MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just curious to know if anyone else has the same issue as me. My rear wheel gets real greasy real quick. I can keep cleaning it but it just gets greasy again, as if the hub leaks grease and spreads over the entire wheel centrifugally from the center. Only started doing it 6 months after I bought it in 2012. I have had the hub serviced about 9 months ago and the same thing keeps happening. Not sure if I should be worried or just keep cleaning it. has 20k on the clock '07 B4 750.

Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
Hey all,

Just curious to know if anyone else has the same issue as me. My rear wheel gets real greasy real quick. I can keep cleaning it but it just gets greasy again, as if the hub leaks grease and spreads over the entire wheel centrifugally from the center. Only started doing it 6 months after I bought it in 2012. I have had the hub serviced about 9 months ago and the same thing keeps happening. Not sure if I should be worried or just keep cleaning it. has 20k on the clock '07 B4 750.

Thanks in advance.
What chain lube do you use and how often do you lube your chain? If the hub is leaking grease past the seal you should see the grease towards the centre of the sprocket on the inside,then outwards in a spray pattern.Shine a torch in there and have a look.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the same problem. I know it's the chain lube flinging.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
What chain lube do you use and how often do you lube your chain? If the hub is leaking grease past the seal you should see the grease towards the centre of the sprocket on the inside,then outwards in a spray pattern.Shine a torch in there and have a look.
Or on the rear brake :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. True about the chain, I thought you might be onto something there but the chain is on the other side. Check out this photo, there are streaks leading from the hub outwards on the front of the wheel

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
Thanks for the picture,and I can see your problem now.You need to remove the rear wheel and see whats going on.A few issues can cause this.When the hub was serviced maybe too much grease is inside the hub and it's pressurising causing the grease too escape.If poor quality grease is used it can melt with the heat generated in the hub and turn to runny muck.The outer seal on the wheel side bearing is damaged letting grease out.Is their any grease on the inside of the disc rotor.Normally you will see that first.The very worst case is the wheel side bearing is starting to fail.Get the bike on a rear stand and see if their is any movement in the wheel.Should be zero.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought. That's why i had it serviced and it was good for about a few days and started doing it again

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
That looks like they put grease on the axle nut and maybe even in the axle. Remove the wheel, clean the threads on the nut and axle, inspect the hub and tell us what you find.

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
Even if they put too much grease on the axle,you would think after this period of time it would have dried up,but a little bit of grease can go a long way and nothing surprises me anymore with people working on these bikes, Eh Donsy lol.Are you mechanically able to remove the hub yourself if you are not sure what the problem is?Just a suggestion, you can courier the hub to me at my workshop in South Tweed Heads and I will refurbish the hub for you for the cost of parts and return courier only.I stock all the parts.The offer is there if you want help.:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thanks heaps mitchy. I may just come come for a ride down there one day to see you and see if you want to have a look at it.

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
No worries.I don't work on bikes though at my workshop.It is strickly cars and trucks.But I can repair the hub if necessary.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts