MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question to everyone who watches bike racing, who is (in your opinion of course) the greatest motorcycle racer of all time? But not only who, but why you believe that person is the greatest. :rolleyes: There are many many contenders including a certain Mr Rossi, but don't forget the great riders of the past eras, Hailwood, Agostini, Spencer, Doohan, Roberts, Sheene.

I think Valentino is very close to the top but I suppose being a Brit I have to choose Mike Hailwood myself. :king: Why? Well if you see footage of Mike's riding style he was ultra smooth, never leaning off the bike like modern riders, but of course ultra quick and he won his races on a wide variety of makes and capacities, despite being a big guy he rode 125's and 250's, Triumphs, Hondas, Ducati's and of course MV's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aaron Slight.
The best rider never to win a championship!Always in the shadow of Fogarty and more often than not his team mates as well.
Yet but for some cruel twists of fate, including brain surgery his career could have been so much different!
I will always have a great deal of respect for that man.World superbikes is just not the same nowadays.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's too hard to answer.

Certainly, as it stands now lots of people would say Rossi. He's definitely up there.

My problem with saying that Rossi is the best is that he's only one of two world champions in the field, the other being Roberts (for the big bikes only, not counting little bikes or WSB at this time).

Now, take it back to when Rainey, Lawson, Spencer, Schwantz, Doohan, and Gardner were all in the mix (maybe not all at the same time, but you see what I mean), winning at that time REALLY meant something. I really think that if Wayne Rainey didn't get hurt, he would have stuck it to Doohan a few times.

Who's the best? I'll go by numbers. Agostini. But even he said that Hailwood was good :)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yep, it's hard to choose but i'd say Rossi.
Although Rossi consider Mike Hailwood the best of all (after himself, perhaps :rolleyes: :laughing: ).

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Not too original, but I'd also choose Rossi. The way he overtakes is just fenomenal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Rossi no doubt, he's the Michael Jordan of MotoGP, but in "FASTER" even he said the Rainey/Schwantz/Doohan era was the best ever. Of course, I've always liked Spencer and after spending time at his school last month, he will get my vote as personal favorite.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JamesC said:
Road Racers are a serious breed and I think deserve special dispensation. Because the GP and TT's of the era were run on these courses I don't think it could ever be a closed circuit champion to take that honor?
Good point James, but you haven't commited yourself! :jsm: Name two if you wish, road racer and a track racer! :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
they are nothing compaired to what this man did:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peet, you are right. 'Yer Maun' is certainly up there amongst the all time greats, his record speaks for itself, the phrase - great ambassador for the sport - is used sparingly but fits Joey to a tee. A great man and a great rider.

http://www.ttwebsite.com/features/joeydunlop/ :king:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think there are many greats. Most have been named. a few off the top of my feeble head...

Surtees
Duke
Hailwood
Sheene
K Roberts Senior
Spencer
Lawson
Rainey
Schwantz
Doohan

real roads heroes...
"Yer Maun"
Jefferies
McGuiness

But Rossi is the obvious GOAT.

Yes the Rainey, Doohan, Schwantz, Kuscinski, Gardner era was fantastic.

BUT LOOK WHO ROSSI is racing (or raced, beat and emberrassed)
a partial list of WORLD CHAMPIONS of the top of my head:

Kenny JR
Max Biaggi
Troy Bayliss
Neil Hodgson
Marco Melandri
Danny Pedrosa
Loris Capirossi
Alex Creville
Colin Edwards
More??

These guys have WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

And near world champions or very serious contenders:

Haga
Stoner
Vermulen
More??

And national champs

Hayden
Byrne
Kato
??more??

he has done this without the benifit of the best machinery in every case...

So I think its fair to say that the "Golden Age" of roadracing motorcycles IS NOW!!! We are watching the greatest racer of all time continue to dominate a VERY competitive field.

If he pulls off the Championship this year I will have a bronze idol made and will hold services on Sundays....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I just can't agree that Rossi is THAT good. He is good though, of course. But I'm just old enough to have seen Lawson and Rainey on TV when they were at their peak, and I haven't personally seen a rider that can top what Lawson was doing. Not Rossi, not anybody. Lawson was magic, and he had other world champions to ride against, unlike Rossi (for the most part). Schwantz had it once in a while but he was too streaky. Rainey was more than dominant when he was on. Doohan, the same, but he didn't have a lot of competition, much like Rossi.

But, I'm NOT old enough to have seen Ago ride. He probably did have the best equipment, but he has the most championships. That's gotta mean something.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh yeah, Joey Dunlop is a personal favorite of mine. Watching him at the TT was phenominal. However, he didn't have much success on short tracks, and that's really where the talent is measured. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your view.

Something worth mentioning is that Doug Chandler is one of few riders in the modern era to win a mile dirttrack race, an American style TT, and a Superbike race. To some American riders, this is huge.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
C'mon get serious guys, it must be Rossi. We will never see this again for who knows how long.
This is coming from a one eyed Aussie who thought Doohan was the man, but Rossi, he is simply magical.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts