MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the local sunday paper ,(so it must be true). "Dark beers such as porters and Guinness are not only lower in calories "(who cares)
"they contain polyphenol compounds and heart protective antioxidants".

I`m off t`pub to work on my wellbeing. Also explains why my bike seems to handle and run better after I`ve had a pint, it`s simply that I am healthier.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here in UK, the Royal Marsden Hospital (Cancer hospital) used to give a glass of Guinness with their meal to their patients.
So I have been told. It must be true.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A cooler climate definitely helps with the Guinness consumption. Bike trip to Tassie Dons.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in UK, the Royal Marsden Hospital (Cancer hospital) used to give a glass of Guinness with their meal to their patients.
So I have been told. It must be true.

Next time I`m crook I`m heading to that hospital

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
In the UK in the 40's and 50's a bottle of stout a day was part of the recovery process, even prescribed to woman on the maternity wards. Sadly standards have somewhat declined since those days and your lucky to get a bed nowadays.

jimboF4

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My father suffered a major heart attack during Easter Sunday morning services, 1963. The ER doctors said he'd not live past noon. Well he fooled them and lived another 17 years. :)
He gave up "drinking" when he married my mother in 1939. However, he needed to build up his blood and get some meat on his bones so his doctor prescribed a pint of Stout with each evening meal. My father stated that he understood how it worked. The Stout was so bitter that he'd eat anything to get the taste out of his mouth.
He probably would have continued had it not been for a change in medications in the late sixties which required he not consume any alcohol.
Now my doctor doesn't believe one way or the other. However, he has me drinking a small glass of red wine with each evening meal. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
LOVE Guinness! It's my beverage of choice. Typical night out in the UK had me at around 9 pints of the black stuff.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9 pints:jsm: Pharrk, I can`t put that much away ,well maybe if I really tried but at 9.50 to 10 bucks a pint here I couldn`t afford to either. Of course you would be exceptionally healthy after that many given the magic recuperative powers.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Yup, 9 pints was typical. When I got home from my second vacation in Afghanistan, I drank something like 18 bottles is the stuff. Woke up the next morning to find all the bottles arranged in a triangle on my counter with all the caps placed back on the tops. Wtf do I do when I'm drunk?

And yeah, this is in my kitchen.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both my stepchildren chose the same vacation destination as yourself, neither raved about the quality of the accommodations, both found the locals to be decidedly unfriendly at times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts