MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened 5 hours ago (5:30pm) as I was going to teach at the concert hall before our 8pm concert.

I was riding my R6 on the local street, going through a intersection, my lane was clear, no cars ahead of me for almost a big city block. The lane to my right was backed up slightly because there was a slow moving bus in the front.

As the light turned yellow, the car next to me decided to change into my lane (I guess to avoid getting stuck in the intersection), however he didn't use his turn signal. I was cautious and spotted this happening, so I swerved a bit to avoid getting hit from the side and to create more distance; I revved the engine to let him know I was there as I sped up to pass and get away from him, he honked his horn back at me... I saw him speeding up behind me in my rear view mirror, at that moment another car about 30 meters infront of me signaled to come into my lane, I slowed down, and the guy who nearly hit me before honked again and bumped into me at about 5 mph.

I stayed up, did not drop the bike or fall, I tried to put the bike on the stand but the bike was stuck in the upright position, (later I figured out that the car's plastic bumper was biting the tire) so he had to back up a bit to release me.

after the bike was freed, I put the bike on the side stand right there and walked over to him, he shouted at me: "why did you stop?" I told him about the car ahead of me, and I asked him if he saw me, he said nothing... so I asked him to pull over the the side of the road so we can exchange the legal info, he said "what for? why?" I told him that although my bike looked undamaged with the first glance, I wanted to be sure and exchange our info(besides it's a legal obligation)

So I got on my bike to pull over to the side, but he decided to drive away! :shocker:

I followed him, stayed behind him, memorizing his plate numbers, being careful not to let him have a chance to run me over with his car. At a red light, I pulled up next to him, waved at him and tried to get him to pull over, he ignored me completely,... since I know the area, I knew we were going towards to a LAPD station, so I rode away from him and went into the police station's parking lot and started telling 2 cops standing there what happened

About 5 minutes into speaking to the cops, he pulled in to the parking lot(perhaps realizing hit& run is a serious matter); with the help of the police we exchanged legal info.

While we were standing there, I finally noticed that my Graves ti exhaust can was dented badly in 2 spots(bottom and the top, the bracket was also deformed), and his car's plastic bumper had a nice round indentation in the center from my rear wheel.

During the whole situation, I was very well behaved, never aggressive... I surprised myself.

Anyway, that's what happened, tomorrow I will take to bike to a dealer and have them look over the whole thing carefully, on the way to work and coming home, I did notice that the rear wheel felt a bit odd, perhaps the alignment was off or the tire pressure had dropped.

I am glad that things were not worse then it was, nobody got hurt, since it was in a not-so-desirable area, I am also glad that no weapons were drawn, some of you may think I am joking when I say that, but that's a VERY REAL POSSIBILITY here, after all L.A. is the road rage/freeway shooting/police pursuit capital of the world.

I love riding, both on the track and on the street... everyday before I leave home for work, I always hug my son, look him in the eyes and say to him "I will see you later", and as I get on my bike, I think to myself that I will try to come home in one piece... although this was a real minor incident, I am going to do some more soul searching... I was lucky today, the fact is that we have almost no control of what happens in traffic.

I would hate to hear the bad news of anyone here getting hurt, hopefully this story serves as a reminder for you all to be careful when riding, especially on the streets.

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
Its always a bad feeling when you start reading threads that start out that way, so glad to read you are o.k. :) Hopefully it won't take you more than a couple of rides to get rid of that shell-shocked feeeling you get after being in an incident like that.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
admin said:
Ben, I am really glad you were not injured in this incident. Please be careful out there.
Thanks, I know to be careful... except being careful doesn't guarantee anything... in today's situation, I was careful and did spot him trying to change lane... I am pretty sure he didn't see me at all.

What bothered me the most was his aggressive and belligerent attitute, although wearing my full leather gear, I was glad that he didn't try to run me off the road. :cussing:

I am not about to stop riding, but perhaps I will get a state-of-the-art soft body armor under my suit.

I mean the ballistic armor. :stickpoke

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK Ben. Bikes are metal and plastic, skin and bones is usually much harder to repair.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darkside said:
Its always a bad feeling when you start reading threads that start out that way, so glad to read you are o.k. :) Hopefully it won't take you more than a couple of rides to get rid of that shell-shocked feeeling you get after being in an incident like that.
thanks... it was more of the road rage aspect of the incident that was more unsettling, and being out in the open in that situation didn't feel too good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
735 Posts
ok maybe i missed it, it is miller time. :zzz: what kinda car was it? we need to know so we can stereotype cars by make/model :drummer:

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I'd still go after him for hit & run :later:

I think that type of attitude belongs behind bars rather than on the road. He deserves it

·
Registered
438 Posts
something similar like that sort of happened to me, but it involved little kids throwing rocks at me while riding my spr.......i'll talk to you guys more about that though, thats a whole other thread in itself.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
jskipper said:
something similar like that sort of happened to me, but it involved little kids throwing rocks at me while riding my spr.......i'll talk to you guys more about that though, thats a whole other thread in itself.

:shocker: :cry: I hope everything is okay

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ben,

Glad your fine AND it wasn't on the MV.

Nothing cheap about fixing Italians.

It's dangerous out there and each ride is like a mission. Still, SHIT happens :eek: :bawling: .

Not much you can do from behind. That guy was just a :cussing: .

Get out and ride today...AWAY from the world.

Peter

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ben, glad your ok. And your are right. It could have been a lot worse. Imagine if he was a hot-head carrying a gun. You just never know. Kudos for maintaining your composure. I think it was in the "Proficient Motorcycling" book where I read that this old fighter pilot compared riding a motorcycle in city traffic to going out on a fighter mission. It is a battlefield out there.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Southern CA drivers are easily the most asshole of anywhere I've ever been.

I cannot believe the aggression I see on the road every day.

Glad everything turned out OK for you Odonata.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What for a patience you have. I'm not sure I would be so kind, Odonata.

I'm happy you're OK to play cello and love your family !

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, everybody, I am glad that it was a easy one, could have been worse(I guess also could have been better too).

In my original post, I tried to be objective and tell you just "what happened", but what I saw and felt was a different story, I had a strong feeling that he was trying to prove a point... When I saw him coming up from behind me in my mirror , he was giving me the fingers and mouthing angry words, as I slowed down, I saw him honked at me again and then it looked like he was able to slowe down enough to avoid hitting me but purposely let the car rolled forward a bit more to prove a point or to intimidate me, and perhaps just didn't know where the nose of his car was exactly, or simply misjudged my speed and bumped into me... there was no sqeeching tires, no skid marks, just a bump. :stickpoke

When I went back to my bike to pull over so we could talk, he spung his tires and drove away fast, came very close to me and another car, which caused that driver to honk and swerve... when I was follwing him, I realized this guy may have had a reason to risk a hit-and-run charge, so I kept good distance away from him, I was careful so he couldn't cause me to hit him, or have have a chance to hit me, only when the red light boxed him in between cars I carefully rolled up next to him to try to get him to pull over while watched his movement in the car carefully, (I was prepared to bail if he does anything crazy) I shouted " pull over, I just want to talk to you." he looked straight ahead, ignoring me.

The only time he was able to calmed down was at the police station, I tried to speak to him nicely, telling him that I was glad we were ok and nothing was really damamged too badly, and I just wanted to talk to him. He was still pretty rude and belligerent, kept talking about his damaged bumper :mad: .

How did I keep my composure? I am not sure, I guess I just did not want the situations to escalate and get out of control, maybe years of martial arts training (specifically the Aikido part of it) and tactical firearms training has really "mellowed" me out? the fact is that just like riding on the street, you have no idea who you are dealing with when you are in a situation like that, and the level of aggression can go from condition "white" to "red" very quickly... I was taught to remember a quick line: "if it's not worth dying for, it's not worth fighting for" as reminder during situations like this. I was also very aware that it was just a small impact, and legally, it was completely his fault since he got me from behind, maybe that help me stay calm too.

A co-worker mention that perhaps this guy was also scared thought I was in somekind of Asian motorcycle gang or something :laughing: well, I guess that's reasonable, because he also had no idea who I was or what he was dealing with.

Excuse me for writing about it so much, it helped me organize what went on yesterday.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts