MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all... Hello from Indonesia... This will be my first post here... Been lurking this site for quite a while and now about to save for my next bike and needing advices.

I've been wanting an MV since the day I touched my first 'proper' bike back in 1999 with an R6, but got diverted to Harley till now. I am planning to save up this year to buy myself a second bike for my birthday next year...What a long plan..:conveyer:

Where I live, there is no such thing as enjoyable short ride, I am surrounded by some of the worst traffic in the world and have to ride out of town for 1-2 hours before I see open road. So my priorities are comfort, not prone to overheating, overall less headache to maintain, good online parts support and handle well through traffic. Power is not a priority since my ride group is a mix of Harley, goldwing and smaller engine duc.

I know I am not supposed to get a naked bike for my situation, but I've been wanting naked bike since forever and my situation is only suited for scooter anyway...

-Streetfighter 848 cost US$33.000 after all tax, bank finance possible so I can buy it sooner, authorized dealer support, but I prefer to do my own work anyway as lots of 'authorized' mechanic here does not even know torque wrench...

-Brutale 990R cost US$40.000, and they have 150th Italy anniversary edition left on showroom floor which I doubt will sell anytime soon, no financing possible due to no authorized dealer backup so at least a year of saving before I can buy one. Concern about parts availability because no dealer here, but I can import parts and I can do my own wrenching.

Please help me choose and please explain why...as unbiased as possible...If possible :brutale:

Thanks a million guys :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surprise...surprise... Nobody ever tried both? Or it is a blasphemy to even talk about duc here? :stickpoke

·
Registered
449 Posts
Surprise...surprise... Nobody ever tried both? Or it is a blasphemy to even talk about duc here? :stickpoke
.......If we want to talk about spray painting, a 2 cylinder air compressor is the first thing that you need :stickpoke:stickpoke............

......but I just realised that this is a MOTORCYCLE forum, some people must be getting confused, go to spray painting.com :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have the 150th Anniversary edition 990R. I was looking (although never test rode) at the big streetfighter before the 848 was released. I found the build quality of the MV to be much higher and had an overall better finish.
Every man and his dog has a Ducati (no offense to others)

I love the MV, fitted MV corse exhaust, very happy.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Brutale 990R vs ?

Brutale 990R vs are you kidding:stickpoke

uwiik;
no question the Brutale!
most fun bike i've ever had in 1,250,000 mi, hands down
turn the key and hit the starter and i'm off

maintenance on the Ducati is HUGE in comparison
my BMW R1150GS is a maintenance whore in comparison, valve adjust and retorque the heads every 6,000mi, wiring harness is falling apart, ate a clutch slave, seat upholstery cracked at 15,000mi, the rear main seal has been leaking for 30,000mi......and it eats batteries too

bought an '08 910R, had 5,000 on it when i bought it,
it needed tires when i got it, put 7,000 mi on it

adjusted the chain when i put the Mitchy hub on it
spent zero for MV parts, OK, 3 wellnuts got replaced:stickpoke
didn't use a drop of oil
didn't need any coolant
tightened the pan bolts near the side stand

changed the fuel filter $4
changed the quick disconnect fittings and fuel lines ~$45

Forum and ebay parts;
after market air filter
MicroTec ECU
Motovation bar ends to fit the mirrors
M/C levers and foot levers
$802 total spent

traded labor for;
CRG mirrors

was given by Forum members;
head pipes and Cat-less mid pipe
Scott steering damper
Race ECU
LED indicator assy rear

parts are easy;
new, order them out of the States
or from Trooper Lu's Garage in OZ
used, Forum member CAG in the States
ebay, if people in the States won't ship internationally....PM me

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just reading your list of wants and needs it would seem the 848 is the rights bike for you but if your heart is set on an mv you should wait.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Listen to Noel. One question, why not look late model used? That is a lot of cheese to spend on either bike not knowing if it fits your riding style. If you buy used, and find out that this type of riding is not your preference, you've lost waaaaaay less in depreciation.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.......If we want to talk about spray painting, a 2 cylinder air compressor is the first thing that you need :stickpoke:stickpoke............

......but I just realised that this is a MOTORCYCLE forum, some people must be getting confused, go to spray painting.com :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:
Talking about Duc = BLASPHEMY!!! :thewife: I know and my humble apology....:jsm: LOL!!!

Ermmm Melbourne, nice city...Spent 6 years there, got my first R6 there too... Where do you live and where do you usually ride? I lived in Glen Iris area and ride regularly to PI.... I miss Melbourne real bad.. Awesome riding there....Where do they sell MV stuff there? Got my ticket to Melbourne for this coming August..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have the 150th Anniversary edition 990R. I was looking (although never test rode) at the big streetfighter before the 848 was released. I found the build quality of the MV to be much higher and had an overall better finish.
Every man and his dog has a Ducati (no offense to others)

I love the MV, fitted MV corse exhaust, very happy.
Hya Mate, thanks for the nice welcome :brutale:

I am actually 99.9% set on the MV, but I just need to hear the real world experience before I take the plunge....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

uwiik;
no question the Brutale!

my BMW R1150GS is a maintenance whore in comparison, valve adjust and retorque the heads every 6,000mi, wiring harness is falling apart, ate a clutch slave, seat upholstery cracked at 15,000mi, the rear main seal has been leaking for 30,000mi......and it eats batteries too

adjusted the chain when i put the Mitchy hub on it
spent zero for MV parts, OK, 3 wellnuts got replaced:stickpoke
didn't use a drop of oil
didn't need any coolant
tightened the pan bolts near the side stand

changed the fuel filter $4
changed the quick disconnect fittings and fuel lines ~$45

Forum and ebay parts;
after market air filter
MicroTec ECU
Motovation bar ends to fit the mirrors
M/C levers and foot levers
$802 total spent

traded labor for;
CRG mirrors

was given by Forum members;
head pipes and Cat-less mid pipe
Scott steering damper
Race ECU
LED indicator assy rear

parts are easy;

So I figure parts won't be a problem then.... Good to know that... By the way, talked to a mate today, He happen to hold a vehicle import licence and I was tempted to do a direct import, that should save me some money but no finance option... Do you know which country have the cheapest MV? It's gotta be brand new or ex showroom demo, anything looking brand new...

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just reading your list of wants and needs it would seem the 848 is the rights bike for you but if your heart is set on an mv you should wait.
Yes, I think I just cannot get past MV now or later, I think I will regret it later if I buy a Duc.... Been wanting an MV since day one.... I just need someone to confirm that MV will be fine on HOT heavy traffic, I don't mind spending more on impeller, water pump, radiator and fan upgrade. I also have unlimited free access to dyno and being from Harley background familiar with ECU tuning via Power commander or any other programmable ECU.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Listen to Noel. One question, why not look late model used? That is a lot of cheese to spend on either bike not knowing if it fits your riding style. If you buy used, and find out that this type of riding is not your preference, you've lost waaaaaay less in depreciation.
That is the problem and that is the whole reason I turned to this forum for suggestion..... I cannot legally import or register used motor vehicle, gotta be brand new or at least very slightly used with all the tyre knob still intact and the seller must be willing to reset the odo to 0..... With crazy import tax here, I cannot afford to make the wrong decision and I must be prepared to keep the bike for a really long time...I am not lucky like you guys with extremely cheap motor vehicle price and endless finance option with very low rate. It is a significant investment (luxury) and I have to buy once and buy right... Like I said, I basically need to choose the one that will withstand tropical heat and stuck traffic better (with mods if necessary), geometry I think is number two priority as I can always adjust with aftermarket parts and if absolutely necessary I have the machinery to make my own custom bar and pegs for finer fitment tune.

From today's research and some haggling I got these prices:

2011 brutale 990R anniversary off the showroom floor US$37.400 after all tax
2012 brutale 920 private direct import US$31.900 after all tax
2012 SF 848 official dealer showroom floor US$31.868 after all tax

Got the price for 920 from UK @ GBP 9.999 OTR which I think does not make sense that I have to pay UK road tax, warranty, etc since I am not going to use the bike in the UK and there will be no warranty honor anyway. Anyone have any reference to export friendly MV dealer with good price? Whatever I save on the buying price of the bike I will actually save double on the final cost of the bike, they calculate tax by all in cost including freight.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
What about moving?

:stickpoke. Juuuust kidding. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts

uwiik;
no question the Brutale!

parts are easy;
I also own a Duc Multi 1200 (as well as a KTM SMT)
Here in South Africa the Duc Multi is sold with a 60,000km maintenance plan included in the purchase price, and the service intervals are only every 20,000km, whereas the service intervals on the Brutale are every 6,000km.:stickpoke 3 services to 1

I must fessup, :drummer: I enjoy riding the Brutale far more than the Duc, and it also gets my adrenalin pumping even more than the KTM.
When I was looking to buy the Brutale, I also looked seriously at the two Duc Streetfighter models, but decided for the Brutale 920 (the "poverty" spec) purely on a price basis, as the Brutale has now become my main commuter and I do 94km per day on the Brutale.
The Brutale 920 is significantly cheaper than the big Streetfighter and the 848 Streetfighter is not yet available locally, so for me it was a no brainer, and already owning a Duc, I know exactly how p1$$ poor the local Duc service levels are
IMO, the quality and finish of the "poverty spec 920" is on a par, if not better that the two Streetfighters, and I wanted a change from V twins.

Its a no brainer - get the Brutale

·
Registered
38 Posts
A 2v air-cooled Ducati like a Hypermotard is probably a better choice than either the Brutale or SF for the requirements you described. The long suspension would be a benefit on city streets, too.

I can't imagine spending that kind of money without riding these bikes enough to form a solid opinion. The ergonomics and engine characteristics of the MVs and Ducatis are significantly different and hard to evaluate on paper.

·
Super Moderator
22,474 Posts
I'll tell you that my experience on a Atreet Fighter was quite literally a BALL BUSTER!!! That bike has as seat ergo that slides you right down onto the gas tank....ow ow ow!!!
The Brutale is an all day comfy ride..1090 RR is the garage now.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
now what is really in your heart,if it is the same as mine ,you will not be happy with the streetfighter,I rode a 910 mv agusta about 7 years ago only once and could not get it out of my head,after riding many other bikes I finally splurged out and got my b1078,every time I go out on it I have a smile from ear to ear,no other bike has given me that feeling,that is why you want this bike.now Ducati, yes I have tried the 848 and the streetfighter and the diavel and the monsters,dime a dozen in no way do they give you the feeling of an mv,but I must say I have spent some dollars on my 1078 ,seat=corbin,matris steering dampner,race ecu,pc5 dyno,bar end mirrors,nitron rear shock,carbon rear seat cover,etc.and you know what I have still not ridden a bike that comes close to it.Maybe the tuono vr4,but ugly as hell.
anyway that is my 2 cents worth,anyway your choice at the end of the day,good luck.
cheers eddy
ps:I am at peace now with my choice.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts