MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been an infrequent contributor to the forum recently, what with work, the season & other interests in my spare time taking my focus away from bikes. But this is one of the outcomes....

1971 VW Kombi camper.

Left hand drive so my American bubs are welcome to tour around with us if they can make it down our way and it's rear engined just like Randy's Porsche! Yes Randy, that's a hint.
Excellent back to the metal restoration with a new engine. A true credit to the prior owner who spent 2 and a half years on the restoration.

Should be picking up it next weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Great to see you on the forum again Dave. Nice toy and it could be converted to carry a bike for a trackday:stickpoke

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
David, your Kombi is rear engined, yes it is.......but so is a Greyhound Bus.

:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
Surf's up Dudes and Dudettes!! Love the headlight hoods!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
They are fantastic things aren't they. My wife hired a 1974 camper for my 40th this year when we went back to Scotland. Great few days cruising around with the kids. I'd love one of these or a splitty but they're no cheap at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
ok dave so what plans for mods are u considering

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Very cool Dave!

I have fond memories of a (somewhat horrific at the time) road trip in a VW Microbus in the '70s. I believe that the one I tripped in used exhaust-surround heat exchangers (or some sort of weird coil system) to generate heat for the cabin, and did so quite unsuccessfully. As it was winter, it was a bit of a problem. One which we could only address by continually numbing our senses. :smoking:

The Microbus loaded with 5-6 people struggled to go up hills and was drafty as hell, but it was a memorable road trip.

Those in the condition of yours seem to be appreciating in value dramatically in the States.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
23 window VW micro busses are frequently a six figure purchase.....

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love to hear old stories of our youth.
Feel free to keep them coming.

This particular Kombi has a meticulous history included with it. Like no other vehicle I have ever seen.
It details the usual things like servicing & maintenance etc. but goes into incredible detail including listing every single tank of fuel, where the fuel was purchased and the price paid since 1975!!!!!

Like Randy says - with vehicles like these you're acting as a curator for the next owner.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Looks great Dave! Congrats to you and Mel.

So is this an extra bedroom for the NZMV meet in Nov? :stickpoke:stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Well done Dave, 1st car I ever drove and had to stand doing so, I was only 7 and in was a 75km dirt road trip.
I saw a good one sell in the USA the other day for US$64 000.00, hang on to that thing :)

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Donsy.
Great story.

I know that this old girl will age well and we will surely look after her.
The current owner is very sad to see her go but, as he says, he has put his memories into her and it's time for the next owner to do the same.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Melanie's a great curator.......she's keeping Dave alive.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
When a Car More Than A Car?

Hi Dave, heck - I've been spending even less time than you here ( I've fallen almost 1000 post behind when I used to be about 1000 ahead of you - lol), house renovations have completely overtaken our lives but that's another story.

I saw your thread purely by chance and firstly I must say congratulations to you Melanie and yourself and secondly, bloody hell WOW!!!!!!!! What a fantastic acquisition - Christian is into the whole Kombi rat look thing so if yours ever falls into total disrepair and squalor (which I seriously doubt) you have a ready made buyer -:laughing:

Congratulations again - above all else may you both enjoy it in wonderful health.

Cheers
Rob

Ps. Liana is now working in advertising and was part of the team responsible for the VW 'when is a car more than car?" advert series where they used real owners and real cars to make it, she kind of channelled us (real owners) with our MV attachments as part of the VW idea. Check it out you might get a kick out of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHYhaM937Mg

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
That's pretty Cool Rob.

Hi Dave, You might find this hard to believe but when I dream of winning the Lotto one day it's not always about bikes - :bawling::mouthwate:mouthwate:)

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Love the split-screen campers, I think a lottery win is the only way I'm getting one of those in that condition.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts