MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 F4 1000 has it everywhere. As soon as I saw it I knew it was Air filter oil. My dealer assured me that no MV has ever had a motocross style foam Oiled filter. Well my bike started running like total shit for no apparent reason whatsoever. Since its winter here in Ottawa now I pulled it all apart and there was an Over-oiled twin air FOAM filter. My throttle bodies are covered in thick green oily goop. Its all over the motor and has the consistency of glue. What a nightmare. Anyone ever had this happen before? Should I go BMC now?

·
Vendor
5,641 Posts
What brand is the one you have at the moment? You can just clean and lightly oil it.Over oiling does make hell of a mess and yes the oil gets very sticky.:jsm:

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
That's a standard filler, good luck with that dealer. Look in the manuals, once you've downloaded them, and you'll see the filter being used, and how to help minimise the excess oil from dripping down the sides of your bike.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good lord...this "dealer" said the standard filter is a paper cartridge type. I guess I had better learn how to work on this thing my self. I have ordered a BMC Air filter. Before spring I will have my Bodis slip-on with a cat-delete and the PCIII. I love having a Girlfriend who makes lots of $$$!

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
When did you purchase the 2005 F4? Who did the last maintenance on it?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it 2 months ago. It was brand new. Had 125km on it. Sent it to the MV dealer in Ottawa at 1100km. They did the first service except for the valve adjust. I'll do that at 6000km.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
So the Ottawa dealer did the deed?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts
Twin Air are actually very good filters, used by off road racers all over the world.
Oiled foam does a much better job of catching dust than any oiled gauze filter such as BMC, K&N or MWR.

Those filters do flow more air, but also more dust. So if you motocross your MV, stick with the Twin Air.....or if you just ride on dusty roads frequently!!.

Most Japanese sport bikes do come with paper filters (some of which are oiled paper). They also do a great job of stopping dust, but can't be cleaned.

The manufacturers are most interested in stopping all dust from entering the engine, hence none install the oiled gauze types as original equipment.
Put a BMC/MWR/K&N on your off road vehicle and you will wear out your top end pretty quickly. That is why they sell "Pre-Cleaner" socks for those filters when used off road....which kind of defeats the improved air flow thing.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes they did. I can all but guarantee the didn't do anything except change the oil and tighten the chain.(which was done at my request) and they overtightened it to boot!

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts
mwr is oiled foam. Got mine from Startwin.

Ahhh....I didn't know. Haven't had one in my hands and assumed similar to BMC.
Thanks for the correction.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Yes they did. I can all but guarantee the didn't do anything except change the oil and tighten the chain.(which was done at my request) and they overtightened it to boot!
I would have them pay for a professional cleaning of the bike.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Welcome back, Joe!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts