MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my year 2000 F4 this afternoon and rode it the 20 miles home.

My first impressions are generally good. I've not ridden an inline 4 since my '97 GSX-R600, barring a day on a friends R1, and a test ride on a CBR6 a couple of years ago.

The first thing that confused me was remembering just how many revs I've got to play with. I rode away from the dealership, changing up into 3rd before it'd ever broken the 5k rpm mark and I think I could have been forgiven for thinking there might be something wrong with it. Only when I hit the main road and let it fly up to 8 or 9k did I begin to remember how to ride a four. I'm just not used to hearing that many revs!

I checked and confirmed that the tyres, as I stated in another post, are the original fitment, date stamped 379. (3rd July 1999?!) With only 1160 miles (really!) on the clock it's obviously never needed another set. A finger nail check confirmed they're not hard and brittle, but I'm still going to take it real easy until I can get a new set fitted next week.

It was about 25 Deg C out today and the bike ran at around 91-95C during the ride. Is this normal? I checked an it's only got the one radiator, so that's something I'll have to look into if necessary.

The bike seemed really stable, but I found the bars tended to tip in to tight corners, whereas my 748 just remains neutral. I found myself adding counter steer pretty all the time, even at slow riding to maintain composure. It could be I need to modify my behaviour a bit to get used to the different chassis. Hw should the steering damper be adjusted? What's the stock setting?

I knew the rear visibility would be poor in the mirrors, but not this bad! Not only that but I could seem to adjust them, and since I've been warned by the dealer not to force them as they crack, I didn't want to try too hard. Is this normal? Is there any trick to mirror adjustment? My 748's got screw holes in the bottom of the mirror assemblies for adjusting the tightness of the movement. Is there not anything similar on the MV? I looked at the two screws underneath but they appear only to hold the whole assembly in place.

Overall I was very impressed with the power. I don't care if it's down on a comparable aged Gixxer. My 748's got an 853cc kit in it (about 105 bhp, 62 ft/Lbs) so I was really keen to see how the 750 four would compare. And I think it compares favourably. The extra horses are very noticable, and on the brief run today it didn't feel like it accelerated any slower than the Duc, especially considering I was taking it easy! Slow corners were a problem for me, mainly because the Ducat's so good low down while feathering the clutch. The F4 feels more grabby and I definitely felt more ponderous taking turnings. I guess once I get used to a four again that'll come naturally. I'm sure once I begin to forget trying to ride it like a Ducati I'll begin to really enjoy it.

The lack of comfort is something I'm going to have to get used to. After 8 miles on the highway following traffic I was desperate to get off and find a quiet back road. After that I didn't notice too much, but it's definitely less comfortable that the Ducati, and that's saying something...

If Tamburini's a genius then why the heck did he come up with this flip up sidestand? I have to get that fixed. It's bringing back memories already of me sweating putting my 748 on and off the rearstand before I had that one fixed too. That's going to be my first mod, assuming my local dealer has the part in stock tomorrow.

So, all in all, I'm a very happy boy!!

Si

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Congrats!!!! :yo:

Yeah, the low speed tight corners can be a PITA before you get used to it.
Just take it easy and enjoy. :smoking:

Ahhh.... and don't forget to post some pics.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice one! Good weather for it too!

Running temperature is normal in this weather with a single radiator (twin radiator expect 10 degrees lower).

Side stand on the 2000/1 models is a pain, there are two ways to modify it, the easy way (taking 5 minutes) or the way using some parts and a bit more time.

See this link: http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/08/side-stand-mod.html

Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
785 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
The bike seemed really stable, but I found the bars tended to tip in to tight corners, whereas my 748 just remains neutral. I found myself adding counter steer pretty all the time, even at slow riding to maintain composure. It could be I need to modify my behaviour a bit to get used to the different chassis. Hw should the steering damper be adjusted? What's the stock setting?
In terms of turning around slow corners, check the tyre pressure on your front tyre (should be 36psi), otherwise it sounds like the front suspension settings are too soft, again need checking.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Mine is a 2000 F4S and one of the first thing I did was the side stand mod. It takes about 1 hour to do it properly with the correct parts (1/2 hour just cleaning off the grease from the stand).

·
Registered
367 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
The first thing that confused me was remembering just how many revs I've got to play with. I rode away from the dealership, changing up into 3rd before it'd ever broken the 5k rpm mark and I think I could have been forgiven for thinking there might be something wrong with it.
I had the same problem test rinding a Duc 999, changing down gears too early etc, it protested quite a lot :)

TheCatWhisperer said:
It was about 25 Deg C out today and the bike ran at around 91-95C during the ride. Is this normal? I checked an it's only got the one radiator, so that's something I'll have to look into if necessary.
One downer of the MVs, I think as other people mentioned sensor is in the worng spot ..(like after the radiator) .. its hard to believe that setting off from the lights can make it 10-20degC cooler, its just that the radiator is cooling the water getting to the sensor.

This would be my number one on my wish list considering how important it is to monitor your temperature.

I have read where they can get to 105degC, but they have a temp warning light.

TheCatWhisperer said:
The bike seemed really stable, but I found the bars tended to tip in to tight corners, whereas my 748 just remains neutral.
I quite like that, but when riding really slow its not good.

I found the opposite problem test riding the 999, I needed to put too much force to tip it in. But these are things you get the hang of.. like a characteristic.
I think at speed the weighting of the MVs are near perfect .. that may be just me..

TheCatWhisperer said:
I knew the rear visibility would be poor in the mirrors, but not this bad! Not only that but I could seem to adjust them, and since I've been warned by the dealer not to force them as they crack, I didn't want to try too hard. Is this normal?
You may not get all the adjustment you need,... :) .. Looking under your arms seems to work well.
Or swerve side to side :stickpoke

TheCatWhisperer said:
Overall I was very impressed with the power. I don't care if it's down on a comparable aged Gixxer. My 748's got an 853cc kit in it (about 105 bhp, 62 ft/Lbs) so I was really keen to see how the 750 four would compare. And I think it compares favourably.
Heres some stats I collected before buying mine, but I ended up buying a 1000:
MV Agusta F4S (2000 Model)
128.00 HP (93.4 kW)) @ 12480 RPM
190.0 kg (418.9 pounds)

TheCatWhisperer said:
The lack of comfort is something I'm going to have to get used to. After 8 miles on the highway following traffic I was desperate to get off and find a quiet back road. After that I didn't notice too much, but it's definitely less comfortable that the Ducati, and that's saying something...
Call me a sadist but I am quite comfy on it. My wife also didn't mind the pillion either.

TheCatWhisperer said:
So, all in all, I'm a very happy boy!!
Great..

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts