MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a little advise needed, I am going to upgrade the rear hub next year but until then I will be doing a hub service. Just like your thoughts and recommendations on the grease type to use. I know that it has to be high temp bearing grease because of the nature of the standard hub/bearings setup.

I have attached a photo of the grease I have at work which I use for wheel bearings in the old classics. Do you think this would be suitable or do I need to purchase another type grease. Cannot get the manual recommendation easily over here.

Thank you

Jimmy

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used Shell Retinax when i did my bearings, done almost 8k with it without problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Shell Retinax when i did my bearings, done almost 8k with it without problems.
Thanks Viggen, Ill check that out online. Just wondering if this grease I already have is gonna be upto the job. I think it should be fine but wanted to check with you guys, Im new to sensitive hubs lol, after reading horror threads about these 1st gen ones. Next year ill be done with it and grab one of the uprated hubs.

·
Vendor
5,489 Posts
I use Penrite high temperature bearing grease,lithium based to pack all my new hubs with.
I have had good feedback on how the grease stays consistant after high mileage,so I will keep using it.
You probably cannot buy Penrite where you live,not sure.
The Castrol product you showed is also very good quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The workshop manual for the year 2000+ bikes gives the following specifications for grease for the hub bearings. How does yours compare with that?
Hi Tony thanks for the reply, all info online for the Castrol grease is very vague, some are selling it as NLGI 2 spec and others don't mention it. The melting point is in spec but like I say very vague info at best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Penrite high temperature bearing grease,lithium based to pack all my new hubs with.
I have had good feedback on how the grease stays consistant after high mileage,so I will keep using it.
You probably cannot buy Penrite where you live,not sure.
The Castrol product you showed is also very good quality.

Hi Mitch, thanks for the info I will see if I can get hold of that grease for future. The Castrol grease seems like it will be upto the job but wanted to make sure. Maybe in touch soon regarding the uprated Mitchy Hub:wink2:. I guess that's the Penrite grease that ships with your hubs so may aswell try and get some. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
20,784 Posts
I use grease designated for CV Joints in cars.... High temp is one thing, high pressure is also critical.

Automotive CV Joints suffer severe pressure and heat...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions guys ill have a look online:wink2:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I picked up a tub of Timken wheel Bearing grease on Amazon last year when I cleaned and lubed my sweet Mitchy hub. It is like the Penrite (those lucky Australians can buy) with NLGI 2 lithium. There are several good wheel bearing grease options: BelRay, Maxima, Lucas, Kawasaki brand High Temp/Waterproof, etc. Long as it is meets the required specification it should be good. Best of luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the suggestions guys much appreciated as always, I have found the specs on the Castrol grease I have and it is NLGI 2 so should be fine for now. Get myself a Mitchy hub over or just after winter and Ive managed to find a supplier of the penrite grease on ebay so Im going to purchase some for the Mitchy hub future services.

Cheers

Jimmy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The specs I found on the Castrol grease I have so should be good for hub service for now

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,489 Posts
A grease thread is like an oil thread where you will get dozens of opinions and they will all be the best.
Go with the Castrol grease it ticks all the boxes and is a good product.:wink2:

·
Registered
399 Posts
As it was raining this morning I tracked down and compared the specifications for the greases listed and/or shown above and the eniLC2 which I use and the MV specifications.

Predictably (and boringly if there is such a word) they all met the MV specifications but the operating temperature ranges were mildly interesting:
MV spec -25 to +120
Castrol -30 to +140
eni -25 to +175
Penrite -10 to +170
Nulon -35 to +140.
(all degrees C)

How hot will the hub and bearings get under heavy loads on a hot day? I've felt the swinging arm around the hub very hot to the touch after a busy day. So the bearings (and grease) would be running far hotter than that. I'll take a temperature gun next time I'm out.

Enough, the rain has cleared!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A grease thread is like an oil thread where you will get dozens of opinions and they will all be the best.
Go with the Castrol grease it ticks all the boxes and is a good product.:wink2:
Hahaha Don't worry Mitch I will not be starting an oil thread. I guess your right just wanted conformation because of the sensitivity of the standard hub. All good now so think we can put this Grease/oil thread to bed:grin2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As it was raining this morning I tracked down and compared the specifications for the greases listed and/or shown above and the eniLC2 which I use and the MV specifications.

Predictably (and boringly if there is such a word) they all met the MV specifications but the operating temperature ranges were mildly interesting:
MV spec -25 to +120
Castrol -30 to +140
eni -25 to +175
Penrite -10 to +170
Nulon -35 to +140.
(all degrees C)

How hot will the hub and bearings get under heavy loads on a hot day? I've felt the swinging arm around the hub very hot to the touch after a busy day. So the bearings (and grease) would be running far hotter than that. I'll take a temperature gun next time I'm out.

Enough, the rain has cleared!

Thanks for taking the time Tony:grin2:, atleast it kept you good while it was raining. Glad it cleared up mate ride safe:wink2:

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is my grease of choice waterproof and dielectric properties to boot

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts