MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that the Harley Sportster is the Marque of the year at this years Mid Ohio Vintage Motorcycle days.

I hope this doesn't mean a mini Sturgis with loud Harleys and burnout competitions after the beer chugging party!

I was looking forward to this event.......

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, it is a vintage bike... I was just in the UK and I saw a few vintage Harleys around... I guess some people actually consider them respectable. I sorta like the idea of a sportster, even though in reality they are pretty hateful POS bikes.

Seems like it would be more appropriate to be an Indian or Triumph Bonneville or something like that though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its the 50th anniversay of the sportster, and not to worry, most of the drunken fools think its a girls bike and dont appreciate its lineage and historical prowess.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
True enough. I've ridden a few pigs (hogs?) and the sportster is the only one even remotely like something I would want to ride. The irony of that is that, like you say, everyone would think I'm on a girl's bike.

It's the only one still going with the same name and purpose though, I think.

·
Registered
822 Posts
acruhl said:
It's the only one still going with the same name and purpose though, I think.

Yes and no, the lineage of FL models and FX models are still there, but most of the newer clientel dont know anything about it. Its funny, when the sportster was introduced, it rivaled the english and italian bikes of the day in performance, technology, and style. In its day, it was a world class sport bike. Its really an under rated motorcycle, the new engine is a very good evolution of what is really a dinosaur, and its the only 4 cam, pushrod engine in production today, possibly the only one ever. Admittingly , I have a soft spot for HD because of my family's dealerships, we have been in the game for over 40 years, seen alot of things change, good and bad. It just makes me happy to see the newest sportster pumping out 100hp and 100lbs of TQ out of an air cooled, 45 degree v-twin, they deserve recognition for keeping it alive.

If you have never spent much time in the saddle of a HD, its easy to disregard them based on the majority of rolex riders and drunken hot rodders who have recently breathd so much popularity towards them. Think of the wholesale condemnation practiced towards young kids riding jap bikes....I was that young fool once too. Riding a Harley is an experice all to itself, much like the MV, there is just something undefinably unique about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have to say that is well put regarding HD.

A local guy that restores English bikes sums it up:
"It's not that I don't like Harley's, I just don't like most of the people who ride them these days."

The sportster does have a significant history in motorcycling and although it will not be like the last couple of years with Ducati and MV, interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Some Guy said:
,... its easy to disregard them based on the majority of rolex riders and drunken hot rodders ...

Hey! I resemble that remark! :koolaid:

Not really; it's the Rolex and Hot Rod reference that got me. Well, maybe I've been known to hoist a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts