam in the bar? Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem with a Yamaha FZ1. I got the lead shot from a gun store. it worked great.
I traded the Yamaha for the Brutale, You ever buys the FZ1 is going to get a very unpleasent surprise if they remove the bar end weights. (I did warn the dealer).

·
Registered
685 Posts
feel the gripes with silicone. an old trick on gixxers.

manalagi001 said:
I've been struggling with the handlebar vibration issue. I ride MX (a 125 at that) so I'm no stranger to vibration. Thus, the excessive vibration at the throttle of my Brutale has had me concerned. No way I should be going numb after just 20 miles, not when I'm in excellent riding condition and have a lifetime of experience. I've ridden....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a new 750 Brutale & my hands do seem to get tired after riding after a while.

Do you think these the Heavier & thicker bar ends will accomodate the "Rizoma Reverse bar End Mirrors?" Does anyone know the diameter of the heavier bar ends?

I just purchased these mirrors cause the stock mirrors are pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

·
Registered
266 Posts
In addition to weighted solid bar ends...why not fill the entire crossbar with silicone. It really doesn't add that much weight, and it will greatly nullify the vibration that's normally transmitted to the hands. Just an idea:) .

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use a Throttle Rocker. I have found that when my hands go to sleep that I have been gripping the bars too tight. The throttle rocker allows me to just lay my throttle hand on top of the bar and let the heel of my hand control throttle inputs. Works great for braking and controlling the throttle at the same time too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vlad Drac, I have the motovation bar ends. Look nice, don't hurt, but they don't help the vibration. Don't buy them thinking your problems will be over.

For that matter, the lead bb's don't eliminate vibration completely. They just reduce them noticably to the point that the right now vibrates at the same level as the left; that is, at an acceptable level for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts