MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:) Greetings everyone from Hawaii...I'm about 2 weeks away from picking up a 04' SPR...and had a few questions for the forum.

The bike only has 414 miles, I haven't inspected the bike for problems yet, the price is set at $18k, but was assured stock, no damage.

I'm interested to know from the forum, if the SPR had any problems on recall, or any common complaints?

Is $18k a good price?

As a limited edition SPR, what came with the bike?

How does the SPR as a limited edition compare to AGO, SENNA, or F4 corse kits in value, collectablity, desirability?

Is the SPR a better bike then a standard F4 1000? (In performance parts, not cc.)

For $5k more would I be happier with a standard F4 1000?

For $8k more would I be happier with a 1000 mile F4 AGO or SENNA?

I appreciate your feed back, just wanted to do my due diligence to avoid buyers regrets later. :nerd:

·
Registered
72 Posts
JMSPR said:
:) Greetings everyone from Hawaii...I'm about 2 weeks away from picking up a 04' SPR...and had a few questions for the forum.

The bike only has 414 miles, I haven't inspected the bike for problems yet, the price is set at $18k, but was assured stock, no damage.

I'm interested to know from the forum, if the SPR had any problems on recall or any common complaints?

As a limited edition SPR, what came with the bike?

How does the SPR as a limited edition compare to AGO, SENNA, or F4 corse kits in value or collectablity?

Is the SPR a better bike then a standard F4 1000? (In performance parts, not cc.)

For $5k more would I be happier with a standard F4 1000?

For $8k more would I be happier with a 1000 mile F4 AGO?

I appreciate your feed back, just wanted to do my due diligence to avoid buyers regrets later. :nerd:
Check out my thread on my SPR.. http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=224

What number SPR are you looking to buy. I contemplated the same the same thing, the SPR vs a new F4 1000S or Ago, and in the end I couldn't pass up the deal on the SPR. The SPR is like a true R model Ducati, with the close ration gear box and some other bits. The Ago is going to cost a cool 10k more OTD than the SPR, and you'd have to be riding the SPR at over 90% of its potential for the Ago or 1000 to flex its muscle. Another thing about the SPR is that it looks like no other MV Agusta out there, the Ago looks like most red/silver MVs to the untrained eye, while it is limited by number it is no different that the regular 1000 other than the wheels (aluminum not magnesium) and the RG3. Bascially if you dropped 18k on the SPR and did a few mods like wheels and exhaust like mine you'd have a very limited/limited production bike. Insurance is cheaper on a 750 as well, and with the full magnesium kit on the bike it's hella lighter than the 1000s.

Check out this blog I found, it answered a lot of my questions.
http://www.mvfaq.blogspot.com/

Edit.. SPR should come with everything on the bottom of the page...
http://mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/F4-750SPR.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had to chose between the F4 750 SPR and the F4 1000 that were about the same price...
And this is what I conclued:
-The 1000 is a more powerful bike... more torque too... but isn't 166hp a bit too much?.. should be easier to use because of the increased torque if you're not pushing it to the limits.
-The 1000 should be easier to sell back.
-The SPR is a better looking bike (carbon pieces, insted of plastic ones), exept for the color (I don't like it, and should get it painted this winter).
-The SPR is harder to handle, (less torque) but funnier (for the same reason).
-The SPR has an even more noble engine: polished intake ports...
Maybe numbers (top speed, acceleration...) are better on a 1000, but belive me it's hard to be wide open on each corner with an SPR... It's going really fast!!!
If I had to chose again, I'll make the same one... The SPR (and It's really pleasant to think that you're one of the choosen 300...) only the Tamburini or the future Senna 1000 would have be an alternative for me, but it's not the same price... about twice the price of my bike. And what could I do with this amount of money on my bike... I don't even want to imagine...
For the other part of your question, the SPR comes with:
- 37 and 39 sprocket (38 on the bike, I'm using 39 to have a better acceleration, top speed is still over 279km/h on the speedometer...)
- Bike cover (red and grey)
- Bike stand (really useful to put grease on the chain or to park it in your living room... ;-) )
- Grip covers (Haven't used those yet... quite ugly in fact, but...)
Any way It will be one of the best bikes on the planet...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Although it pains to say it, but really the SPR only just (and only just) cuts mustard in comparison to the GSX R750, that on most, if not all tests reported in mainstream media. The 749 will be just as good and thats not a major endorsment is it? Whereas the F4 1000 is very comparable if not totally superior to allcomers in the 1000cc class in all perormance criteria, not just suspension and handling.

Yes, you get exclusive rights with the SPR, however that dose not win races, nor any traffic light braging status. Something the F4 1000 delivers in spades!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
jpd748

interesting discussion. I also just made the MV choice. I looked at spr VS ago VS f41000, but decided a better choice would be base model 750 (evo 3 ) vs spr. dont get fooled into the limited edition crap. You can buy secondhand ago's and oro's already. here in australia there are still SPR's on the showroom floor. So what did I get- a very good 2nd hand evo3 for $A19500 with rg3 pipes and chip. previous owner paid $A34000. ( I still want the SPR though. I'll wait till the dealer can't stand it anymore)

·
Registered
293 Posts
The 749 as good as the SPR?? you must be kidding... I used to ride Ducatis ('89 750 Sport (60.000km), '94 888 Strada (20.000km), '00 748S (35.000km), '03 S4R (11.000km)) and 999 and 749 are really crap to me.
The 750 GSXR is a very good bike, but has nothing comparable to the SPR exept acceleration and top speed (so the 1000GSXR compared to the F4 1000...).
1000cc are really powerful, too much for me (and for 98% of the riders...), I've met a lot of people asking me why did I bought a 748 instead of a 996? none of them where able to follow me with there big bikes. Not because I'm the best rider (unfortunately, I'm not Rossi or Foggy...) just because I have a bit less power, so I can open wide earlier... Maybe a bit to early sometimes when the D208RR slides...
For me with a 750 you have plenty of fun, with a 1000 you get the satisfaction to have the power of such a big bike.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My point was that after reading the JMSPR post again, he askes that for the extra $5 would he be happier with the F41000, and the answer based on the questions he has asked has to be yes.
I ride heaps of twisty canyon roads and I agree in principal with your point, my mates new 636 with claimed 120HP stock is always in my mirrors but between every connecting two corners is a straight bit, sometimes short, sometimes long, and the F4 carves the apex (as will the spr) but then the F4 picks up with torque and power that corrupts.

And I certainly agree the GSX R100 is faster, but only if the road/track permits, on any public road, they are so similar in application, the F4 delivers its power in a more linear way, making it (in my view) quicker....
AND forget about any contest on a road that has any form of a curve...

Seriously though, no Ducati comes close to an MV.....SPR included!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently took a used SPR out for a test spin. I get to take bikes out as long as I like and did the usual test circuit of Twin Peaks (twisty and dirty), through town (San Francisco), and a fast freeway (Hwy 280). Some time back I took a Ducati 749, as well as the 999, on the same circuit. I didn't like the 999 at all. It has too much power. I can't control the back wheel, maybe I'm just too much of a hack rider. The 749 was great. It has a wonderful balance of power, weight, weight distrubution, and handling. I took the Aprilia Mille on the same circuit, and had the same problems as the Duc 999. The SPR is, IMHO, the sexiest bike on the planet! It doesn't handle as transparently as the 749, but it is almost as good. The SPR has it all over the Duc in comfort, and engine. My 750 Brutale is the best overall bike for my purposes though. The 910 has more power, of course, but it feels just like any other macho inline 4 to me, compared to the nutty delivery of the 750. If I want more power, I just give it more gas. I always run out of road before I run out of power.
FWIW, the best handling bike for a twisty road that I ever had, or even tested, was the MZ Skorpion Sport Cup. (Sounds like the name of a jock strap). It was a little light in a crosswind. In stock trim it was major wheezy, but after a pipe and a jet kit was fast enough for a little thumper. It had traction like nothing else, if you were careful with tire choice.
I am told that the new 1000 handles better than the SPR, but I haven't tried it out yet. I would really like the forks from the SPR on my Brute!
Choices??? I say go with the 750. You can lean on the engine, which is what a MOTORcyle is all about.

·
Registered
293 Posts
jpd748 said:
interesting discussion. I also just made the MV choice. I looked at spr VS ago VS f41000, but decided a better choice would be base model 750 (evo 3 ) vs spr. dont get fooled into the limited edition crap. You can buy secondhand ago's and oro's already. here in australia there are still SPR's on the showroom floor. So what did I get- a very good 2nd hand evo3 for $A19500 with rg3 pipes and chip. previous owner paid $A34000. ( I still want the SPR though. I'll wait till the dealer can't stand it anymore)
Yeah, mine was one of the last SPR in France and I had it for 20500€ instead of 24800€... (the 1000 is 21000€). So waiting (not too long...) maybe a good thing sometimes...

·
Registered
72 Posts
machine748s said:
Yeah, mine was one of the last SPR in France and I had it for 20500€ instead of 24800€... (the 1000 is 21000€). So waiting (not too long...) maybe a good thing sometimes...
Being that neither bike could possibly be ridden to their potential and that at the track a properly lightened SPR would be very potent, I'd much rather have my limited SPR than a base 1000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts