MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I must be bored or something. :rant: I had a look at the pictures of the new Yamaha R1 in MCN. :jsm: Every year all the Japanese bikes get a little bit lighter and a little bit more powerful than the previous year's model. Maybe to keep pace with what the opposition is doing. But I believe in this marketing dog eat dog world that we live in, they could do far more, but they just don't want too. :stopp: A little like the computer components that actually cost more for the technically inferior versions, the marketing guys don't want to let all the cats out of the bag if they don't need to. :hand: Perhaps I'm too naive, but if they (any of the big 4 Jap manufacturers) rolled out a 230 HP 150Kg fire breathing go getter, they would have the litre road bike market to themselves for a while, but I suppose the other 3 would rapidly respond with their own offerings, which would go to show that they all could do it, they just don't want to .......yet. :nutkick: Yes I know, cynical is my midde name, but is it just me or do all the Jap bikes look and perform the same these days? :blah:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tried a 2006 R1, last weekend! Damm it felt light, but the hole package feeling was so off for me. It was like a plastic chopper!

Johnnie

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
They all are great bikes. The R1 feels the most like a 600, even though they all claim to...

But I'm with you. When will it end? It won't. That's why I think I'd go for the Suzuki 750. The previous gen one wasn't scary fast and was a beautiful handling bike.

If Kawasaki make a ZX-7R again, that looked similar to the previous gen one but was competitive, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Other than that, the Japanese stuff can wait.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
But how do you build a 230 hp 150 kg firebreather economically without so many expensive parts that it becomes far too expensive (like the Desmo RR) or too fragile for 99% of motorcycle purchasers, in which case you're out of the game and the other manufacturers have it all?

Technology is iterative. It takes time and yearly revisions to progress. Launching a mass-market 230 bhp 150 kg bike today would be like launching a 2007 R1 back in say 1998. It couldn't be done. Some of technology didn't exist, and much of it would have been prohibitively expensive at the time. I'm sure with research it may have been possible, but that would have made a 2007 R1 back in 1998 a $50,000 proposition.

Si

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon, you miss my point, it's probably me that didn't put it across correctly, it's not about 210 HP or 220 or 230, I meant to say that whatever the big four put out for 2007, they could all raise the bar a deal further, I am sure of that, they choose not to. I'll wager that in one years time when we look at the 2008 R1 or whatever, it's lighter and more powerful than the 2007 version. I take your point that much of the technology is iterative, but a '75 TZ750 was pushing out 140+ Hp over 30 years ago, it could have been developed to achieve more but the tyre technology for one thing wasn't developed enough at that time ( a point, I admit you mentioned) and yes I know, the TZ was a race bike, I was fortunate enough to ride one in '77 I think it was and they were bloody quick at that time. Adding a few HP or loosing a couple of Kgs is to the bike world what ellipsoidal headlamps and a raft of airbags are to the car world, it's a marketing tool to get us to trade up to the latest model. If Tamburini had never come up with the 916 Duke in the early 90's and you saw one for the first time today it would be a revelation, forget how many HP it produced or Kgs it weighed.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ok, I see your point.
I suspect you're right. Upgrading must be part of their business model.
A friend of mine is a semi-pro photographer. He's got a buddy that works for Canon, and four years ago this guy had a prototype 40(!) megapixel camera. It worked, and was ready to roll as a product. (Apart from memory card size and economy had to catch up..) So why can't you buy one yet? Because they've got ten years of money to be made on 10,15,20,25,30 and 35 megapixel cameras! I suspect similar strategies apply in the auto industry.

Si

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MV-999R said:
John, i think you need to buy a jap liter bike and calm yourself down :D
If Honda stretch the VFR to 1000cc and give it an extra 20 Hp, I might just think about it Tiago. :) It still wouldn't be taking pride of place in the garage over the MV though. :hand:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts