MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to getting my dragster priced and I am putting a deposit down later this week :)

I asked the dealer about exhaust options, and before I get criticized, I'm not trying to be a "shithead" but I am a firm believer of being loud on a bike. If you cant be seen at least you'll be heard.

Without knowing what the bike sounds like stock (they wont let me test one on my current licence), the first thing he recommended was "gutting the exhaust" which I understand as removing the butterfly valve and the cat. He claimed that it would get me some added volume (without being obnoxiously loud) without needing a tune, which is recommended with a replacement exhaust. Its also 1/10th of the price.

What are your thoughts on this as I am not wanting to compromise reliability the bike in any way. Would it affect the back pressure, and if so is that a problem for a 4-stroke?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it sounds like an absolutely horrible idea. Being loud on a bike is obnoxious and simply makes auto drivers hate us even more.

As far as gutting the exhaust goes....my guess is that the bike is tuned with a specific exhaust flow and gutting the exhaust will change that. The dealer may say that a re-map is not needed, but I'm not sure I would trust that. If you change the airflow you probably need a re-map.

Why not just ride the bike?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A couple of things, firstly I would leave the cat alone, if you want to make it a bit louder that could be done by removing the contents of the silencer but obviously this is a bit trial and error, it could end up too loud and sound harsh rather than just a nice deep tone?

Also once done there is no going back, here in the UK the bike will have to pass a road worthy test after it's 3 years old and it would fail this so you would have to buy another exhaust or if you sell the bike it would affect the resale value as the new buyer will have to buy another exhaust?

I would ride it as it is before you choose to make any "no going back" changes?

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
I'm not trying to be a "shithead" but I am a firm believer of being loud on a bike. If you cant be seen at least you'll be heard.
Being ignorant of physics and acoustics does not qualify you as a shithead.

As for what it does to the bike, well, it will make it run lean and be hotter than it is stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts