MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to report that I've made a hand made aluminium structure for mounting a top case on it. I'll test it in a very few days and I'll keep you informed. Is not nice at all but it's practical, I hope.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here it is:

I'll post more pics when all will be mounted.

Is not nice at all, impossible to create a piece such nice as it is the OEM component, but is practical, hopefuly it will allow a big Top Case on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not Bad at all!!! If you don't mind some inputs, I would have bent the side parts inside and up to make it slimmer and not have the step.

But once the top case is installed and with the side cases too it should be pretty much invisible. Any plans to paint it the same color of the back frame?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do not do anything else on this item because I'll only use it from time to time, let's say 2 or 3 times a year maximum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently picked up a second passenger grab bar and plan on drilling into that and adding a piece to mount a top case with. Hopefully it will work out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had thought of this, so please keep us updated. The Multistrada uses a similar approach with what is a threaded female captive nut/rivet of sorts.

e614b6bb9d9b2daeaa106f725b12dfb6.jpg

It would be perfect if someone could come up with a way to work this out, (or if MV offered this as standard and then we could get Altrider to make a rack for the TV!)

installed-altrider-luggage-rack-for-ducati-multistrada-1200-2010-2014-black (1).jpg

Then you could use any top box, soft luggage you wanted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just arrived from holidays. The hand made top case has been phenomenal. Is not nice at all but it's practical for its capacity and for the comfort of the passanger. I'm happy with the results. I can post a picture if someone is interested to see how it looks the TV with a top case mounted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just arrived from holidays. The hand made top case has been phenomenal. Is not nice at all but it's practical for its capacity and for the comfort of the passanger. I'm happy with the results. I can post a picture if someone is interested to see how it looks the TV with a top case mounted.
Yes please ☺

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice work Darkus :yo:

As a solo rider I've managed with just side cases and a small tank-bag for touring. Top-cases are, IMHO, not that attractive visually anyway but more importantly put weight where you don't want it, affecting stability. Can understand for two up riding over a number of days that one could be essential though.

Do you suffer any handling issues with the case loaded, assume that you put heavier items in the side cases?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No issues Bumpkin. I've just toughened the rear preload +10 clicks and that's it. No inconveniences in hadling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any issues with strength?

Hi guys, I have bought a spare grab rail and an sw motech adaptor plate for givi. Planning to try to create my own top box arrangement. Concerned though over additional loading on the grab rail and the 4 fixing bolts attaching it to the frame. In my mind although the grab rail will have been designed to take the load of the passenger leaning on it, I suspect the load of them leaning on the top box will increase this load? Am I over thinking it? Have you had any issues?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like your handy work. I know a pillion would enjoy the backrest on a long ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was thinking of buying a spare grab rail and then finding an engineering/fabrication shop and see what they could do and how drilling holes will affect the structural integrity. I only want a small top box for the wife to lean against. Buy a Givi box and get it sprayed in MV colours

Would be ideal to have a spare grab rail and see what its limits will be. Mmm something MV should have been doing really.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi guys, I have bought a spare grab rail and an sw motech adaptor plate for givi. Planning to try to create my own top box arrangement. Concerned though over additional loading on the grab rail and the 4 fixing bolts attaching it to the frame. In my mind although the grab rail will have been designed to take the load of the passenger leaning on it, I suspect the load of them leaning on the top box will increase this load? Am I over thinking it? Have you had any issues?
My girlfriend feels much more secure with the top box. We try not to overload it, but we did travel with 5kg of gear in the box and her leaning to it and she was still on the bike once I arrived to a destination. I guess that proves the grab handles are strong enough even for top box application.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts