MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
Is it true that when you receive a black belt, you have to register with the police or something? A buddy from work said his brother-in law had to do that up here in San Jose when he received his black belt. Just wondering if I should always try and stay on your good side... :stickpoke :stickpoke :rolleyes:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Darkside said:
Is it true that when you receive a black belt, you have to register with the police or something? A buddy from work said his brother-in law had to do that up here in San Jose when he received his black belt. Just wondering if I should always try and stay on your good side... :stickpoke :stickpoke :rolleyes:
:laughing: :laughing: no need to register yourself as a lethal weapon here in L.A., although I have heard of that before... not sure if it was real life or in the movies. however it is possible to receive a CCW(concealed carry weapons) permit in the state of California, at the discretion of your local law enforcement agency, in fact it is possible to get it in more than 1/2 of the states in America.

I don't have a "black belt" in any of the martial arts I have learned, I started in Aikido, I was ranked 1st kyu(one level below black belt), trained almost daily, went to summer training camps for 3 years and many seminars, but left the school because it was becoming a bit cult like... after that I was sick and tired of the political aspect of the MA and decided to take private lesson only, in Jujitsu, kickboxing and philippino stick and knife fighting, black belt was the last thing I wanted after experincing the BS at the school. if participate in the training of MA you will quickly realize that the "black belt" is no more than a certificate that you get from a riding school/trackdays in the way that it officially proves that you had fulfilled their requirements when you finish the course, it doesn't quarantee you will win a race/fight, and practically, the traditional MA generally doesn't prepare you for a real life confrontation.

There are no time outs, no tap outs, no parameters, no rules on the streets, even the UFC and those so call "no rules" fighting tournaments have lots of rules compared to the real life fights.

IMHO, the best way to not lose a fight on the streets is to not get into one, if you can help it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Darkside said:

A friend of mine got his black belt in Tae Kwon Do in San Jose, he didn't have to register.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
odonata said:
IMHO, the best way to not lose a fight on the streets is to not get into one, if you can help it.

As a jedi master in absolutely f*** all, I subscribe to this point of view wholeheartedly. :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It's even more maddening knowing that this was not a genuine accident. I hate these types of assholes on the road and commend you for keeping your composure...maybe age is mellowing us :stickpoke :)

This guy got lucky this time, I wonder if he will learn anything for it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am sorry to hear that, but at least you are ok.

odonata said:
This happened 5 hours ago (5:30pm) as I was going to teach at the concert hall before our 8pm concert.

I was riding my R6 on the local street, going through a intersection, my lane was clear, no cars ahead of me for almost a big city block. The lane to my right was backed up slightly because there was a slow moving bus in the front.

As the light turned yellow, the car next to me decided to change into my lane (I guess to avoid getting stuck in the intersection), however he didn't use his turn signal. I was cautious and spotted this happening, so I swerved a bit to avoid getting hit from the side and to create more distance; I revved the engine to let him know I was there as I sped up to pass and get away from him, he honked his horn back at me... I saw him speeding up behind me in my rear view mirror, at that moment another car about 30 meters infront of me signaled to come into my lane, I slowed down, and the guy who nearly hit me before honked again and bumped into me at about 5 mph.

I stayed up, did not drop the bike or fall, I tried to put the bike on the stand but the bike was stuck in the upright position, (later I figured out that the car's plastic bumper was biting the tire) so he had to back up a bit to release me.

after the bike was freed, I put the bike on the side stand right there and walked over to him, he shouted at me: "why did you stop?" I told him about the car ahead of me, and I asked him if he saw me, he said nothing... so I asked him to pull over the the side of the road so we can exchange the legal info, he said "what for? why?" I told him that although my bike looked undamaged with the first glance, I wanted to be sure and exchange our info(besides it's a legal obligation)

So I got on my bike to pull over to the side, but he decided to drive away! :shocker:

I followed him, stayed behind him, memorizing his plate numbers, being careful not to let him have a chance to run me over with his car. At a red light, I pulled up next to him, waved at him and tried to get him to pull over, he ignored me completely,... since I know the area, I knew we were going towards to a LAPD station, so I rode away from him and went into the police station's parking lot and started telling 2 cops standing there what happened

About 5 minutes into speaking to the cops, he pulled in to the parking lot(perhaps realizing hit& run is a serious matter); with the help of the police we exchanged legal info.

While we were standing there, I finally noticed that my Graves ti exhaust can was dented badly in 2 spots(bottom and the top, the bracket was also deformed), and his car's plastic bumper had a nice round indentation in the center from my rear wheel.

During the whole situation, I was very well behaved, never aggressive... I surprised myself.

Anyway, that's what happened, tomorrow I will take to bike to a dealer and have them look over the whole thing carefully, on the way to work and coming home, I did notice that the rear wheel felt a bit odd, perhaps the alignment was off or the tire pressure had dropped.

I am glad that things were not worse then it was, nobody got hurt, since it was in a not-so-desirable area, I am also glad that no weapons were drawn, some of you may think I am joking when I say that, but that's a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY here, after all L.A. is the road rage/freeway shooting/police pursuit capital of the world.

I love riding, both on the track and on the street... everyday before I leave home for work, I always hug my son, look him in the eyes and say to him "I will see you later", and as I get on my bike, I think to myself that I will try to come home in one piece... although this was a real minor incident, I am going to do some more soul searching... I was lucky today, the fact is that we have almost no control of what happens in traffic.

I would hate to hear the bad news of anyone here getting hurt, hopefully this story serves as a reminder for you all to be careful when riding, especially on the streets.

The reason I am writing is to talk about the 910R.
This morning I read a long discussion about the exhust issue and now it seems that it ha been removed form the site. I have friends that mite be abele to help us or at least get the facts out in the open. Email me if you want to discus it.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
maway said:
The reason I am writing is to talk about the 910R.
This morning I read a long discussion about the exhust issue and now it seems that it ha been removed form the site. I have friends that mite be abele to help us or at least get the facts out in the open. Email me if you want to discus it.
:wtf: maway, please introduce yourself? What is it that you are referring to?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rockethouse said:
It's even more maddening knowing that this was not a genuine accident. I hate these types of assholes on the road and commend you for keeping your composure...maybe age is mellowing us :stickpoke :)

This guy got lucky this time, I wonder if he will learn anything for it?
This is when a video system on board would be very useful....

My daughter is a karate instructor, and if you have martial arts skills, if you hurt someone (outside of competition!) it is regarded as more serious than average Joe because you should have known better ... its like a former army marksman shooting someone in the head and claiming they only meant to shoot in the legs!!!

Doc

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
DoctorMV said:
This is when a video system on board would be very useful....

My daughter is a karate instructor, and if you have martial arts skills, if you hurt someone (outside of competition!) it is regarded as more serious than average Joe because you should have known better ... its like a former army marksman shooting someone in the head and claiming they only meant to shoot in the legs!!!

Doc
I would have needed both a foward looking and rear facing camera... :conveyer:

Like I said, the best thing is to avoid the fight, but I believe if it's absolutely not possible to avoid it, one needs to end it as quickly as possible.

thanks Dr MV, I totally agree with your point, since you mentioned shooting I just want to add something:

In defensive/tactical shooting schools, we were taught in situations where deadly force is justified and needed to neutralize a deadly attack, one has to "shoot to stop" the attack, not "shoot to kill", nor "shoot to wound"... it is almost never taught to shoot in the limbs because they are difficult targets to hit (especially when in motion!)and the assailant can still carry on their deadly attack, so the standard response for CQB(close quarter battle) with a pistol is to fire 2 consecutive shots(AKA controlled pair) into the assailant's "center of mass" (a half-oval area covering the sternum,and both lungs), then quickly assess the situation, if the threat continues, fire one shot into the head to "turn off the lights", specifically into the box between the outer 4 corners of eye brows and mustaches. this is the best way to ensure that the deadly attack stops, of course, there is a good chance one can die from taking 2 well place pistol rounds in the center mass, but it is the consequence of getting into a deadly confrontation.

Not only is it dangerous to fight (from punching to shooting), it is an expensive proposition too, one thing for sure is if cops are called, you are quaranteed a ride in their patrol car to the station even if you were totally justified to defend yourself, and $$$$ for bail, $$$$$$$ for attorney, etc... not to mention the emotional burden... it is often a life altering experience. Sorry for getting so technical and gloomy, but this is the main reason why I tried hard to neutralize the situation by being calm, because you don't know who you are dealing with, and potentially things can get very ugly on the street very quickly...

:conveyer: :conveyer:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sorry to hear all this Ben. I just got home and saw this. You know, I gave up commuting to work on motorcycle many years ago. There were (are) just too many freaks out there trying to get me. I had too many close calls where drivers intentionally tried to get me, and in a couple of cases they did! One time in a rush hour traffic on a bridge with no shoulder or a place to run off, a semi-truck was playing bumper car with me while I was on my motorcycle...there were a couple of cars that had marked me when I'd go by them, they'd try to run me off the road as I went passed them!

Now, I just go for joy rides, track days, and try to avoid traffic/rush hour riding....

Anyways glad to hear you are ok...

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
kamranmarashi said:
Sorry to hear all this Ben. I just got home and saw this. You know, I gave up commuting to work on motorcycle many years ago. There were (are) just too many freaks out there trying to get me. I had too many close calls where drivers intentionally tried to get me, and in a couple of cases they did! One time in a rush hour traffic on a bridge with no shoulder or a place to run off, a semi-truck was playing bumper car with me while I was on my motorcycle...there were a couple of cars that had marked me when I'd go by them, they'd try to run me off the road as I went passed them!

Now, I just go for joy rides, track days, and try to avoid traffic/rush hour riding....

Anyways glad to hear you are ok...
Thanks, Kamran, after having been able to think the whole thing through today, I realize that this was not an accident, it was a road rage incident.

Just curious... Is lane sharing legal in WA.? I have heard a lot of stories of cars trying to run bikers off the road at states where people are not use to motorcycle going between cars in traffic.

I need to think about it more carefully... I am using motorcycle for 90% of my commutes, it certainly is much quicker and more fun, but I also have a lot to lose. :conveyer: :stickpoke :conveyer: :stickpoke

·
Registered
878 Posts
odonata said:
Just curious... Is lane sharing legal in WA.? I have heard a lot of stories of cars trying to run bikers off the road at states where people are not use to motorcycle going between cars in traffic.
Some one just told me it was passed a year or so ago??? But I don't think so. I need to check with the State Patrol. But I don't see motorcyclists do it here in WA. I certainly wouldn't dare do it (used to do it in my younger days), unless the traffic is at a stand still. I've heard friends of mine do it and got yelled at by drivers: "Hey this is no California, you F#$%&*...!" Just too many people going crazy with all the economical pressures around them. They don't like to see anyone get ahead of them if they can help it.... I think they see people in their professional lives (or there lack of) get ahead of them all the time and it frustrates them. So when it comes to where they could possibly have "the control", they already have all the built in anger to release on an innocent passer by...it's nothing personal, it's just that they are at the end of their string, and want someone to pay for all their problems, and/or take it all out on the first person that gives them an excuse!

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
kamranmarashi said:
Some one just told me it was passed a year or so ago??? But I don't think so. I need to check with the State Patrol. But I don't see motorcyclists do it here in WA. I certainly wouldn't dare do it (used to do it in my younger days), unless the traffic is at a stand still. I've heard friends of mine do it and got yelled at by drivers: "Hey this is no California, you F#$%&*...!" Just too many people going crazy with all the economical pressures around them. They don't like to see anyone get ahead of them if they can help it.... I think they see people in their professional lives (or there lack of) get ahead of them all the time and it frustrates them. So when it comes to where they could possibly have "the control", they already have all the built in anger to release on an innocent passer by...it's nothing personal, it's just that they are at the end of their string, and want someone to pay for all their problems, and/or take it all out on the first person that gives them an excuse!
very true... to be honest, if lane sharing was not allowed here, I probably wouldn't use bikes for commuting...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Lane splitting is legal here in AUS but only when cars are stationary...and I'm not sure but I think only on the drivers side.

Karman, I stopped commuting many years ago for exactly those reasons...as I said in another thread the other day, drivers only notice bikes with a blue light on the back.

·
Registered
479 Posts
odonata said:
Sorry for getting so technical and gloomy, but this is the main reason why I tried hard to neutralize the situation by being calm, because you don't know who you are dealing with, and potentially things can get very ugly on the street very quickly...

:conveyer: :conveyer:
Your whole post is good, but especially this part.

I've had weapons pulled on me 3 times.

Twice guns, and once a knife.

The guns both stemmed from situations I could've avoided. The first time was riding down a farmer's access rode on a dirtbike...actually, I was on the back of my uncle's bike and arguing with him about it. A farmer voiced his displeasure (and ended the argument) with a shotgun pointed at our heads. There were several people years later arrested for drugs on that property.

The second time was years later in high school. A big fight between people of the rival high schools in town was supposed to happen so we went to watch. The fight didn't happen, so some idiot pulled out a Ruger 10/22 and fired some rounds over the crowd to prove he was a bad ass.

I shouldn't have been in either of those situations.

The knife I had pulled on me was building forts as a kid. Him and his little group walked in talking to us and with no warning, pulled out a knife. They were trying to scare me and a buddy out of a fort we'd spent the weekend building. Unfortunately for them, when he showed me his little folding blade, I retorted by pulling my survival knife, we'd been using to cut the bamboo to thatch, out of it's sheath. Thankfully they decided it best to move along....

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
luvtolean said:
Your whole post is good, but especially this part.

I've had weapons pulled on me 3 times.

Twice guns, and once a knife.

The guns both stemmed from situations I could've avoided. The first time was riding down a farmer's access rode on a dirtbike...actually, I was on the back of my uncle's bike and arguing with him about it. A farmer voiced his displeasure (and ended the argument) with a shotgun pointed at our heads. There were several people years later arrested for drugs on that property.

The second time was years later in high school. A big fight between people of the rival high schools in town was supposed to happen so we went to watch. The fight didn't happen, so some idiot pulled out a Ruger 10/22 and fired some rounds over the crowd to prove he was a bad ass.

I shouldn't have been in either of those situations.

The knife I had pulled on me was building forts as a kid. Him and his little group walked in talking to us and with no warning, pulled out a knife. They were trying to scare me and a buddy out of a fort we'd spent the weekend building. Unfortunately for them, when he showed me his little folding blade, I retorted by pulling my survival knife, we'd been using to cut the bamboo to thatch, out of it's sheath. Thankfully they decided it best to move along....
:eek: I am glad that you got out of those situations without getting hurt.

there is nothing more horrifying and stressful than being in a situation where you or your love one is threaten with deadly force, by another person's evil intent.

In close quater fighting, knives are at least as dangerous as a gun... especially in the hands of inexperienced operators... why? because anyone has experience using there arms for everyday task can cause massive amount of damage with a mere 1" scalpel, but not everyone have had proper training with guns to fire and hit their intended target at arms length under the extreme stress of leathal confrontations, perhaps we all have heard of stories like that?

In the world of defensive firearm training, there is a generally accepted "21 feet rule": if a person has an edged weapon and is coming towards you to attack(convinced that the threat is imminent), you are justified to use deadly force as soon as they come within 21 feet to you, the law enforcement officers are also trained with that rule here in the US. because even a personwith average fitness can cover that distance in about 1-2 sencond...

I am not going to go into the nasty effect of both weapons on human body, but if you can get out of the situation, why risk your life over ego and pride? if it's not worth dying for, it's not worth fighting for.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I briefly studied Shorin Ryu in college until a lack of funds meant I had to quit. After practicing taking a knife from someone, I understood real well why a lanyard was important. I decided I'd never use a knife in a fight after that day. A friend, a cocky marine, told me it was bunk. Of course, after a couple of beers one night, it was on with a butter knife. :laughing: My friend was quite a bit stronger than I, and on top of training in the marines, boxed in college, but the basic techniques I'd learned meant I could get the knife from him everytime. He was pissed!

Sparring in karate, I learned you really can't judge a person by their exterior before a fight, you really never know...

I have had a bit of technical firearms training too, but not enough. But enough to have had it drilled into my head how fast an average person can cover 21 feet, and it's nothing flat!

RE: missing at arm's length. In a paintball game I was protecting the flag on this big rock once. It was cool, you could see the whole battlefield from the top and I watched both team's strategy unfold. I heard something and realized I hadn't been paying attention to my immediate surroundings. I walked around the corner of the rock to find myself face-face with the enemy, less than 5'. We both fired, and both missed with our first shots. He got a follow up shot off quicker (this was back in the "pump" days) and I ended up "dead".

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
luvtolean said:
I briefly studied Shorin Ryu in college until a lack of funds meant I had to quit. After practicing taking a knife from someone, I understood real well why a lanyard was important. I decided I'd never use a knife in a fight after that day. A friend, a cocky marine, told me it was bunk. Of course, after a couple of beers one night, it was on with a butter knife. :laughing: My friend was quite a bit stronger than I, and on top of training in the marines, boxed in college, but the basic techniques I'd learned meant I could get the knife from him everytime. He was pissed!

Sparring in karate, I learned you really can't judge a person by their exterior before a fight, you really never know...

I have had a bit of technical firearms training too, but not enough. But enough to have had it drilled into my head how fast an average person can cover 21 feet, and it's nothing flat!

RE: missing at arm's length. In a paintball game I was protecting the flag on this big rock once. It was cool, you could see the whole battlefield from the top and I watched both team's strategy unfold. I heard something and realized I hadn't been paying attention to my immediate surroundings. I walked around the corner of the rock to find myself face-face with the enemy, less than 5'. We both fired, and both missed with our first shots. He got a follow up shot off quicker (this was back in the "pump" days) and I ended up "dead".
The problem with using firearm under extreme stress is the same as in pushing your limits with motorcycles: the brain's hardwired "survival response" (SR in Keith Code's book)

The key to accurate shooting is not complcated:

1. sight alignment(perfect alignment of eye, rear sight, front sight and target)

2. proper sight picture(with the alignment achieved, one is to focus on the front sight and front sight only)

3. proper trigger control(smooth and consistant pressing of the trigger)

I was told by instructors that the stress of being in a gun fight is like being in a car or on a bike that you know is just about to impact an object; the natural SR is target fixation( :shocker: where is your gun pointing?) and tensing of the body( :eek: mashing of the trigger, sight alignment goes out of the window)... totally opposite of what's required to fire accurate shots... if a person is not properly trained in the basics of gun handling and marksmanship as well as its tactical applications, it's easy to see how easily one can miss even in close in fighting.

On the track, while going into a corner hot, how often do we look at the outside gravel pit thinking " :eek: I am gonna crash!!" instead of looking into the corner for the proper exit line? what about tensing up in the corner because we are using the handle bars as "worrying bars"(quoting Code).

As keith have said, "our untrained brain is constantly trying to kill us!"

In todays high tech world, we are used to buying gadgets to solve problems... many people think having a gun solves problems, the fact is that guns are very specialized tools and if a person is not trained properly and consistantly, it will become a much bigger problem then the one he or she was hoping to solve with it.

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
odonata said:
This happened 5 hours ago (5:30pm) as I was going to teach at the concert hall before our 8pm concert.

I was riding my R6 on the local street, going through a intersection, my lane was clear, no cars ahead of me for almost a big city block. The lane to my right was backed up slightly because there was a slow moving bus in the front.

As the light turned yellow, the car next to me decided to change into my lane (I guess to avoid getting stuck in the intersection), however he didn't use his turn signal. I was cautious and spotted this happening, so I swerved a bit to avoid getting hit from the side and to create more distance; I revved the engine to let him know I was there as I sped up to pass and get away from him, he honked his horn back at me... I saw him speeding up behind me in my rear view mirror, at that moment another car about 30 meters infront of me signaled to come into my lane, I slowed down, and the guy who nearly hit me before honked again and bumped into me at about 5 mph.

I stayed up, did not drop the bike or fall, I tried to put the bike on the stand but the bike was stuck in the upright position, (later I figured out that the car's plastic bumper was biting the tire) so he had to back up a bit to release me.

after the bike was freed, I put the bike on the side stand right there and walked over to him, he shouted at me: "why did you stop?" I told him about the car ahead of me, and I asked him if he saw me, he said nothing... so I asked him to pull over the the side of the road so we can exchange the legal info, he said "what for? why?" I told him that although my bike looked undamaged with the first glance, I wanted to be sure and exchange our info(besides it's a legal obligation)

So I got on my bike to pull over to the side, but he decided to drive away! :shocker:

I followed him, stayed behind him, memorizing his plate numbers, being careful not to let him have a chance to run me over with his car. At a red light, I pulled up next to him, waved at him and tried to get him to pull over, he ignored me completely,... since I know the area, I knew we were going towards to a LAPD station, so I rode away from him and went into the police station's parking lot and started telling 2 cops standing there what happened

About 5 minutes into speaking to the cops, he pulled in to the parking lot(perhaps realizing hit& run is a serious matter); with the help of the police we exchanged legal info.

While we were standing there, I finally noticed that my Graves ti exhaust can was dented badly in 2 spots(bottom and the top, the bracket was also deformed), and his car's plastic bumper had a nice round indentation in the center from my rear wheel.

During the whole situation, I was very well behaved, never aggressive... I surprised myself.

Anyway, that's what happened, tomorrow I will take to bike to a dealer and have them look over the whole thing carefully, on the way to work and coming home, I did notice that the rear wheel felt a bit odd, perhaps the alignment was off or the tire pressure had dropped.

I am glad that things were not worse then it was, nobody got hurt, since it was in a not-so-desirable area, I am also glad that no weapons were drawn, some of you may think I am joking when I say that, but that's a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY here, after all L.A. is the road rage/freeway shooting/police pursuit capital of the world.

I love riding, both on the track and on the street... everyday before I leave home for work, I always hug my son, look him in the eyes and say to him "I will see you later", and as I get on my bike, I think to myself that I will try to come home in one piece... although this was a real minor incident, I am going to do some more soul searching... I was lucky today, the fact is that we have almost no control of what happens in traffic.

I would hate to hear the bad news of anyone here getting hurt, hopefully this story serves as a reminder for you all to be careful when riding, especially on the streets.
I undertood you wery well BEN,
Around there are some crazy people....
I have ALEX,my little son,I understand you.......
Go my friend,GO and prudence....always!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts