MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I didn't get to ride my bike on this route:)(), but I had to mention it since it was such a beautiful thing. Route 40 between Groveland and Mariposa, California. Here's a Google Maps Link

Great scenery, tight twisty road, no traffic. I think we saw 5 cars going the opposite way and two cars passed us. There are a lot of great roads around the area, I just liked that there wasn't any traffic. All of the main roads into and around Yosemite are beautiful and would be great on a motorcycle, but due to traffic, not as much fun.

I unfortunately, did not realize how twisty and hilly the road would be when I decided to take this "scenic" route with my pickup and 18' travel trailer (I added a nice hour to our trip home:thewife:). The maximum speed I reached was about 35 mph and I was doing between 20 and 30 most of the time due to the curves and change in elevation.

I've included an image of part of the road (if you look closely you can see it snaking off into the distance). And, of course, one photo of Yosemite (Vernal and Nevada Falls) since it is such a beautiful area.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes Chris, it is beautiful up there. I want to ride on some of those roads. I've been up there hundreds of times in my truck but never on my bike. Perhaps a Yosemite group ride :stickpoke

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Wicked Bends..... But watch out for Bears..

I was lucky enough to ride those roads in 2008 when I visited my mate for 5 weeks.. We did the Ultimate road trip on bikes all over California, and a ride through Yosemite was part of that trip..

The brakes took a hammering on those roads and kept over heating...

I can see why they call parts of the USA Gods country..

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Chris, it is beautiful up there. I want to ride on some of those roads. I've been up there hundreds of times in my truck but never on my bike. Perhaps a Yosemite group ride :stickpoke
I am all for a group ride near Yosemite. It is just a matter of getting there. Even from Monterey, it us quite a boring drive let alone from SoCal. There are some really beautiful roads in California, but that middle part of the state is better left to Goldwings.

I am probably done with traveling plans this year, but next year is a definite possibility, unless I can be convinced otherwise to do it sooner, maybe a long weekend.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I was lucky enough to ride those roads in 2008 when I visited my mate for 5 weeks.. We did the Ultimate road trip on bikes all over California, and a ride through Yosemite was part of that trip..

The brakes took a hammering on those roads and kept over heating...

I can see why they call parts of the USA Gods country..

Speaking of bears... here's one that was roaming around near a bike path right in town (Mammoth Lakes on the other side of the mountains).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
For at least 5 weeks, it will include Vegas, Nashville, Watkins Glen and maybe Dover, but most probably Sharlotte, early in the year is better for the car scene.

Then there will be Bubba's place :yo:.

Still planning, but coming over with a mate and his wife who's just done 5 weeks following the Nascar scene etc.
New York will be on the route somewhere, have to pay or respect's.

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
Dons, that puts you in my neck of the woods.....

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
We'll figure something out...keep us posted of your plans!

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
For at least 5 weeks, it will include Vegas, Nashville, Watkins Glen and maybe Dover, but most probably Sharlotte, early in the year is better for the car scene.

Then there will be Bubba's place :yo:.

Still planning, but coming over with a mate and his wife who's just done 5 weeks following the Nascar scene etc.
New York will be on the route somewhere, have to pay or respect's.
You want to add Lake Tahoe, Monterey (best Clam Chowder and check out the Aquarium) , Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive, Carmel, The Sequoia’s, Yosemite Park and the Sierra Mountain range to your list of places to visit and things to see..

Make sure you got good brakes and watch out for bears over the Sierra's..

A good biking road is the stretch of the Salmon Falls road northeast of Sacramento.. Mind blowing !!!

The only downside is the Americans still drive on the wrong side of the road.. When will they grow up and see the light.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
?

Donsy;
the absolute must see things in the US are Yosemite and Yellowstone......in California the Sequoias and the coast at Big Sur

Yosemite you want to see in late spring at the height of the snow melt.....you can check with the National Park Service for estimated time

there is no place on Earth like Yosemite 1st entered by White men in 1851......300 years after California was settled

best motorcycle road in the State, Highway 36......

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

unfortunately a horrible 9 hour plank ride or 4 days up and back

keep me posted with your plans

:drummer:

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
there is no place on Earth like Yosemite 1st entered by White men in 1851......300 years after California was settled

:drummer:
Noel... We own a property in the centre of St Albans that was built in 1852 ( still has the original roof timbers).... It's currently rented out to a couple who work in the City of London... The main St Albans Cathedral which is only a stones through away from our property dates back to Norman times and was built in 1077... Now that's old.. :jsm:

They don't build houses like they used to.. :)

·
Registered
14,741 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Absolutely none.. I was just making the observation that this property I own was only built 10 years after the first white men apparently entered Yosemite..

Makes you wonder what was going through their heads when these white men first saw the Sequoias and decided: “ I know…. Lets cut down that Big Tree”…

One things for sure, they weren’t very considerate to Mother Nature back in them days !

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
We did Yosemite route about 8 years ago. Rental cars seems to go faster there!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
You want to add Lake Tahoe, Monterey (best Clam Chowder and check out the Aquarium) , Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive, Carmel, The Sequoia’s, Yosemite Park and the Sierra Mountain range to your list of places to visit and things to see..

Make sure you got good brakes and watch out for bears over the Sierra's..

A good biking road is the stretch of the Salmon Falls road northeast of Sacramento.. Mind blowing !!!

The only downside is the Americans still drive on the wrong side of the road.. When will they grow up and see the light.. :)

I agree John,
40 mins from where I live and awesome riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts